Sponsored by: Moser

Frankenford needs some help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2024 | 07:12 PM
WhatF250
|
4wd Low
Frankenford needs some help.

So here it is. This ... THING. I'm all not familiar with older trucks but the cab is a 76 F250. The badges say F250 Custom. I just picked it up and I was told it has a 302 Motor and the flatbed and rear end is from an 03 something or other ford. But I have questions. And probably too many. First thing is it drives like a chicken with one leg. I'm not sure if the 302 just isn't enough for the weight of the chassis. The second is it overheats when in stop in go traffic or in town at every stoplight. HAS a ton of wires about and an MSD ignition that's not even being used. Wtf did I get myself into??

Old 10-06-2024 | 07:19 PM
cwegga
Tuned
Have you tested the electric fans and electric water pump to make sure they are working right/coming on? You need a fan shroud. Otherwise when you aren't moving the fan won't be able to pull air through enough of the radiator.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-06-2024 | 07:24 PM
WhatF250
|
4wd Low
Originally Posted by cwegga
Have you tested the electric fans and electric water pump to make sure they are working right/coming on? You need a fan shroud. Otherwise when you aren't moving the fan won't be able to pull air through enough of the radiator.
I know the fans work. They kick on at the turn of the key. The radiator is aftermarket get a picture tomorrow. There's two and are kinda staggered, but that probably isn't saying anything. I do know it doesn't have a shroud. Also how would I test the electric water pump. I'm just coming off the Harley world and trying to get into owning a classic truck.

Old 10-06-2024 | 08:33 PM
WhatF250
|
4wd Low
I should also add the coolant boiled....er well spat out of the overflow nipple but temps were definitely over 230. The cheap tach the guy put in reads temp in celsius but definitely was hitting that 120°c

Old 10-06-2024 | 09:21 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts slinger
Club FTE Gold Member
Well...a 76 should not have the F250 Custom badges on the cowl, they should be on the fenders. The front bumper is a 78/79 for sure. And it looks like a old high boy that they swapped the steering to a 78/79. I bet it drives very different with the wide Pit Bull Rocker tires versus the military take off 37x12.50x16.5's. Do you have spacers on the front axle to run those military bead lock rims?

One pic shows a straight pitman arm and then the other show drop pitman arm. And I see a cut and welded home made (lengthened) adjustable link. The piece going from the pitman arm to the steering arm on top of the dvrs side axle steering knuckle. You need to get the proper one ASAP. Notched the front leaf spring hanger to get those leaf springs on it...are your rear leas 2 1/4 wide by chance?

I like the frog on the ps pump, and that is a newer year serpentine belt set up ps pump and that alternator (L bracket and adjustable rod set up) should be addressed also. So it overheats, is the elec water pump hooked up and working?

351W/302/5.0L has 6 bolts on trapezoidal valve covers. Thermostat housing on intake. Exhaust bolt holes horizontal. What did you get yourself into...quite a project to work on.

Old Yesterday | 12:23 AM
SlikWillie
Cargo Master
That's definitely a 302/351 you have. If you want to keep it, parts are much easier to find and they will be cheaper than most other Ford V8s.
First, go to the parts store and get a mechanical water pump and ditch that electric pump. Personally, I wouldn't trust an e-pump.
Second, go to a junkyard/ salvage yard and get all the brackets and accessories from a 302/351 (you could probably get a pump there too) to make your life easier. Your current set up is seriously making me cringe. Who in the heck spaces a drive pully like that and uses angle iron to make a belt drive work. I'm really curious of what the PO was on when he put this together.
Third, I 100% agree with Rich, replace than homemade steering linkage with a quickness. Steering and brakes are the two systems that you do not cut corners and try to save money on. For your safety and the safety of others.
Fouth, If the PO told you that truck is a '76, verify the title VIN with the VIN stamp on the frame rail. Cabs can be swapped and that's ok. Make sure you have what you think you have before spending any money on it.

