Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Because I have not posted in 2 weeks....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008 | 09:20 PM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas
My grandpa has an 88 F-150 XLT Lariat, with a 5.0L and has never had any problems with it, towed his 5,000 pound trailer many times and it has 185k, my 94 F-150 has had only 2 problems, a freeze plug and shift motor I ave 155k. Just like TWmalone, the only car to ever strand me was a 91 honda civic, it only had 75k on it and my dad had to do head gaskets.

Old 04-27-2008 | 03:55 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by excaliber551
The T100 was no full size truck. It was barely bigger than my 1991 Toyota Pickup.
It was Toyota's first attempt at a full-size truck.

The First gen Tundra was smaller than the current Ford and GM and Dodge full size 1/2 ton offerings.
Not in Double Cab form it wasn't. It was also Toyota's second attempt at a full-size truck.

Now the new Tundra is bigger and has leaped to the front albeit with some major first build issues.
This is Toyota's third attempt at a full-size truck. They made it bigger, but more importantly rushed it to market and intended to crank up the volume. The new Tundra's issues have nothing to do with it's size.

Also, Toyota is offering to buy back 1995-2000 Tacoma that fail a "hammer to frame" test. That wasn't their first attempt at a compact.

I guess they have had plenty of time and that's maybe why they are in front now.
The future builds will only be better.
Toyota is trending downwards in quality, so what do you base your opinion on that the future builds will be better?

None of your arguments hold any water.

Old 04-27-2008 | 06:17 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Originally Posted by Big Bad
Toyota is trending downwards in quality, so what do you base your opinion on that the future builds will be better?

None of your arguments hold any water.
Toyota might be trending downward slightly but when you are so much better than the competition you can fall a bit.
The Big 3 lose so much money every year they are lucky to still be in business.
Toyota makes money hand over fist and they can afford to do the R&D to make their vehicles as good as they were in past years.

Toyota's head man said he is ashamed of the new Tundra and he's going to do everything he can to improve on it so it's up to Toyota's standards.
That right there is good enough for me.

Old 04-27-2008 | 07:13 PM
twmalonehunter
New User
Toyota might be trending downward slightly but when you are so much better than the competition you can fall a bit.
Toyota makes money hand over fist and they can afford to do the R&D to make their vehicles as good as they were in past years.

Toyota's head man said he is ashamed of the new Tundra and he's going to do everything he can to improve on it so it's up to Toyota's standards.
I think you're on the wrong board, you belong on the toy fanboard.

Old 04-27-2008 | 07:38 PM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas

Have you not seen the study, Ford is now EQUAL IN QUALITY TO TOYOTA AND HONDA. I agree to to a Toyota forum, since you love them so much.

Old 04-27-2008 | 08:45 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Club FTE Gold Member
Now I'm willing to look at the new Ford F150 even though deep down I know I shouldn't. If I were to buy another Ford and it turned out like my last three.................
I wouldn't do it. I'm a ford man through and through becuase I've never had any catostrophic horror stories with my trucks over the past 24 years of truck ownership. You on the other hand have been scarred by Ford. Never had a good truck until you bought a toy. Follow your gut and be comfortable with your major purchases. If you buy a ford truck, you'll be so critical of it that you won't be able to enjoy it.

Tim

Old 04-28-2008 | 12:14 AM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Good god people, the horse is dead!

Fact is the Tundra's issues were/are very minor compared to Ford's issues with pretty much any of thier vehicles up to a year or two ago. Ford just was ranked equal to Toyota in initial quality this year.

But who cares?!? If you want a Tundra, great. If you don't, great. If you buy something just because of the name on it, and especially when it's over about 100 dollars, then you are stupid.

Now how about the 09 F150?

Mike

Old 04-28-2008 | 08:37 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
Originally Posted by tseekins
I wouldn't do it. I'm a ford man through and through becuase I've never had any catostrophic horror stories with my trucks over the past 24 years of truck ownership. You on the other hand have been scarred by Ford. Never had a good truck until you bought a toy. Follow your gut and be comfortable with your major purchases. If you buy a ford truck, you'll be so critical of it that you won't be able to enjoy it.

Tim
That's pretty funny. My friends tell me the same thing. They keep saying "Why would you buy another Ford after all the bad luck you had with your last three?"

I see your point about being critical. We were just talking about that yesterday too.

Old 04-29-2008 | 09:31 AM
Big Bad
Elder User
Toyota is trending downwards sharply, while Ford is trending upwards sharply. Currently, we are at the crossover point where Ford, Toyota and Honda are all equal in quality.

But following current trends, what would be the logical prediction for the future?

Ford will surpass Toyota and Honda on quality in the next year or two.

R&D is only half of it. Suppliers and assembly standards are just as important. You're also kidding yourself if you think Toyota is going to throw those profits into R&D? Why do you think Toyota makes so much money? It's because of highly refined lean manufacturing techniques, not massive R&D spending. Toyota has actually reduced the number of engineers per model line over the last decade. Ford has spent far more on R&D over the last 10 years than Toyota has, BTW.

The disinetgrating frame standards?

Old 04-29-2008 | 09:31 AM
Big Bad
Elder User
double post

Old 04-29-2008 | 09:40 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
Toyota is trending downwards sharply, while Ford is trending upwards sharply. Currently, we are at the crossover point where Ford, Toyota and Honda are all equal in quality.

