1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Any advice on rear glass install? Exasperated!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2024 | 04:55 PM
gwp36530
|
Cross-Country
Any advice on rear glass install? Exasperated!

63 F100 Short Flareside Restoration. About to give up after 4 tries. New gasket, no chrome. This is what I'm doing.... place gasket on glass with rope inside. Inserting from inside cab. Soap the gasket. When I start pushing the outside edge of gasket into place the gasket starts rolling and glass starts coming out of it's slot. The only gues I have is perhaps soap has gotten inside the glass slot causing it to roll out. I am doing this by myself but really wonder if another person pushing on it could keep it glass in its slot. Any ideas appreciated

Old 09-19-2024 | 05:41 PM
FarmMotorSports
Mountain Pass
I've always used a helper to shift and position the glass as necessary. Yes! My wife hates me for days afterwards....

The first time I watched "real glass installers" do an install, I was amazed how they smacked, beat and shoved a windshield into submission!

I also believe I've installed all my glass from outside the cab to in...

Old 09-19-2024 | 08:21 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist
Club FTE Gold Member
I always had someone else do that job, because I just knew I’d break my glass. But, I’ve seen videos where the helper uses suction cups to assist, and it worked a charm.

Old 09-20-2024 | 04:14 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro
Club FTE Silver Member
Doing the rear glass alone is almost an exercise in futility. You need someone to hold it in place then get all 4 corners started with a tool, that will center the glass. I use Castrol Red Rubber grease on the cord.
You can use masking tape to keep the seal in place. This is a windshield but same principle.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-20-2024 | 01:44 PM
7BercMerc
More Turbo
I agree that a helper is going to be the key. My son and I did mine without issue. I used these tools from Precision. Not necessary but helpful. This video was very helpful...

Old 09-20-2024 | 05:16 PM
gwp36530
|
Cross-Country
Think I'm ready to try again thanks to your encouragement. I believe you are correct....I need help pushing from inside. Thx much for the advice!

Old 09-20-2024 | 05:42 PM
7BercMerc
More Turbo
Originally Posted by gwp36530
Think I'm ready to try again thanks to your encouragement. I believe you are correct....I need help pushing from inside. Thx much for the advice!
Yes, I got a set of those suction cups for the install. Not really necessary but they were a big help. I bought some fairly cheap ones on Amazon. Harbor freight has them as well.
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-20-2024 | 11:43 PM
Christmas
Cargo Master
Needs to go from outside in.

Old 09-20-2024 | 11:47 PM
7BercMerc
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Christmas
Needs to go from outside in.
I'm not saying it can't go from the outside but I put mine in from the inside as recommended by Precision Rubber Products. Worked great. I posted their install video above. Windshield goes in from the outside.

Old 09-21-2024 | 09:15 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Club FTE Gold Member
I have done all rubber gasket glass from outside.
Did my 81 F100 by myself from outside.

Use thick cotton string NOT ROPE!
Fit rubber to glass, cotton string soaked in liquid dish soap fitted to gasket.
String crossed at bottom by a foot.
The small part of gasket goes to the body. For me that was from outside.
Fit glass / rubber to the bottom of opening. Just about the whole bottom of gasket should be in place.
pushing done on glass and rubber pull the string a little each side so the gasket edge kind of folds over. This is needed so much on the bottom as the gasket should be over the pinch weld.
Work the string little bit each side pushing in on the glass rubber where string is.
Also make sure glass rubber is pushed down when working it or top will not go into place.

Curved glass like old VW Bugs were a little harder to install and what I learned on.
Dave ----

Old 09-21-2024 | 10:05 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
I have trucks here that have never had their back window out. On the 1961-1966 trucks there is a wide and a narrow side to the weatherstrip. The wide side goes toward the inside of the cab and the narrow side goes to the outside. Doing it the other way the outside is too wide and doesn't lay in the outer channel of the cab like the narrow side does. The glass is too large to pass through the opening when positioned without the weatherstrip. The glass sits on the inside of the pinch weld. That means the glass and weatherstrip must be installed from the inside of the cab in order to be inside of the pinch weld.

Old 09-21-2024 | 10:18 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by TA455HO
I have trucks here that have never had their back window out. On the 1961-1966 trucks there is a wide and a narrow side to the weatherstrip. The wide side goes toward the inside of the cab and the narrow side goes to the outside. Doing it the other way the outside is too wide and doesn't lay in the outer channel of the cab like the narrow side does. The glass is too large to pass through the opening when positioned without the weatherstrip. The glass sits on the inside of the pinch weld. That means the glass and weatherstrip must be installed from the inside of the cab in order to be inside of the pinch weld.
In that case you are right from inside to out but the small side of the gasket is in the opening first.
I don't see why you can't do it the way I said other than you are working it from out side.
Dave ----

Old 09-21-2024 | 10:54 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
You CAN do it from the outside in and rope the gasket over the pinch weld from inside. The problem with that is then the glass is outside of the pinch weld. That's not how Ford did it originally and it makes the glass sit 'proud' of the opening rather than inside of the opening. Also, then you'd be placing the narrow side toward the inside and roping it in - leaving the wider side toward the outside and that's not how Ford did it. Or, you could do the wide side first from the outside and rope it in but the glass would still be external to the pinch weld.

Narrow bead side to the outside. Glass is inboard of the pinch weld.

Wide side to the inside. It also helps with holding the headliner material in place....

I recently removed the rear glass and I cut the weatherstrip from the outside and took the glass from inside. Impossible to take from the outside on an original install without laying the glass in some other position. The glass simply won't pass vertically through the opening even if you have no weatherstrip. I just tried it minutes ago and the glass clearly must sit on the inside of the pinch weld. Hold the naked glass outside in the curved channel or inside where there is almost a natural lip for it to sit on inside of the weatherstrip and it will be clear.

It could also help with the back window not blowing out going down the road with the windows down and vents open to the rear for maximum airflow. Not likely, but possible if the rear window is outside of the pinch weld. I'd say impossible if inside of the pinch weld. Can't be installed from the inside on all vehicles but these trucks are special.

Old 09-21-2024 | 11:04 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Pictures of my truck without the rear window. You can see the lip around the inside of the pinch weld that I mentioned. That's the area the glass sits in surrounded by the rubber seal.

Old 09-21-2024 | 11:50 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
If you can't watch the entire video that @7BercMerc posted above watch from about the 4:25 minute mark to about the 4:33 minute mark. That's just 8 seconds.

The following 2 users liked this post by TA455HO:

Quick Reply: Any advice on rear glass install? Exasperated!