1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Regeared, and Detroit Locker

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008 | 07:38 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Nice work Kris. Thanks for the pictures. I like your yoke holder.

Old 08-26-2008 | 08:00 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Club FTE Gold Member
Very impressive Kris. Great job on the pics also.

Old 08-26-2008 | 08:08 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jtharvey
Nice. I've wanted to put a Tru-trac in my truck, but know absoutley nothing about how to do it. Next time you're in MO, want to help me do it?
Just swapping the carrier and keeping the gears the same isn't too complicated.

If you measure from the flange by where the bearing sits on the carrier to the flange that the ring gear bolts to on the stocker and compare it to the detroit/true trac and adjust the shims accordingly, install and check the backlash.

Old 08-26-2008 | 08:30 PM
yellow401
Elder User
Nice Kris. Your going to love the Detroit. I've been running mine for 3-4 years now on my 35's and love it. Tow trailers, plow, etc and no problems. You will know when that thing decides to lock or unlock under power! I would love to regear also.....

Old 08-26-2008 | 09:53 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
|
Post Fiend
This is not something i would want to do again, however. There's always snags and such that come up and make a difficult job nearly impossible, and letting someone else do it for a flat rate would be so much easier. Im doing it myself just to save $850, but sometimes i think that it's almost worth that in headaches to get the job done.

Old 08-26-2008 | 10:05 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
This is not something i would want to do again, however. There's always snags and such that come up and make a difficult job nearly impossible, and letting someone else do it for a flat rate would be so much easier. Im doing it myself just to save $850, but sometimes i think that it's almost worth that in headaches to get the job done.
Nothing wrong with picking your battles. If you can pull an engine quicker than you can swap gears, and you have the money, let someone else deal with the head aches. If you've got the time on your hands, do it yourself.

So are you taking your rear end sled pulling or racing first?

Old 08-29-2008 | 12:20 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
|
Post Fiend
Whew, just got the front end finished this morning. I ran into alot of problems that really slowed me up, what a pain in the ***. Doing it over again i would let someone else do it, however i feel good knowing how to do it now, and that ive saved the $850, wonder what i'll do with that now...

A little problem however, i adjusted the backlash to .007 on the rear ring and pinion, which was the minimum allowed tolerance. It's WAY too much, when you let off the pedal going down the road you have a very noticeable klunk and also when you easily get back into the power. When parking on flat ground you hit P and then the truck creeps forward a good 6-8" until the slop is taken up. Is that supposed to be like that? When i change the break-in oil at 500 miles i'll check it again, and im thinking i will shim it up to .004 or so?

Old 08-29-2008 | 12:59 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
I used all the backlash specs that came with my gears (Precision Gear).

Were you sure to spin the carrier and check the backlash in multiple places?

On flat ground my truck doesn't really creep at all (I normally use the parking brake though).

Old 08-29-2008 | 01:18 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Club FTE Gold Member
nice work and that locker is fun,.004 sounds tight some of the roll might be from the locker releaseing its self when parked.when I had mine the tires would chirp in a hard turn.

Old 08-29-2008 | 01:30 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Good point, are you sure the klunk that you feel when you let off the throttle isn't the Detroit unlocking and coasting?

Old 08-29-2008 | 02:07 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by DCSpecial
Good point, are you sure the klunk that you feel when you let off the throttle isn't the Detroit unlocking and coasting?
the more I think about it mine did seem that it had slop in it but it was just releasing its self and some times it would pop loud in a turn,would sound like it snaped a axle.

Old 08-29-2008 | 07:12 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
A little problem however, i adjusted the backlash to .007 on the rear ring and pinion, which was the minimum allowed tolerance. It's WAY too much, when you let off the pedal going down the road you have a very noticeable klunk and also when you easily get back into the power. When parking on flat ground you hit P and then the truck creeps forward a good 6-8" until the slop is taken up. Is that supposed to be like that? When i change the break-in oil at 500 miles i'll check it again, and im thinking i will shim it up to .004 or so?
Detroit lockers feel like they have excessive backlash. When you let off, they unlock, as DC said. Its just how they are, youll get used to it. If you set the backlash to .007, and thats within tolerance, then its correct. Thats just how detroits work. If you take the driveshaft off, you can actually rotate the yoke, about a quarter of a turn back and forth. Thats what you are feeling.

Old 08-29-2008 | 07:14 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by beanhead6D5
the more I think about it mine did seem that it had slop in it but it was just releasing its self and some times it would pop loud in a turn,would sound like it snaped a axle.

This is something to also look out for, for me, it happens about once amonth, and when it happens the first couple times, your going to about ***** yourself, and wonder what you broke. Sometimes it even happens at a dead stop. It will sound like a snapped axleshaft. Have no fear, a press on the pedal makes you still go. Its just the detroit unloading.

Old 08-29-2008 | 08:37 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
|
Post Fiend
Ok rebel thanks for explaining that, i dont really like it but i guess ill have to live with it.. Dan i spun the carrier, moved it around a few turns, then checked it again.

Old 08-30-2008 | 10:34 AM
yellow401
Elder User
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02
This is something to also look out for, for me, it happens about once amonth, and when it happens the first couple times, your going to about ***** yourself, and wonder what you broke. Sometimes it even happens at a dead stop. It will sound like a snapped axleshaft. Have no fear, a press on the pedal makes you still go. Its just the detroit unloading.
Amen to this. Mine will do this at random times and i swear i just dropped my driveshaft or something! Wait till you have a trailer on and your under hard load pulling out of a turn from a stop and she pops...WOW you'll think the rear end just split in two and came up and smacked the underside of the truck! Its crazy but continues to work fine for 4 years...

Quick Reply: Regeared, and Detroit Locker