Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ATS Housing problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008 | 02:02 AM
SBChero
|
Mountain Pass
ATS Housing problem.

new ATS housing, some casting problems. anyone think it will be a problem w/ the 0-rings and such. (i was thinking about putting some copper RTV in it just incase).

thanks.

Old 08-28-2008 | 02:20 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
I don't like the roughness on the exducer either. I can't imagine it's a huge deal, but it is probably worth talking to ATS about. I'm not feeling using silicone on it, so I guess if yo uthink you need it, get another housing.

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:17 AM
jesse5
Senior User
If they give you a discount so that you are going to use it instead of exchanging. Apply RTV to the backing plate half only, not the impeller housing (volute), this way the excess is squeezed to the outside.

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:01 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
I would get it exchanged. You paid for a housing with no flaws. That is what you should get. If you decide to keep it, they should at least give you some type of warranty it if there are any issues after installation. Have you contacted them about the problem?

Old 08-28-2008 | 11:37 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
It's been a while since I've looked at one, but doesn't the big o-ring sits outside that area where it's rough? Not that I wouldn't try and exchange it for one that didn't have a casting flaw, but to your original question, think it would seal ok.

I'm suprised that made it through quality control inspection.

Old 08-28-2008 | 12:00 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru
Club FTE Silver Member
Maybe it's not an issue, but in the first picture the bolt holes that were counter sunk don't look very good to me. Looks a little thin on the outside of a couple of them.

Old 08-28-2008 | 12:12 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
The few that i have seen look the same as yours

Old 08-28-2008 | 02:42 PM
sideshow
Elder User
Originally Posted by farmb0y
Maybe it's not an issue, but in the first picture the bolt holes that were counter sunk don't look very good to me. Looks a little thin on the outside of a couple of them.
i could be wrong but i dont' think they are countersunk. Looks like a smooth ring around each hole to me. Optical illusion. it should still use the same bolts, so don't think it would be countersunk.

Old 08-28-2008 | 03:09 PM
SBChero
|
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 02GrayPowerStroke
The few that i have seen look the same as yours
and they work fine?

im waiting to hear back from ATS on the issue. i sent them these pix this morning. we'll see what they say.

and the bolt holes are countersunk. but it looks like theres enough beef there.

another issue that there is, which im sure doesnt matter, is the flange has some sub-par casting. im sure this wont effect performance, since its just a clamp surface, but nontheless....

Old 08-28-2008 | 04:13 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru
Club FTE Silver Member
I would send it back and ask for a better one. I can get particular about the littlest things, but all the bolt holes not having the same amount of material all the way around them and the poor casting inside and out, to me, is unacceptable.

Hopefully they aren't all like that, it's scaring me away from getting one.

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:33 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I'm curious to see what ATS has to say about it. Keep us posted. My old ATS housing sure didn't look like that.

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:42 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession
Club FTE Silver Member
Get a new one. Mine never looked like that. too many issues with this one.

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:20 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Yeah thats why they were backordered for a while, they had to change castings, something of some sort, and now the new ones dont look too good either. I had ALOT of slag on the inside of the outlet on mine, and it took a good 30 minutes with a hand file to clean up what shouldnt have been there anyway. The compressor doesnt get close to that mark on the inside, however be weary of a boost leak from the outer one 'near' the seal. Dont use it at all if you are going to return it, if you install it and then complain they will have a reason not to work with you.

Old 08-29-2008 | 09:09 AM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Starting to agree with others re sending it back. But let us know what ATS said.

Old 08-29-2008 | 09:35 AM
SBChero
|
Mountain Pass
well ATS said that it would be fine. (of course right?). he said that the o-ring will seal that part off and it shouldnt be a problem. they did offer to take it back and get me a new one.
normally i would feel more comfortable returning it and getting a replacement, but since there's a 4 to 6 week backorder on these (and i need it for a trip in 2 weeks) im going to run it and see what happens.
they said that if i have any problems with it post install, they would take care of it.

we'll see how it works.