1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

7.3 or 6.7 for off road work

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017 | 01:03 PM
D K
|
New User
7.3 or 6.7 for off road work

Looking for some info here..

Ive spent a lot of time with a 7.3 and always thought it was a pretty decent engine.
I dont have any interest in the 6.0 or the 6.4, but the 6.7 seems like a great engine also.

So

Im looking to make a purchase here soon and considering either the first gen or the third gen.

How are the first gens off road?
Are the 3rd gens much better?

My truck needs to be able to haul a ~2000lb camper and tow 4000 lbs from time to time.

I dont mind lifting, modding, deleting - whatever, as long as it gets me a reliable, competent off road truck.

Any info is much welcome!

David

Old 03-12-2017 | 01:16 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Two very different animals technology wise. I had an '02 F250 4x4 that had 140k on it when I sold it, I blew a turbo ...my fault and changed the glo plugs at 139k, other than that no problems. It was a great running truck that pulled our 5th wheel, not fast but it still pulled it at freeway speeds..... I never regretted buying it. I just changed the oil and filter at 5,000 miles and use Opti Lube in the fuel.

The '16 F350 dually I bought is just so much better at pulling and more comfortable .....and a lot quieter. It's got 6,000 miles so far, 1 oil change and DEF fill, other than that no problems as there shouldn't be. It just amazes me how effortless this truck pulls our 12K 5th wheel up a grade. So it's a BIG difference in trucks and prices. If you can find a clean '02 F250/350 that has been taked care of and it suits your needs then buy it, the 7.3 is old school but still a great engine.

Old 03-12-2017 | 01:35 PM
D K
|
New User
Good info...

What about fuel mileage?

Originally Posted by cyncwby
Two very different animals technology wise. I had an '02 F250 4x4 that had 140k on it when I sold it, I blew a turbo ...my fault and changed the glo plugs at 139k, other than that no problems. It was a great running truck that pulled our 5th wheel, not fast but it still pulled it at freeway speeds..... I never regretted buying it. I just changed the oil and filter at 5,000 miles and use Opti Lube in the fuel.

The '16 F350 dually I bought is just so much better at pulling and more comfortable .....and a lot quieter. It's got 6,000 miles so far, 1 oil change and DEF fill, other than that no problems as there shouldn't be. It just amazes me how effortless this truck pulls our 12K 5th wheel up a grade. So it's a BIG difference in trucks and prices. If you can find a clean '02 F250/350 that has been taked care of and it suits your needs then buy it, the 7.3 is old school but still a great engine.

Old 03-12-2017 | 06:58 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
I've never been a fan of doing any off roading with a truck. Too light in the rear and any 250 or bigger I've been on rough roads with would beat you to death. My off road vehicle is a bronco and it's a world of difference between the two. A lighter duty truck would give you a better ride and still haul what you need.

Old 03-12-2017 | 08:47 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
You know I never really looked at fuel mileage, just figured big truck, big engine......chitty mileage. I did get 10.5 mpg last time I pulled the 5th wheel with the dually....good enuf for me.

Old 03-12-2017 | 09:13 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck
Club FTE Silver Member
Off-road like what? Driving in the cotton fields checking the sprinklers and fueling up the equipment? Golden Crack at Moab? Forest roads to deer camp? Waxing the unscuffed chrome steps and 24s in the mall parking lot before the car show? Mudding on the weekend? Heavy oil field use with 6 guys in the crew cab and the ice in your coolers alone is more weight than an F-150 can legally carry? Big differences between all the above.

Choosing between a minimum 14-year old truck versus no more than 6 years old isn't trivial, way more than just the engine to worry about. Considering any Super Duty (and probably any F-Series?) ever made can pull what you mentioned, you gotta be more specific.

Old 03-12-2017 | 09:33 PM
irydasteelhorse
Mountain Pass
CARRYING a 2000 lb camper is certainly no job for "any f series" truck. and putting 4000 lbs behind that definitely is diesel territory. I expect a well maintained 7.3 would do the job well, as would the newer model. newer also has trans and braking upgrades. id say, if you have the money to spend, buy the newer model. if money is a bit tight, the 7.3 is a workhorse and time proven.

Old 03-12-2017 | 10:03 PM
D K
|
New User
Off road work similar to what my first post mentioned: ie remote outings with a camper on the back.
Some moab type of stuff, little bit of desert/baja, but mostly going over boulders, fallen trees etc etc.
i would eventually like to drive down to Chile, all the while being self sufficient.

