1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 FORD COE C600 BUILD

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015 | 09:07 PM
dynamic
|
FTE Chapter Leader
Club FTE Silver Member
So during tear down I came across this extra dipstick looking item.

I cannot make out the writing.... what the hell is this thing.

it runs up under the top of the engine near the turbo spider....

Old 10-05-2015 | 09:31 PM
old uhaul
Senior User
I think it is a water separator remote cable used on e series

Old 10-13-2015 | 09:31 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
this will be an awesome build, I love these bigger trucks

Old 10-17-2015 | 07:27 PM
dynamic
|
FTE Chapter Leader
Club FTE Silver Member
Today was a cab fitting day.

First thing is to make room for the 7.3 diesel.

After measuring over and over it was clear the engine wasn't going to fit under the floor.

so I needed to remove the original transmission cover.

Then its was time to break out the cut off wheel.

And then set up the cherry picker with my cab lifting jig and put the cab in place.

Here the cab is all propped up on the 1998 econoline chassis.

as you can see the fit is snug.

and the nose is in place

After I put the nose on I could see that cab needs to come backward another 6" or so to center the wheels.

Before I can move the cab backward anymore I need to figure out how I am going to secure the front of the cab to the chassis. Right now the cab is sitting on some chunks of 2x4's for mock up. I think I am going to remove one of the 2x4's to get the cab a little lower.

Eventually I plan on running at least 19.5 wheels, but may bump up to 22.5 Alcoa wheels to fill the openings.

Old 10-17-2015 | 09:22 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
It actually looks like a pretty good fit. I thought the engine was going to stick up through the floor quite a bit more then it is. Even if you drop the cab down a couple more inches it still isn't too bad.

And it looks like the front cab mounts line up pretty close with the chassis. So it should be fairly simple to fab up some mounting brackets for the front cab mounts.

Old 10-18-2015 | 04:55 PM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
C600 chassis fit

Tom:

As you know, I have put my cab on a 2003 E-350 chassis, which looks almost identical to yours. I am dropping in a 302, so I have plenty of room.

My cab is mounted much further forward than yours, with the front supports just about on top of the spring towers. I had to plasma cut out a small area of the cab support to get it right. The original cab sat just about 8" off the ground, and I am a little below that.

This mount centers the wheels perfectly in the fender. No luck posting pictures here for me.

Regards, Mark.

Last edited by Badmoonreizen; 10-19-2015 at 04:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-22-2015 | 08:29 PM
dynamic
|
FTE Chapter Leader
Club FTE Silver Member
Mark,

I've actually looked at the photos in your gallery a few times. I couldn't specifically tell where u had the cab mounted, but had a good idea. Any measurements? Maybe from the bumper brackets to the cab mount location?

Once I put the nose on I could tell that I needed to move the cab back some more as my tires were not centered.

But before I move back anymore I need to modify my cab lifting jig as my jig is maxing out causing the cab to tilt. Basically I need to drill a new hole a bit lower to gain some pivot.

Old 10-22-2015 | 08:32 PM
dynamic
|
FTE Chapter Leader
Club FTE Silver Member
And Christmas came early. But it was too dark out to open the crate and play with the contents. More to come when I'm home in the daylight.

Old 10-23-2015 | 03:43 AM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Tom:
I just put a picture in a new album (Wheel Centering) which may help. I'll get that measurement and maybe some better close-ups in the next week. Trying to get all the cars put away and winterized before the freezing stuff hits here.

Mark.

Last edited by Badmoonreizen; 10-23-2015 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 10-23-2015 | 03:31 PM
vintage56
Elder User
where the heck have I been?!

looking good, Tom!
subscribed and taking notes.

I have yet to hunt down a chassis / drivetrain donor for my COE project. Too many kids' activities and remodel/repairs to our new-to-us old house. I'm currently in mad-dash mode of knocking out house fixes to I can get to the COE asap.

I've been wanting to build more GVWR than the E350s offer. but last I researched, was bouncing off the front track width issue.

your my new favorite thread...
JML

Old 10-25-2015 | 07:09 AM
dynamic
|
FTE Chapter Leader
Club FTE Silver Member
and the contents of the crate were........

That's right.... I found some cab steps.....

and along with the steps I got all the brackets too....

In order to make shipping easier I asked that the main bar be cut in half. After all I have a welder....

These steps are in amazing condition as are the brackets. I got really lucky finding these.

Old 10-25-2015 | 07:16 AM
dynamic
|
FTE Chapter Leader
Club FTE Silver Member
After playing with my steps.....

I broke out the cab lifting jig and moved the E-series cab over to the scrap trailer.

After not getting any bites on the 53-56 F250 chassis.... it was time to cut it in half and get it ready for scrap too....

Old 10-25-2015 | 07:25 AM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
WOW!! And I looked for 2 years with no luck, other than attached to a full price cab.

Congratulations, Mark.

Old 10-30-2015 | 03:00 PM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Front end mount

Tom:
Finally got a chance to measure the placement of the cab on the E-350 chassis. The cab is welded, with cushions, 20" back from the front bumper mounting plate.
Hope this helps.

Regards, Mark.

Attached Images    
Old 12-05-2015 | 06:50 PM
dynamic
|
FTE Chapter Leader
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen
Tom:
Finally got a chance to measure the placement of the cab on the E-350 chassis. The cab is welded, with cushions, 20" back from the front bumper mounting plate.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Mark.

Mark, thanks for sharing. The measurements will be helpful when I get back on the project.

Their are a few factors that are holding me up at the moment.

I am still mulling over my cab mounts, but I am pretty certain the direction to go.

I am working on my wheel/tire combo which is giving me heart burn.

I needed to come up with an A/C pump from a 7.3 diesel so I could make sure the cab floor clears the pump.

The A/C pump ended up working out for me as my Buddy had one at his salvage yard. The pump is junk but it will do just fine for mockup.

The Donor.

Luckily the engine has the correct bracket already installed with a dummy idler pulley in place.

So I removed the dummy idler, and placed the a/c pump in place.

And after a trip to the local pick-n-pull I found the correct bolts for the pump. Believe it or not a late 90's 5.8 engine had the correct bolts. As finding a 7.3 in the salvage yard doesn't happen ever....

Quick Reply: 1956 FORD COE C600 BUILD