1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

What to buy????

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010 | 07:30 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mblanken881
Thats more than once I've heard the 6.0s need to be maintained well. What kind of maintenance are we talking about here? I know diesels generally require more maintenance than gas trucks and I'm prepared for that. What kind of time and money are we talking about here for maintenance on the 6.0s? Is it maintenance I can do in my driveway or maintenance that has to be done at a shop?

Thanks,

Mike

Oil changes every 7,500 miles, fuel filters every 15,000 miles, drain the HFCM every oil change (free), and you will be good to go. Fuel filters will set you back around $60 a set of two, and oil changes will run you around $55 if you do it yourself. Oh, and slap a bottle of Diesel Kleen in every other tank... it will reward you.

Old 07-14-2010 | 08:44 PM
Phone_girl_NE
Freshman User
While the Ford side of Woodhouse is great, I will not deal with the Dodge side again, ever!

Old 07-15-2010 | 03:34 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Not necessarily total ignorance, but half educated for sure.
The 6.0L is not a perfect engine, and did have some bugs as all motors do. I will address the main issues that people have had with them and add the truth to help you firgure out fact from fiction.

1. 6.0L's have bad head gaskets. Untrue. Often times people modify them beyond what they are capible of, and increase boost which tends to stretch the head bolts and cause gasket issues. As with all engines, the 6.0L's life will decrease with an increase in modifications, and simply increasing boost/horsepower without supporting mods will cause premature failure.

2. The 6.0L has a much better transmission than other trucks. This is one of those rumors about the 6.0L that is very true. The 5R110W is a much improved transmission over the 4R100W and the Torqeshift is also much stronger.

3. The 6.0L has oil cooler/EGR/EGR cooler issues. True, sort of. The early 6.0Ls had sand castings in the oil cooler and an EGR cooler that can clog with soot. This was corrected by 2005, however this can greatly be corrected by the "Drive it like you stole it" approach once and a while.

4. 6.0L engines have turbo problems. The turbo can stick on a 6.0L but is mostly due to improper service (too long on oil changes).

5. 6.0L engines do not like mods/tuners. This is true, but if the truck is outfitted with an EGR delete and head studs it can easily tolerate just about whatever you would like to throw at it.

6. The 6.0L is quieter than the 7.3L. Yes, and by quite a large margin. Matter of fact, when driving on the interstate at speed, I cannot even hear the truck running when I let off the throttle, and have a very slight sound when maintaining speed.

7. The 6.0L gets better mileage and power than other motors. True. The 6.0L gets much better mileage than the 7.3L and 6.4L on average, and has more towing ability than the 7.3L. While these may not reflect the average, my crew cab 6.0L dually 4X4 gets around 18-20MPG. 6.4L's get around 12-14 usually. Most 6.0Ls average around 16 or so.

8. 6.0L's are harder/more expensive to maintain. Yes and no. Working on these engines with basic service is actually easier. Oil changes are a breeze, you don't have a canister filter to deal with, it is a filter element right on top of the engine. Filters are about double the price of the 7.3L counterpart at around $20 each, and a Motorcraft filter is required, as is Motorcraft oil. Also, the transmission requires Mercon SP fluid which is pretty much dealership only and runs around $5 a quart. All in all though, they are pretty close to the price of servicing a 7.3L.

9. 6.0L's have bad injectors. There are some 6.0L engines that have had premature injector failure, but a lot of this also falls back to proper oil change intervals/proceedures.

10. 6.0L's don't like to be neglected. This is very true. The basic service intervals are 7,500 miles per oil change, 15,000 per fuel filter(s) change. They do not like to be neglected like the 7.3L could be done, but if properly serviced a 6.0L engine will give you many, many years of good service.

11. I should get an OASIS report before buying a 6.0L truck. This is true with any truck, and a 6.0L is no exception. The OASIS will tell you how the truck was treated in the past, and will show if there was a history of problems.

