Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

please hheellpp!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008 | 01:08 PM
jugganot
|
New User
Ok, Pulled The Valve Covers And Everything Looked Fine. Checked All The Connections And Clips. Started The Engine With The Valve Covers Off And Wiggled The Connectors And Nothing Changed. The Engine Ran Smoother And Stopped Smoking, So I Figured I Must Have Moved Something To Cause That. Put The Engine Back Together And Started It Again. It Idles Fine And Runs Smooth, But When I Rev It Hard At Any Rpm The Engine Chokes And Stutters, Plus It Blows Smoke, Kinda Whitish Blue... Now Im Stumped... Again... Mybe An Injector...?

Old 07-11-2008 | 07:00 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Did you happen to notice the oil coming out of each injector with the valve covers off? There should be a little squirt and all the injectors should discharge the same amount. If one was different that would be an injector to look at.

Any possibility of getting it on a scanner to check for codes, do an injection buzz test and cylinder contribution test?

FYI: Blue or blue/white smoke:
Caused by insufficient fuel or oil consumption. Normal when engine is cold or idling for extended periods.

Excessive smoke could be caused by air in the fuel, contaminated fuel, loose or plugged injectors, worn or leaking injector o-rings, thermostat stuck open, oil consumption, or plugged crankcase depression regulator valve. Also PCM inputs such as MAP or ICP sensors.

Old 07-11-2008 | 08:42 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Club FTE Gold Member
ICP. Isn't that the sensor if you unplug it will let the engine start and idle but won't let you do anything else other than idle? Just a quick thought.

Did you try to rev it when the covers were off? When you put the covers back on it messed up again? That would make me believe it is a wire shorting.

Old 07-11-2008 | 08:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by danskool
ICP. Isn't that the sensor if you unplug it will let the engine start and idle but won't let you do anything else other than idle? Just a quick thought.

Did you try to rev it when the covers were off? When you put the covers back on it messed up again? That would make me believe it is a wire shorting.
Yes, the ICP is the sensor on the front of the inboard drivers head that you can unplug to help the engine start sometimes.

I'm guessing he did not rev it with the valve covers off. If it ran smooth with them off after checking the wiring, I doubt I would have thought to rev the engine to see if it made a difference before buttoning it all back up.

Old 07-11-2008 | 09:01 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Club FTE Gold Member
Thanks Chris. Could the ICP wire connector be bad? Loosing connection. When he took off valve cover he bumped the ICP wire? Would it chug and smoke if you rev'd it up and if you unplug that sucker ?
Just thinking out loud. Sorry if i seem drunk.

I think i would be pulling the VC's again if were me. And Jiggling

Old 07-11-2008 | 09:10 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Anything's possible Dan. If he messed up the ICP sensor wire removing the VC that should be easy enough to check. If it were me I'd start by visually checking oil discharge from the injectors before I started wiggling wires that may have a short and carry a 110V current.

It's times like this where a scanner comes in handy to help narrow down which injector (or wiring) you need to be chasing.

Old 07-12-2008 | 12:01 PM
jugganot
|
New User
I Did Rev The Engine Up With The Vc's Off And The Symptoms Did Not Change. I Didnt Notice Any Oil Coming From The Injectors. What I Did Notice Is Inside Each Injector Plug Was Oil, So I Cleaned Them And Put Them Back Together. There Was Also Oil In My Icp Sensor So I Cleaned That Out As Well, Still Did Not Change How The Truck Ran. I Found Out A Friend Of A Friend Of Mine Works For A Ford Service Center And He Said If I Brought The Truck To Him He Could Run It On A Scanner For Me. Would I Hurt Anything If I Drove It? Its About 30 Miles Away... It's Just Odd, Cause I Can Rev The Engine Slow And It Smokes A Little, But If I Rev It Hard It Sounds Like A Misfire And Poors Out Smoke.

Old 07-12-2008 | 12:04 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Club FTE Gold Member
Oil in the ICP sensor plug? If i Recall. Oil in sensor plug means bad ICP sensor.

Old 07-12-2008 | 12:31 PM
jugganot
|
New User
Oil in the ICP sensor plug? If i Recall. Oil in sensor plug means bad ICP sensor.
WOULD THAT CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STUTTER AND SMOKE. CAUSE I CAN STILL REV IT. IT JUST SOUNDS/ FEELS TERRIBLE. HOW MUCH DO THOSE USUALLY RUN?

Old 07-12-2008 | 12:48 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
I don't know what a sensor costs.
But a failed one will give all kinds of drivability issues like you are experiencing.
Skewed readings are driving the engine managment completely off the map and the computer is struggling to compensate.
When you first posted, my first thought was failed fuel pump. Low fuel pressure ( at least on mine when it broke a wire one day) made it run with a lot of stuttering and some gray smoke out of the tail pipe.
But you have an oily ICP sensor, that needs to go before proceeding.
Wouldn't hurt to check the fuel pressure at full throttle, going up a hill, either.

Old 07-12-2008 | 12:57 PM
jugganot
|
New User
I'll See If I Can Get One(icp Sensor) Today And Let You Guys Know Of The Outcome. Thaqnks For All The Help.

Old 07-12-2008 | 12:58 PM
jugganot
|
New User
What The Easiest Or Right Way To Check The Fuel Pressure While Driving.

Old 07-12-2008 | 06:37 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jugganot
What The Easiest Or Right Way To Check The Fuel Pressure While Driving.
A gauge on the end of a long hose. Long enough to reach a point you can observe it while driving.

Old 07-13-2008 | 09:00 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Club FTE Gold Member
Any luck ?

Old 07-14-2008 | 10:09 AM
jugganot
|
New User
Any luck ?
SO APPARENTLY MY LOCAL FORD DEALER IS BACKORDERED ON THE ICP SENSOR. I HOPE THIS FIXES IT AT $ 130.00 ITS A NICE LITTLE PIECE OF JEWELRY. OH AND ONE MORE QUESTION FOR THE FRAM-CA6818 FILTER, SAME AS 6637, IS $ 60.00 A GOOD PRICE?

Quick Reply: please hheellpp!!!!