Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2023 | 07:05 PM
Rick37
|
Mountain Pass
Club FTE Gold Member
R&R Time

Hello all,
it has been quite some time since I’ve been on the forum. Wife and I were going to build a house and Covid put that to rest with pricing sky rocketing.. so we bought a little piece of heaven that needed more work then the ol’ 7.3.

Unfortunately the time has come to give her some love. At 150k miles the Wisconsin salt and Brine got to the oil pan. She sits most of the time now that I’ve got my little car for my 60 mile round trip commute. With that being said, while it’s down and out I want to do anything and everything while she is easy to get to.

Must do:
-oil pan
-oil cooler while engine is out
-front hubs. (ESOF) hub locked up tight and the vacuum lines are shot.

On the list but probably can do without
-Injectors
-flex plate
-valve body
-intercooler

If you don’t remember I am running a t4 turbo setup, regulated return, 6637 blue filter and 1023 tunes. I feel like I could use a little more fuel up top and if that’s the case I’d like to build the trans a little. But I rarely tow with the truck heavy anymore.. Got easy to say no to hauling my tractor all over when I had my own projects to do.

If I decide to keep the ESOF I am guessing I will need to do more then just the locker and vacuum line. For the guys that have done the rebuild on vacuum system, was it worth it? Guys that switched to Warn or Mile Marker,any regrets?

anything else you guys would suggest while in there please don’t hesitate!! Do it right or don’t do it at all!

A fun picture of the tank sitting on the pumpkins. Tried turning around in the yard and found a soft spot.. the new Falken Wildpeaks dig, but I waited too long to switch to 4wd. What you don’t see is the 32’ gooseneck that I had to unhook and move… I am learning a lot about the land we own… I need a shirp.

Old 05-01-2023 | 07:20 PM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
If you're still on the factory flex plate then I'd probably move that from the maybe list to the need it list. Valve body is a meh, pretty sure you can just pick up a tugger kit and do it yourself and save money for those sticks. Why the intercooler, something wrong with yours?

Edit: If you think you need more fuel you can always do like the cool kids and drop a Bosch pump in the tank. My 040 is a beast. If the boost line is hooked to the regulator fuel pressure will go from 62# normal setting up over 80 psi at WOT. Without the boost line the pressure won't even quiver no matter how hard you flog it.

Old 05-01-2023 | 07:22 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
A couple things for you to ponder...

- When I went with a T4 turbo, the Gear Head and 1023 tunes I had been running with the MST no longer performed well. Luckily the PHP 65 HP tune does it all for me be it towing heavy or unloaded.
- Do you need an intercooler because yours is damaged or leaking? If not, then keep the 7.3L intercooler as it does a pretty good job.
- What about other seals and o-rings like the oil rails and oil cooler? They may be a good target for preventive maintenance.
- Water pump, manifolds, anything like that need attention?
- Suspension and steering components in good working order?

Sorry to hear about your plans changing, but perhaps it is a blessing in disguise.

Old 05-01-2023 | 07:38 PM
Rick37
|
Mountain Pass
Club FTE Gold Member
If you're still on the factory flex plate then I'd probably move that from the maybe list to the need it list.
Still stock!
Valve body is a meh, pretty sure you can just pick up a tugger kit and do it yourself and save money for those sticks. I will look into the tigger kit!
Why the intercooler, something wrong with yours?
-I am happy with my current setup, thought of going to 6.0 cooler to help with lower temps. But @Sous reply mentioned his 1023 tunes weren’t the best. Have been thinking about going with Andrew Arthur (AA Design and tuning) or some Jelibuilt.

Old 05-01-2023 | 07:42 PM
Rick37
|
Mountain Pass
Club FTE Gold Member
- Water pump, manifolds, anything like that need attention?
Plan on manifold gaskets for sure.
- Suspension and steering components in good working order?
Front end components are original, I am scared to go down that rabbit hole.. that might be another project at a later time!

Sorry to hear about your plans changing, but perhaps it is a blessing in disguise.[/QUOTE]
I don’t regret it one bit. We went from 3.3 acres to 22 and 2300 less per month on a mortgage!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Rick37:
Old 05-01-2023 | 09:48 PM
Kintla
Tuned
"For the guys that have done the rebuild on vacuum system, was it worth it? Guys that switched to Warn or Mile Marker,any regrets?"

I was a little torn on this. If I could've chosen options, I'd have done floor shift with manual hubs (and roll down windows and vinyl floors...) Though as I ended up with a Lariat with ESOF, I replaced wheel bearing assemblies and hubs with OEM. No regrets yet, one winter in the books and no problems. It is nice to not have to get out of the truck....

Old 05-02-2023 | 05:13 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by Rick37
I rarely tow with the truck heavy anymore.. Got easy to say no to hauling my tractor all over when I had my own projects to do.
Never say never. I found out I could rent trailers for hauling my race car to the track and so I decided I would never own a trailer and the maintenance headaches that come with it. Now I might be buying a 40' gooseneck/fifth wheel to move from MN to NV. Like you though, the changing economic landscape might put the kibosh on that if Biden's new rule to charge people with good credit more interest proves difficult to swallow.

Originally Posted by Rick37
If I decide to keep the ESOF I am guessing I will need to do more then just the locker and vacuum line. For the guys that have done the rebuild on vacuum system, was it worth it? Guys that switched to Warn or Mile Marker,any regrets?

anything else you guys would suggest while in there please don’t hesitate!! Do it right or don’t do it at all!
No regrets going to Warn Premiums at all. I even removed all the vacuum tubing and the solenoid for the hubs.

Old 05-02-2023 | 07:42 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
MN to NV?........WHAT?

Old 05-02-2023 | 08:07 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Dan V
MN to NV?........WHAT?
You never have to shovel sunshine.

The following 6 users liked this post by Kwikkordead:
aawlberninf350, Dan V, John in OkieLand, RacinJasonWV, Sous, Wes444 and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-02-2023 | 08:17 AM
FordTruckNoob
Club FTE Gold Member
MN to NV?........WHAT?
Didn't I tell you about this already?

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Pretty much!

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-02-2023 | 08:26 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
My bride calls herself a "CalNeva" girl. Say the only reason people live in MN is that they don't know any better.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-02-2023 | 08:27 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Didn't I tell youabout this already?

Pretty much!
I thought we were closer than we are I guess..../sad face

Old 05-02-2023 | 08:51 AM
FordTruckNoob
Club FTE Gold Member
I thought we were closer than we are I guess..../sad face
Shouldn’t it be we are closer than you think we are if I thought I had told you about it already?

Old 05-02-2023 | 09:29 AM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
Oh snap, this is gettin good.

Old 05-02-2023 | 09:33 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by udsuth78
Oh snap, this is gettin good.
He'll smoke me on this...him's colledge edjamacated and knows things.

Quick Reply: R&R Time