Sponsored by: Moser

One tire inside wheel well one tire outside wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:34 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ERICG1
When I first saw this thread I was completely unaware of this problem...
This is really funny and pretty much makes my point. If you had never thought about it, your world would be fine. All of a sudden you have a "problem".

Do you think people on the street will now stop in their tracks and laugh at your truck because YOU know it is not exactly symmetrical?

My recommendation for everyone here is to just not think about it, and focus your thoughts on positive energy. Do something kind for someone else with the energy you're wasting on this. Spend the time with your kids or your wife, or help out a charity or an elderly neighbor, especially this time of year. Read a book and learn something. Life goes on. Ford trucks continue to do what they are designed to do.

Happy holidays to all; this entire issue is a problem only if you choose to view it as one. Nothing more I can say that I haven't already said here.

George

Old 12-13-2009, 12:41 PM
vbarker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A high five to Yogeorge, this tread sounds like a panic attack over a trivial thing. If these owners are the only ones that notice this small issue then they need to go find something else to waste their time on. My 07 have been nothing short of great

Old 12-13-2009, 12:43 PM
ERICG1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shotgunz, are you yanking my chain !!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:47 PM
ERICG1
New User
George, I did not say I thought it was a problem !! My 09 drives great and I love to drive it. I was just posting my own findings. Yeah I said I probably never would have even noticed it. Ford builds the best trucks IMHO.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:52 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
George, I did not say I thought it was a problem !! My 09 drives great and I love to drive it. I was just posting my own findings. Yeah I said I probably never would have even noticed it. Ford builds the best trucks IMHO.
Oh and one more thing, my 2010 was built in the Kansas City plant. For anyone who's truck is out of whack, please post which plant the truck was built at to find out if it is a plant specific problem.
Shotgunz, are you yanking my chain !!
Nope. Assuming you meant "are you yanking my chain?"

Old 12-13-2009, 12:54 PM
ERICG1
New User
Shotgunz, go back to your van down by the river.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:59 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Shotgunz, go back to your van down by the river.
Uh - good one.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:21 PM
skywagon
Senior User
Oh and one more thing, my 2010 was built in the Kansas City plant. For anyone who's truck is out of whack, please post which plant the truck was built at to find out if it is a plant specific problem.
Damn, sure glad mine is perfect or I would have another thing to fret about RORFFLMAO!!

Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 PM
ERICG1
New User
Actually I don't give a s***. I can afford to buy a new truck every year with cash, so if my wheels are off they will be replaced with a new truck in less then 12 months.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:55 AM
berry1234
Logistics Pro
Forget the spacer idea-bad. Deal with it until Ford addresses it. Usually a TSB follows about a year after a lot of people bitch about it enough.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:56 PM
johnwill
Senior User
Old 12-14-2009, 05:13 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by johnwill
Pretty funny and exactly what I expected. Like I said, I looked at exactly one Chevy pickup and it was clear that the 2 sides were different by probably an inch. I measured my E150 van and it's 3/4" different (yawn).

Pickup trucks (and body/frame vans) are big metal boxes bolted to crude frames, just like vehicles were made in the year 1900. I bet they were crooked back then too.

There is nothing wrong with anyone's truck unless the wheels are not square on the frame, which would make for the truck pulling to one side while driving or braking, tires would wear out weird, etc. A truck is 200-240 inches long and 80 inches wide. What percentage difference are we talking about here? A one degree mounting difference on a 240 inch long body is over 2 inches, so were talking about the body mounting being off by a half degree or less. There are production tolerances here. There will be no TSB and no recall....the sky is not falling.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 PM
berry1234
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Pretty funny and exactly what I expected. Like I said, I looked at exactly one Chevy pickup and it was clear that the 2 sides were different by probably an inch. I measured my E150 van and it's 3/4" different (yawn).

Pickup trucks (and body/frame vans) are big metal boxes bolted to crude frames, just like vehicles were made in the year 1900. I bet they were crooked back then too.

There is nothing wrong with anyone's truck unless the wheels are not square on the frame, which would make for the truck pulling to one side while driving or braking, tires would wear out weird, etc. A truck is 200-240 inches long and 80 inches wide. What percentage difference are we talking about here? A one degree mounting difference on a 240 inch long body is over 2 inches, so were talking about the body mounting being off by a half degree or less. There are production tolerances here. There will be no TSB and no recall....the sky is not falling.

Thanks Nostradamus.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:33 PM
ruff rider
Junior User
Guys don't worry so much.....don't forget the world ends in 2012

Old 12-15-2009, 09:41 AM
whalebird
Senior User
My 09, built in March, has no visible problems. I stress that you cannot use the body panels as a referance point. They are uneven on all cars and cannot be used as a chassis referance. DO NOT PUT SPACERS ON ANY of the wheels. This will dramatically effect the ABS, ride, and handling of the truck. before anyone jumps to conclusions on this, look at all other potential culprits. A strait edge on the tire is so far from reality that it cannot be used. A camber gauge on the rear wheels will display why. The tire is rubber and mis-shapen. The sheetmetal is unevan from side to side. You really do not have a problem, and adding spacers to one or mor wheels is absurd and unsafe. If anyone from Ford(dealer, factory) suggests a spacer on any of the wheels, you need to get in touch with their supervisor. You will eventually find a highly concerned individual that will offer you an explanation, probably a lot like I have offered.

Quick Reply: One tire inside wheel well one tire outside wheel well