Old Yesterday | 05:41 AM
WhatF250
|
4wd Low
Originally Posted by SlikWillie
That's definitely a 302/351 you have. If you want to keep it, parts are much easier to find and they will be cheaper than most other Ford V8s.
First, go to the parts store and get a mechanical water pump and ditch that electric pump. Personally, I wouldn't trust an e-pump.
Second, go to a junkyard/ salvage yard and get all the brackets and accessories from a 302/351 (you could probably get a pump there too) to make your life easier. Your current set up is seriously making me cringe. Who in the heck spaces a drive pully like that and uses angle iron to make a belt drive work. I'm really curious of what the PO was on when he put this together.
Third, I 100% agree with Rich, replace than homemade steering linkage with a quickness. Steering and brakes are the two systems that you do not cut corners and try to save money on. For your safety and the safety of others.
Fouth, If the PO told you that truck is a '76, verify the title VIN with the VIN stamp on the frame rail. Cabs can be swapped and that's ok. Make sure you have what you think you have before spending any money on it.
not gonna lie I'm sure he was on something, or was just a shade tree mechanic. I did see pictures of it originally with the flatbed on it. I have no idea what it has going on. But a mechanical water pump sounds ideal. Guess I should have researched more on it. The pit bull tires i don't have on it as I won't be doing any swamping or rock crawling. This is very good info thank you.

Old Yesterday | 10:17 AM
79F150400M
Laughing Gas
I'd spend a few minutes with some zip ties and tidy up those wires laying loose around the engine compartment. Looks like a rats nest.

Old Yesterday | 02:32 PM
WhatF250
|
4wd Low
Originally Posted by 79F150400M
I'd spend a few minutes with some zip ties and tidy up those wires laying loose around the engine compartment. Looks like a rats nest.
yes that is true. I'm not sure what the guy was smoking but it's an eye sore. The spark plug wires all over each other and on the valve covers. Not cool. Would it be right to say that the 302 engine would not be sufficient for all this weight? It feels like semi truck speeds with a full haul.

Old Yesterday | 03:05 PM
yardbird
Logistics Pro
I wouldn't do any jumping with that short brake hose going to the caliper.......

Old Yesterday | 03:06 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Club FTE Gold Member
Lets get it to not over heat and stop before looking into the power or lack of first.

For the over heating yes check that the electric pump is working.
If you plan on going back to motor driven pump you need to know what way the timing cover is set up to run.
V belt turn 1 way and surp belt turns the other and they each take a timing cover made to what way the pump turns.

Now them fans on the radiator are only covering maybe 1/2 of the fins no wonder it over heats.
The fans HAVE TO pull air over ALL THE FINS!
I dont know a good way to fix this from what I see
If you can make a shroud that covers all the fins that sits back from them and then mount the fans to it may work.
I dont know the CFM of them fans but if they are low even with 2 fan it may not be enough to pull a lot of air thru.

BTW we know it is a lack of air flow because you said (I believe) when moving it dose not over heat only stop & go in town.

Dose that rear drive shaft look like it is installed backwards?
The slip joint should be facing the other way so dirt / water dont get into it.
Dave ----

The following 2 users liked this post by FuzzFace2:
Old Yesterday | 03:13 PM
yardbird
Logistics Pro
First......Why???????

Second......It looks like it hasn't been driven since most of the parts were put on it. The paint on the muffler hasn't even turned yet.

Third......Do you think you could find someone else to buy it before someone gets hurt?

Old Yesterday | 03:31 PM
WhatF250
|
4wd Low
Originally Posted by yardbird
First......Why???????

Second......It looks like it hasn't been driven since most of the parts were put on it. The paint on the muffler hasn't even turned yet.

Third......Do you think you could find someone else to buy it before someone gets hurt?
yeah so far from the responses I've already listed it. This was NOT what i was looking for.

Old Yesterday | 05:04 PM
WhatF250
|
4wd Low
Originally Posted by yardbird
I wouldn't do any jumping with that short brake hose going to the caliper.......

I don't plan on anything off road. But ill keep that in mind for sure.

Old Yesterday | 05:05 PM
SlikWillie
Cargo Master
Don't beat yourself up. This could still be a fun project. Just gotta stay positive about it. Like we mentioned, fix the cooling issue, brakes, and steering parts first. In case you didn't know, Ford put 302s in F250s in the 80s and early 90s because they can be stout enough to do the job. So don't sweat that. I wouldn't drive it too much before you fix the safety issues and reliability stuff first. If you have any questions, that's why this website exists, ask away. Most of us are more than happy to help. And to be honest, I love these kinds of projects. It's more stuff for you to fix/replace to meet your expectations instead of someone else's.

Quick Reply: Frankenford needs some help.