But following current trends, what would be the logical prediction for the future?

Ford will surpass Toyota and Honda on quality in the next year or two.

R&D is only half of it. Suppliers and assembly standards are just as important. You're also kidding yourself if you think Toyota is going to throw those profits into R&D? Why do you think Toyota makes so much money? It's because of highly refined lean manufacturing techniques. Ford has spent far more on R&D over the last 10 years than Toyota has, BTW.

The disinetgrating frame standards?
Ford will never surpass Toyota or Honda in anything but overall sales. So some company owned by Ford comes and and does a survey and now Ford is equal to Toyota and Honda. Too funny.

Ford has improved it's initial owner satisfaction but in long term satisfaction they are still second rate citizens. When you have been building crappy vehicles as long as Ford has you'd think they would have figured it out sooner.

Toyota is having some trouble trying to be the biggest while being the best. It's nothing but a temporary hickup.

Old 04-29-2008 | 09:57 AM
Big Bad
Elder User
Ford will never surpass Toyota or Honda in anything but overall sales. So some company owned by Ford comes and and does a survey and now Ford is equal to Toyota and Honda. Too funny.
Funny thing is, Ford has been better than Toyota in several classes since the mid-90s. Now their mainstream cars have caught up and surpassed Toyota (Fusion > Camry and Taurus > Avalon on quality) and that has brought up their overall quality scores. Ford is going to surpass Toyota on overall quality within the next 2 years, watch.

Ford has improved it's initial owner satisfaction but in long term satisfaction they are still second rate citizens. When you have been building crappy vehicles as long as Ford has you'd think they would have figured it out sooner.
If you had a clue (and it's obvious you don't), you would know that historically IQ studies are excellent predictors for long term dependability results.

Besides, there are way more high mileage 20+ year old Fords on the road than Toyotas anyway. Toyota has never been a first class citizen on long term dependablity, they've always made disposable cars and trucks. That's why they are buying back 1995-2000 Tacomas.

Toyota is having some trouble trying to be the biggest while being the best. It's nothing but a temporary hickup.
Toyota was never the best, and now everyone is finally catching on.

Old 04-29-2008 | 10:03 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
Funny thing is, Ford has been better than Toyota in several classes since the mid-90s. Now their mainstream cars have caught up and surpassed Toyota (Fusion > Camry and Taurus > Avalon on quality) and that has brought up their overall quality scores. Ford is going to surpass Toyota on overall quality within the next 2 years, watch.

If you had a clue (and it's obvious you don't), you would know that historically IQ studies are excellent predictors for long term dependability results.

Besides, there are way more high mileage 20+ year old Fords on the road than Toyotas anyway. Toyota has never been a first class citizen on long term dependablity, they've always made disposable cars and trucks. That's why they are buying back 1995-2000 Tacomas.

Toyota was never the best, and now everyone is finally catching on.
Ford's cars are junk and anyone with a clue would know that the Toyota vehicles are just better all around. Look at most reccomended used car lists and they are full of Toyota's. You won't see one Ford on there.
That right there is a huge indicator of Ford's longterm lack of quality.

Ford will not surpass Toyota in quality. They wat they are going they will be lucky to be in business in a few years.

Toyota has always made better cars and has had a much better resale and long term quality than Ford. Ford has started to build some better vehicles but when you build junk for so long there's only one way to go and that's up.

Old 04-29-2008 | 10:33 AM
Big Bad
Elder User
Ford's cars are junk and anyone with a clue would know that the Toyota vehicles are just better all around. Look at most reccomended used car lists and they are full of Toyota's. You won't see one Ford on there.
That right there is a huge indicator of Ford's longterm lack of quality.

Ford will not surpass Toyota in quality. They wat they are going they will be lucky to be in business in a few years.

Toyota has always made better cars and has had a much better resale and long term quality than Ford. Ford has started to build some better vehicles but when you build junk for so long there's only one way to go and that's up.
Back to Consumer Reports "recommended" lists, eh? The Toyota savior.

FYI, Consumer Reports has been praising Ford quite a bit lately (and CR is behind the initial quality studies by at least a year), not to mention the new Camry has fallen off of their recommended list for the first time since I can remember due to below average reliability.

But hey, Toyota is AWESOME! Within the next 2 years Ford will surpass Toyota on overall quaity, and on several fronts they already have (mid-size sedans, full-size trucks, and crossovers).

Not to mention the new Fiesta is going to blow the Yaris out of the water in a major way.

Old 04-29-2008 | 02:27 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved
Club FTE Silver Member
Besides, there are way more high mileage 20+ year old Fords on the road than Toyotas anyway.
Well, that's because there were a lot more round 20 years ago... When did Toyota start selling vehicles in America...The late 70's?

Toyota has never been a first class citizen on long term dependablity, they've always made disposable cars and trucks.
I've always thought long term dependibility was why everyone likes Toyota...And most of the older (80-90's) American cars (not trucks) are the disposible ones...

That's why they are buying back 1995-2000 Tacomas.
How many have they bought back so far, and where are most located? I'm willing to bet that most come from the north east...Since I've heard about it I've been looking at every Toyota I see, and haven't seen any rusty frames yet...

Tim

Quick Reply: Because I have not posted in 2 weeks....