Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Another "truck won't start" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:01 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by manalex
PaysonPSD IS THE MAN! (at least I assume your a man). Got back to the truck this afternoon, took the cigar lighter out, plugged in the new fuse and got the OBD2 port working. I'm not a smoker so I'll track that short down a bit later.

I used the Actron Autoscanner OBD II Scan Tool (Model CP9575) and it appears to be working and reading Ford specific codes! The menu system went through and asked me for vehicle info right down to the 7.3L diesel engine type. Got it at AutoZone and for far less than a AE with the Ford bundle. Not too sure but I think it does some testing too. I'll look into that later on as well.

These are the codes I pulled I don't think they are generic OBD2, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone can confirm this. I copied them all down as desplayed on the unit:

P0476-Exhaust Pressure Control Valve Range/Performance
P1283-Injector Pressure Regulator Circuit Malfunction
P0236-Turbo charger/Super charger boost sensor A circuit range/performance
P1284-Integrated Control Panel Malfunction-Aborts Key On, Engine Off or CCT Test
P1501-Vehicle Speed sensor out of self test range
P0470-Exhaust pressure sensor A Circuit
P0566-Cruise Control Off Signal Malfunction

I hope this helps narrow down the issue so I can get working on the repairs. As always any assisitance is greatly appreciated.

Alex
Now that you have a copy of the codes clear them and rerun code retrieval. Let us know if list changes. I've got some running around to do but I'm sure someone will chime in to help.

You really should clear that short to ground now. Might be a problem possibly causing some codes.

Your assumption is correct. I guess you didn't see my thread "My Shiny New Nuts With Pic".

Old 03-18-2010, 03:44 PM
manalex
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks PaysonPSD.

I cleared the codes. The truck started right up and now idles better than it ever has (suspect that's the CPS working correctly). But after about a minute, it shuts down as if the key's been turned off. The SES light came on for a split second just as it shut down, but did not stay on. I remember the same thing happened when the truck first left me stranded on the side of the road a couple of weeks back. The reader still indicates no codes read. Seems as though its something that's about to fail, but whatever it is, it hasn't given up completely.

Any ideas? What did the codes tell you? Are there any other areas that you would like for me to look into/check out?

Thanks again-looking at this as a challenge now.

Alex

Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
manalex
Freshman User
Can anybody help?

Old 03-19-2010, 01:50 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
This DTC is very suspicious (P1283-Injector Pressure Regulator Circuit Malfunction) but you say that now when it dies you do not get any codes.

Can the scantool you are using data-log. If so, it would be nice to see what hapens leading up to the time it dies. ICP, ICP Duty Cycle while it is running and keep watching it until it dies. If the scantool does not data-log just watch these parameters and try to see what what happens to the numbers. Maybe this will help narrow down what is causing it to die.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 PM
manalex
Freshman User
Thanks again PaysonPSD.

Don't have the manual or the scanner with me, but according to the website "It reads and displays live engine data". I'm not sure what it will display, but I don't remember seeing anything like "ICP" or "ICP duty cycle." I'll play with it some more tomorrow and report back.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:33 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I would suggest a couple of simple tests to determine how well your scanner works. Unplug the ICP sensor and start the truck up. Check for codes. Do you get a P1280? Plug it back in and clear any codes. With the truck off, unplug the CPS and then crank as if trying to start the truck for 30 seconds. Do you get a P034x code?

If not, you're not seeing the diesel specific codes. Generic readers will still read generic codes on our 7.3 diesels. We just need to know what we can rule out based on what codes you are or are not seeing.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:07 AM
manalex
Freshman User
Originally Posted by F350-6
I would suggest a couple of simple tests to determine how well your scanner works. Unplug the ICP sensor and start the truck up. Check for codes. Do you get a P1280? Plug it back in and clear any codes. With the truck off, unplug the CPS and then crank as if trying to start the truck for 30 seconds. Do you get a P034x code?

If not, you're not seeing the diesel specific codes. Generic readers will still read generic codes on our 7.3 diesels. We just need to know what we can rule out based on what codes you are or are not seeing.
Pulled the ICP and the truck wouldn't start. So much so that it killed the batteries. No codes-so this unit does not pull Ford Specific codes.
BTW, no oil on the ICP sensor.

Put the ICP back in, battery charger and it started right up. Ran it a few minutes, 1000 rpm, 2000 rpm and it worked fine. Then the SES light flashed and it wanted to shut down again, but didn't. A few minutes later, another SES flash and shut down. After it shuts down it will start up right away-no issues then repeat.
No codes on the generic scanner.
No constant SES after shut down.

Checked the oil in the HPOP reservoir, about an inch or so from the top. BTW-make sure to put the plug back in before you start the engine-don't ask.

Am I going to need to go to the dealer to get the proper codes scanned?

Old 03-20-2010, 10:37 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Pulled the ICP and the truck wouldn't start. So much so that it killed the batteries. No codes-so this unit does not pull Ford Specific codes.
The truck should start with the sensor unplugged. You did do the one on the front inboard side of the driver head, right? Try wiggling the wiring harness to the ICP with it plugged in and the truck running. Can you make it stall by wiggling the wires?

