1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Paint peeling off or just tape?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:33 PM
dbkarbo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint peeling off or just tape?

If you stand in front of my 2008 f-250 and look directly below the Ford oval, and look at the opening between the tow hooks, at the bottom of the radiator, I have what appears to be paint peeling off. I washed it today, and I saw it flopping around. I thought it was a leaf, but when I looked it is all peeling off. Underneath it, there is metal the same color as a radiator. I have had the truck since February, so I don't know if was just a temporary thing that the dealer was supposed to have removed, or if it is indeed painting peeling. It looks kind of bad. Could somebody check and see if theirs is painted, or just the gray metal?
Thanks,

Old 03-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i bet its the paint coming off the intercooler.. is ur truck a diesel ???

we had a 08 in teh shop the other day and its blackpaint was peeling off aswell...

far as i could tell it doesnt appear to have been coated very well.. no primers or anything to make it wanna adhere...

its not really a problem other then it looks kinda sad have a big peice of loose paint flopping around..

if it really bothers u, grab a can of edge primer and then rattle can it black again...

Old 03-28-2009, 08:08 PM
dbkarbo
New User
Thanks for the reply. It is a diesel. That is exactly what it looks like, that it was put on with no primer at all. I can grab it and peel it right off. I guess I can touch it up, or take it back to the dealer to do it. Only have 900 miles on it. Might as well have them earn some of the big money I paid them.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
true that, u can get teh dealer to do soemthing..

i doubt they would replace it for something so simple, but they by all means should retreat it with something..

i wouldnt doubt if Ford has a inside TSB on this issue.. if ur truck is doing it and i've seen one to, then there has to be tons of those intercoolers out there that simply werent coated properly...

i wonder who makes those intercoolers for Ford...8-(.. cuz there paint dept. needs to give their head a shake..

Old 04-01-2009, 06:32 PM
dbkarbo
New User
Took it back to the dealer yesterday, and the body shop guy had not seen one. He sent the digitital pictures in to Ford. He thought they were going to have to replace the radiator. He called this afternoon and said it was done. There was a TSB on it, and they had to repaint it in a special way to get it to stick. I thought I was just being a stickler about it, but it must be a bigger problem than I thought, as they have a bulletin on it. I am surprised more people here haven't ran into this.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:12 PM
utjer
Elder User
That is great that you were able to get this taken care of. No one wants a new truck that looks bad.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
not surprized there is a TSB...

bet they used a epoxy on it.. that stuff will stick **** to glass its got fantastic adhesion..