Idea being that it has to be reliable and capable of getting out of trouble.
I want to fit the biggest size tires on it possible with the lowest lift and get max articulation.
Yes, there more off road capable trucks out there, but myneeds are very specific as it needs to be able to all this with a camper on the back.

I remember from working as a wrecker driver that the 7.3s were fairly reliable but Im also aware that they are pretty antiquated by now.
Still, if they are able to be made more efficient and reliable, then they couldbe an attractive option.

My main concern is the rest of the truck, and not the towing capabilities of either.
Im more interested in which generation has better suspension for off road, which articulated better, which can take a bigger tire, which is cheaper to mod and repair, etc etc etc..

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Off-road like what? Driving in the cotton fields checking the sprinklers and fueling up the equipment? Golden Crack at Moab? Forest roads to deer camp? Waxing the unscuffed chrome steps and 24s in the mall parking lot before the car show? Mudding on the weekend? Heavy oil field use with 6 guys in the crew cab and the ice in your coolers alone is more weight than an F-150 can legally carry? Big differences between all the above.

Choosing between a minimum 14-year old truck versus no more than 6 years old isn't trivial, way more than just the engine to worry about. Considering any Super Duty (and probably any F-Series?) ever made can pull what you mentioned, you gotta be more specific.

Old 03-12-2017 | 10:13 PM
dkf
Hotshot
I wouldn't be getting a diesel for those tasks. Offroad an extra 600+ on the front axle doesn't help at all.

Old 03-12-2017 | 11:00 PM
D K
|
New User
It doesnt.

But having a camper at least it will be better balanced...

Im a sucker for diesels. Ecause of the fuel economy for towing and otherwise

Old 03-12-2017 | 11:14 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
The 7.3 is one of the most durable, indestructible engines ever built. Unfortunately it was coupled to one of the worst automatic transmissions (4R100) produced in recent history. It can be built into a decent transmission, but in stock form they are the weak link in the truck. I'd opt for the '11 up. The '11-up also rides noticeably better and has a better turning radius.

Old 03-12-2017 | 11:28 PM
D K
|
New User
Thank you

How are they off road though?
Are they better than the early ones?

D

Originally Posted by P.Bronner
The 7.3 is one of the most durable, indestructible engines ever built. Unfortunately it was coupled to one of the worst automatic transmissions (4R100) produced in recent history. It can be built into a decent transmission, but in stock form they are the weak link in the truck. I'd opt for the '11 up. The '11-up also rides noticeably better and has a better turning radius.

Old 03-13-2017 | 12:18 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Diesel.....through Central and South America???? What about fuel quality??
Just asking......something to think about.
Good luck.

Old 03-13-2017 | 01:12 AM
D K
|
New User
Fuel quality is actually less important on diesels.
Fuel purity is important, but thats why you get water seperators and extra filters...

Originally Posted by 99150
Diesel.....through Central and South America???? What about fuel quality??
Just asking......something to think about.
Good luck.

Old 03-13-2017 | 02:07 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
The 7.3 is one of Ford's most reliable diesel engines and there were a lot that are still going to this day, the problem is though the people that have them arent giving them up cheap and the parts are starting to get to the point of getting tougher to find and obviously compared to todays diesels that is technology that is way back and your not going to get the creature comforts of todays trucks, but they have been a solid truck for the owners no doubt about it.

The 6.7 has been a solid engine for Ford, we all know the beating Ford's rep took from the early 6.0 and to an extent the 6.4, but Ford taking the engine in house and getting it into the trucks and making the engine reliable for the most paert with exception of the early turbo's and 11 engines that had valve issues and of course the sensors going pfft in the exhaust but Ford seems to have done a lot of work to mitigate the issues

There are a ton of 6.7 owners that are happy campers and love their trucks because the engines have been good for them. Lots of people using them to tow and tow heavy and are having good success with them. The 6.7 trucks with the comfort features and that engine are going to top a 7.3 for comfort and torque and ability to pull.

I dont think you could go wrong either way to be honest. My advice would be to go and drive some 6.7's and see what you think of it, I am sure you will like it, I have no doubt. The one thing your going to have to decide on is how much you want to spend, finding a 7.3 in good condition wont be cheap but it would obviously be cheaper then a 6.7, but the two trucks are different beat one has technology from the era, and the other has technology that is recent.

If I was going to be on the road as far as your planning to be, I would go with the 6.7 not only for the comfort and ease of use, but because the trucks for the most part have been pretty good for the owners and Fords rep.

A 7.3 would work as well but its a rough riding sun of a gun and it will pull and do what you need it to, but you will definitely be feeling the ride all the way there and back....lol

I think you would be solid with either choice, but I would lean to the 6.7 if it were me.