Oh, and fill your crankcase oil back up if you tried to start with that little reservoir plug removed.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:54 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
It should start with the ICP sensor unplugged. Sounds like an IPR issue. Check the connector and wiring at the IPR. With the IPR connector removed check the resistance of the IPR coil. It should be approximately 10.5 ohms and the reading should be steady and not bounce around. The coil will slide off the IPR by simply removing the tin nut.

If I were you I would contact Actron to see if the CP9575 can read Ford 7.3 PSD specific codes. There is a Customer Service tab at this LINK .

This Actron video says that you may be able to enter the vehicle make, year and engine size. LINK It's a 7 and 1/2 minute video.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:54 PM
manalex
Freshman User
Originally Posted by F350-6
The truck should start with the sensor unplugged. You did do the one on the front inboard side of the driver head, right? Try wiggling the wiring harness to the ICP with it plugged in and the truck running. Can you make it stall by wiggling the wires?

Oh, and fill your crankcase oil back up if you tried to start with that little reservoir plug removed.
Yes, that's the one. Tried to start it with the sensor unplugged again and it started up-I'm thinking with all the starts and stops this is taking a toll on the batteries. I need to keep an eye on the batteries to make sure it doesn't introduce any more issues. Anyway it started back up-no codes. Plugged it back in, wiggled the wires, did not cause the truck to shut down.

I also cleaned out the harness/connections just to make sure they were OK. On the outside they were pretty dirty, but the inside looked good.

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
It should start with the ICP sensor unplugged. Sounds like an IPR issue. Check the connector and wiring at the IPR. With the IPR connector removed check the resistance of the IPR coil. It should be approximately 10.5 ohms and the reading should be steady and not bounce around. The coil will slide off the IPR by simply removing the tin nut.

If I were you I would contact Actron to see if the CP9575 can read Ford 7.3 PSD specific codes.
How do you check the resistance of the IPR Coil?

Emailed Actron yesterday, hopefully they'll get back to me on Monday. The unit is odd. I remember it asking me a lot of info about the truck, now I plug it in and it just attempts to read the codes.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:20 PM
manalex
Freshman User
Never mind-I figured out how to measure the resistance of the IPR coil. I wish I had known that it came off so easily before trying to clean the terminal. Anyway, its at a steady at 10.8 Ohms.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:07 PM
TDITim
New User
PaysonPSD IS THE MAN! (at least I assume your a man). Got back to the truck this afternoon, took the cigar lighter out, plugged in the new fuse and got the OBD2 port working. I'm not a smoker so I'll track that short down a bit later.

I used the Actron Autoscanner OBD II Scan Tool (Model CP9575) and it appears to be working and reading Ford specific codes! The menu system went through and asked me for vehicle info right down to the 7.3L diesel engine type. Got it at AutoZone and for far less than a AE with the Ford bundle. Not too sure but I think it does some testing too. I'll look into that later on as well.

These are the codes I pulled I don't think they are generic OBD2, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone can confirm this. I copied them all down as desplayed on the unit:

P0476-Exhaust Pressure Control Valve Range/Performance
P1283-Injector Pressure Regulator Circuit Malfunction
P0236-Turbo charger/Super charger boost sensor A circuit range/performance
P1284-Integrated Control Panel Malfunction-Aborts Key On, Engine Off or CCT Test
P1501-Vehicle Speed sensor out of self test range
P0470-Exhaust pressure sensor A Circuit
P0566-Cruise Control Off Signal Malfunction

I hope this helps narrow down the issue so I can get working on the repairs. As always any assisitance is greatly appreciated.

Alex
I didn't think the CP9575 was available yet, what did you pay for it? Thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 07:32 PM
manalex
Freshman User
Can't remember off hand, but I think it was in the $130 range. Bought a bunch of other items with it. I got it at AutoZone.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:27 AM
manalex
Freshman User
Just talked to Actron and they gave me an explination of how their unit works. Here's how I understood it to work, or not, as the case may be...

Basically, they said that the unit isn't really intended to work on a diesel truck, more specifically a truck that's considered medium/heavy duty as those have different protocals. They said that their unit will pick up codes from the PCM, but that on diesels all codes are not generated or stored on the PCM. Many codes are generated from the Injector Control Module (?) and it does not always transfer the data/codes to the PCM. As a result, the unit will not be able to read the codes becuase it can only access the PCM. The ICM has the ability to turn on the SES light without letting the PCM know.

Any other ideas? I need the truck this weekend and I may bite the bullett and take it to the stealership.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM
manalex
Freshman User
Gave up and took it to the dealership. I've only had this truck for a few months so I'm still getting to know it. When I purchased the truck I specifically asked if it had been tuned or if it had a chip-they said "no".

he dealer found a chip and said that it was malfunctioning and causing the no start issue. Took the chip out and they had to re-flash the stock computer. Had a few other things done and the truck runs fine now. Although seems like it has less power as expected. Right now I'm more interested in reliability than power.

In case anyone is interested it was a Hypertech. Seemed pretty old as some of the decals/stickers seemed very faded and worn.

Quick Reply: Another "truck won't start" thread