All in all, if you get a 2003-2007 PSD that has a clean OASIS report (or one that does not have a huge history of issues on the report) then you will be buying a very good truck! If I had heard/believed all of the rumors about the 6.0L before buying one, I would have missed out on a great rig! I have not had a single problem with my truck and absolutely love it! Not to say that there is not a place for the 7.3L, 6.4L, or V10 truck, but the 6.0L is a fantastic rig all around. In the end it is all about what you need, but do not shy away from the 6.0L based on rumors. To conclude, most of the problems that people have with the 6.0L has been due to improper service or modifications making the truck do what it simply was not designed to do. Service it regularly and allow it to warm up properly before you get into the pedal and you will be rewarded by a great truck that will pull anything you can toss at it, great fuel economy, and a nice quiet ride! Good luck with the decision!
Very well done. Save this thread because it comes up alot and you summed up everything nicely. As far as the ignorance thing, you're probably right Rob I guess its growing a little old me hearing people talk about how bad a 6.0 is when they have no expirence with one. I guess its in my 6.0 blood... Or oil...

Old 07-15-2010 | 04:07 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Great summary of 6.0-era trucks.

I drove an '05 6.0 and agree that the 5 speed auto transmission shifts better, has better gear spacing, and seems more coordinated that the trans. in my '01. The truck was quite a bit quieter and clearly more powerful.

Every diesel shop I talked to pointed me to a 7.3, however....and having said that, I ended up buying an '01 7.3 and do not regret it. The sloppy transmission shifts (it's functioning properly - it's just the nature of the beast) and wide spacing between 3rd and 4th gears are disappointing in the 4R100. It feels stone-age in sophistication compared to my '95 T*y*ta Land Cruiser or about any other transmission of the last two decades. It's a tow rig for me, so I don't drive it every day.

Old 07-15-2010 | 06:41 PM
81beast
Junior User
Originally Posted by sammy77
I would think you would educate your sales people a little better. I for one would be rubbed the wrong way no matter what brand I'm lookin for. I hear a load of crap like this when I'm lookin at something. You know this isn't true and theres no line to trade your 6.0 diesel in at 10k miles. I know I'm a stickler for it, but honesty means alot to me. Don't just make up BS because selling another brand may put a few more $$$ in your pockets. (I don't know if thats the case) Now that being said, 1 bad salesperson doesn't make it a bad place to do buisness...
Selling another brand is his job, he works at a Dodge dealership. He should be pushing the Uterus horns. When I bought my '04 6.0 PS, it had around 30k on it and already had a new turbo at 19k among other things like injectors. I never had any issues with the truck myself, though.

I have no experience with the 7.3 personally, but all I have heard is great things from owners of those diesels. There are issues with a 6.0 that you should never have with the 7.3 and although no one at Woodhouse should be bashing a Ford product, that salesman probably did have a valid point. Who knows, that 6.0 may have been sitting there for a while and may not have been the best example of a 6.0 truck and he wanted to make sure the buyer would be happy long after the sale and without sending him to the other store (Ford store) he would rather see him in another brand.
The Ford side of Woodhouse has probably sold more 6.0L trucks than any other dealership, ever. They know all about the 6.0 and when I owned mine they invited me to a class they had just for diesel owners about maintainance and sercive of diesel trucks (although I did not attend).

Because of all the extra maintainance requirements and costs of owning a diesel, I now own a 6.8 V10. My driving and towing habits do not necessitate owning a diesel anyways, but they sure are fun with a nasty tune! There are times I wish that i still had a PS, especially when towing. I personally would not shy away from a 6.0 if I really did need a diesel.

Old 07-18-2010 | 03:23 PM
mblanken881
|
Elder User
Thanks everybody for all your help and knowledge. I ended up buying a 2005 F-250 Fx4 White Crew Cab with the 6.0 yesterday. Truck has 127,6xx miles on it. The truck was a California truck and is VERY clean. I'm excited about it and a little less nervous about breakdowns after reading ALOT of the information on this forum!!!!

Thanks everybody for your help. Gotta love FTE!!

Old 07-18-2010 | 10:48 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sammy77
Very well done. Save this thread because it comes up alot and you summed up everything nicely. As far as the ignorance thing, you're probably right Rob I guess its growing a little old me hearing people talk about how bad a 6.0 is when they have no expirence with one. I guess its in my 6.0 blood... Or oil...

Thank you Sammy. I get sick of the 6.0L bashing myself, but it is not my place to blindly defend the motor. There are problems with the design as with all vehicles, but for the most part these problems can be avoided. I am completely happy with my 6.oh and would not hesitate at all to recommend one to a friend.