2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Fumoto oil drain valve

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 07:56 AM
oceanrace
|
Mountain Pass
Fumoto oil drain valve

Looking at getting stuff for the new truck, can someone take a picture of pan under the engine specifically showing oil drain plug, Fumoto site indicates an adapter fitting might be necessary for this application. I typically like to change engine oil at around 1500 miles on first change, and install a Fumoto oil drain valve at that time. Driving from Iowa to Texas most of the 1500 miles will already be done.

Also looking at swapping in Warn or Mile Marker manual hubs, Husky liners, basic stuff to get truck set up where I want it. Hopefully last truck I will buy. Also prolly change rear diff oil at 15000 miles. Any other maintenance related suggestions? 7.3 gas engine, F350 Lariat Tremor Sport CCSB.

The following users liked this post:
Old Yesterday | 08:06 AM
Romark
Mountain Pass
I tried the Fumoto valve. It is easy and can be easier to capture the oil, however its way to slow for me. Draining 13 quarts with a small valve body takes a while. I want to get under my truck once. Drain, change filter then out. I'd fall asleep waiting on the oil to fully drain.

The following 2 users liked this post by Romark:
Old Yesterday | 08:55 AM
Squanto
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Romark
I tried the Fumoto valve. It is easy and can be easier to capture the oil, however its way to slow for me. Draining 13 quarts with a small valve body takes a while. I want to get under my truck once. Drain, change filter then out. I'd fall asleep waiting on the oil to fully drain.
While mine is draining, I check the fuel in my water separator and look around for problems under the truck.

The following 4 users liked this post by Squanto:
Old Yesterday | 09:12 AM
JoeUser
Pusher of String
Club FTE Silver Member
I like my Fumoto, as I can easily drain into the empty jugs from the previous oil change, using a short neoprene hose (mine has the 90-degree elbow). The valve allows me to easily shut off the flow when a jug is full, then allows another jug to be placed and filled cleanly. I just throw the filled jugs back into the three-jug box and keep the empties for next change.

As the last jug is being filled I place a low-profile 20-qt bucket under the oil filter (so that it clears the support arm and directly under the filter), and loosen the oil filter enough to let it trickle into the tub. When both the drain plug and oil filter start dripping I close the valve and bag up the old filter. Fill the filter with fresh oil and install, and I'm done underneath.

I reckon it's a matter of convenience for some, but a slowdown for others that might want to get the job done quickly. I tend not to rush things, so the Fumoto works out fine for my needs.

The following 3 users liked this post by JoeUser:
Old Yesterday | 10:09 AM
cficare
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by oceanrace
I typically like to change engine oil at around 1500 miles on first change ...
Same here. I started using a Fumoto valve when I installed a Talon's cat-shield. No adapter needed and slow draining doesn't bother me ... retired and not in a hurry.
https://talonsgarage.com/collections/ford-f-250

My shield is one of the early prototype units and did not originally include an access panel for the oil filter. So I made my own access ...

The following 2 users liked this post by cficare:
Old Yesterday | 10:10 AM
WXboy
Logistics Pro
Love my Fumoto. No more mess. No more worrying about drain bolt washers, threads, etc. I open it up and let it drain and do other things while it's draining (check air filter, change oil filter, check tires, get my new oil jugs ready, etc.) No adapter was needed on mine. I bought the version with the short nipple so I can attach the drain tube if I choose.

The following 3 users liked this post by WXboy:
Old Yesterday | 10:45 AM
Leardriver
More Turbo
Yes, it is slow, so I warm up the oil, put a bucket under it, open the valve, and come back in the morning. It would be a pain for quick lube people, but I prefer to change it myself.

The following 4 users liked this post by Leardriver:
Old Yesterday | 12:42 PM
Dolomite Titan
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by cficare
Same here. I started using a Fumoto valve when I installed a Talon's cat-shield. No adapter needed and slow draining doesn't bother me ... retired and not in a hurry.
https://talonsgarage.com/collections/ford-f-250

My shield is one of the early prototype units and did not originally include an access panel for the oil filter. So I made my own access ...
How did you tighten that valve body into the recessed part of the pan. I ran into interference when attempting to screw the fumoto valve into my pan.. Couldn't get it to work.

Old Yesterday | 12:50 PM
acdii
Lead Driver
I put
this one this one
on the 2019, no mods, just threaded right in place. Draining was easy, just slid the pan under, reached in behind the wheel and opened it up. No crawling under. I need to get another one for the new truck.

The following 2 users liked this post by acdii:
Old Yesterday | 12:59 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Dolomite Titan
How did you tighten that valve body into the recessed part of the pan. I ran into interference when attempting to screw the fumoto valve into my pan.. Couldn't get it to work.
That visible hex-head is not part of the valve body ... it's a hollow bolt which clamps the valve body to the oil pan.
https://www.fumotousa.com/f107sx.html

You may be able to get by with their adapter ...
https://help.fumotousa.com/en-US/Kno..._Fumoto_valve/
https://www.fumotousa.com/all-produc...h-f107sx-.html

Old Yesterday | 01:43 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by oceanrace
Looking at getting stuff for the new truck, can someone take a picture of pan under the engine specifically showing oil drain plug, Fumoto site indicates an adapter fitting might be necessary for this application. I typically like to change engine oil at around 1500 miles on first change, and install a Fumoto oil drain valve at that time. Driving from Iowa to Texas most of the 1500 miles will already be done.

Also looking at swapping in Warn or Mile Marker manual hubs, Husky liners, basic stuff to get truck set up where I want it. Hopefully last truck I will buy. Also prolly change rear diff oil at 15000 miles. Any other maintenance related suggestions? 7.3 gas engine, F350 Lariat Tremor Sport CCSB.
There's an EZ oil drain value on Amazon that comes with a 90 degree elbow. That's the one I use now, had it on my 2017 too. It drains straight down with the elbow on. I pull the elbow off when I'm not draining the oil - I'm afraid I'll hit something and damage it. But it works perfectly - and always has.

Old Yesterday | 01:44 PM
doyall
Mountain Pass
Be aware that the Fumoto valve pictured does extend slightly below the pan so it is vulnerable to being hit by rocks, road debris, etc. I put a skid plate on mine so it is not an issue.

Old Yesterday | 06:36 PM
acdii
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by CBEllis
There's an EZ oil drain value on Amazon that comes with a 90 degree elbow. That's the one I use now, had it on my 2017 too. It drains straight down with the elbow on. I pull the elbow off when I'm not draining the oil - I'm afraid I'll hit something and damage it. But it works perfectly - and always has.
I think thats the one I posted earlier. Same one works on a 24? I need one for the new truck.

The following 2 users liked this post by acdii:
Old Yesterday | 07:12 PM
stryder
Fleet Mechanic
To get a fast drain with Fumoto, drain it hot. Loosen the filter to let it drain. Do other maintenance items while they drain. Can't get much easier and cleaner.
Fumoto made in Japan (edit)
Ez-Drain made in China.

The following 3 users liked this post by stryder:
Old Yesterday | 10:20 PM
RandyinTN
Fleet Mechanic
When you guys say the draining is slow what is the time in minutes for all the oil to drain out?

Quick Reply: Fumoto oil drain valve