Sponsored by: DP Tuner

my truck is having some troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008 | 05:01 PM
fpsdman
|
New User
Exclamation my truck is having some troubles

Alright, I own a 2001 singal cab f-350 7.3L with 114k on it, it is bone stock.

Today I was plowing my driveway, but when i tried to push snow into a snowbank the overdrive light started flashing off and the rpms dropped to about 400 seemed like it was going to stall. Ive read that the overdrive flashing off means transmission trouble but Im not sure if that is it because after taking my plow off I'll drive a mile or so and the overdrive will stop flashing and it will return to normal. It's only when trying to push snow. Not sure if anyone has heard of this happening before, but it would be cool if someone knows something or could point me in the right direction. I plan on bringing it into the shop monday to see if they cant pull some codes and fix it.

Old 03-15-2008 | 05:33 PM
4inchlovin
Lead Driver
Club FTE Silver Member
Welcom to FTE!!!!
I hate to install un-just fear but I'm pretty sure that means the overdrive unit in your trans. is going out... If its only under heavy load you might get away with sevicing it. Do not quote me I am not a pro around here nor do i have an automatic. Dont worry one of the pros will be here soon and tell you the truth.

Old 03-15-2008 | 05:47 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fpsdman
Alright, I own a 2001 singal cab f-350 7.3L with 114k on it, it is bone stock.

Today I was plowing my driveway, but when i tried to push snow into a snowbank the overdrive light started flashing off and the rpms dropped to about 400 seemed like it was going to stall. Ive read that the overdrive flashing off means transmission trouble but Im not sure if that is it because after taking my plow off I'll drive a mile or so and the overdrive will stop flashing and it will return to normal. It's only when trying to push snow. Not sure if anyone has heard of this happening before, but it would be cool if someone knows something or could point me in the right direction. I plan on bringing it into the shop monday to see if they cant pull some codes and fix it.
You may have overheated the tranny. Check the fluid level. Is it dis-colored or smell burnt.

Old 03-15-2008 | 05:49 PM
fpsdman
|
New User
The fluid is a redish color and doesnt smell burnt

Old 03-15-2008 | 06:29 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
i'll bet you over heated it. have the shop pull the codes and see what it says. if your lucky, you may get away with a tranny flush (new filter too) and adding an extra tranny cooler.

Old 03-15-2008 | 08:16 PM
PowerStroker?
Senior User
1: Welcome to FTE.

2: There is a guy near me that runs a fleet of about 15 plow trucks running from f-350s to single rear axle MACK trucks with big plows on the fromt. The guys he has burn transmissions out on the little Fords all the time doing exactly what you said you were doing.

Hope you can get it straightened out!

Old 03-16-2008 | 07:17 PM
fpsdman
|
New User
But would my tranny overheat within min's of using it?

Old 03-16-2008 | 07:40 PM
swaybar
Senior User
just curious, but what does the tranny have to do with 400 rpm's ?

Old 03-16-2008 | 07:49 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
It sounds like you overheated it. Maybe add another cooler inline and you will need to check your bypass to make sure it's working right. A wide open bypass at the transmission would cause it to overheat very quickly. Maybe the codes will point you in the right direction.
Joe

Old 03-16-2008 | 08:31 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by swaybar
just curious, but what does the tranny have to do with 400 rpm's ?
If the tranny was in fact overheating then it would start to bind up and bog down the engine.

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:03 PM
joegebff
Gone Fishin for Mark
Club FTE Silver Member
The O/D light is for the tranny very much like the SES light is for the engine. There should be a stored code. Don't panic too early, it may very well be just some sensor.

Old 03-18-2008 | 04:42 PM
fpsdman
|
New User
I brought it in today, they couldn't get it to happen so I told them to chain it to a tree and put stress on the tranny, they said they would do it first thing in the morning. I will keep you updated

p.s they said to just put it into second and let the motor take the stress when plowing. (Im 18 and it's my first truck so just letting everyone else know so maybe it could help future problems for somebody else)

Old 03-19-2008 | 07:01 PM
fpsdman
|
New User
They wouldn't chain it to a tree.. So im just going to get the tranny flushed/new filters bring it home see if that doesnt help any. If not I'll bring it down friday and get it to act up for them. Also the only stored code there was, was a speed sensor so, hopefully i can get this thing fixed without much trouble

Old 03-19-2008 | 09:35 PM
joegebff
Gone Fishin for Mark
Club FTE Silver Member
Putting it into second will only INCREASE the strain on the tranny.

Old 03-29-2008 | 06:08 PM
fpsdman
|
New User
Alright so, after a week and a half at the shop, they have told me my alternator is bad and im pissing tranny fluid from between the transmission and t/c. I'm having the seal replaced this week, and then i'll buy and put in the new alternator so hopefully this will solve all my unwanted problems

Quick Reply: my truck is having some troubles