1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

OBS Ford Two Tone Paint Color Break

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2024 | 04:21 PM
TURDO
|
Mountain Pass
OBS Ford Two Tone Paint Color Break

Good evening all,

I have a quick question about the two tone painted trucks. My truck is at the body shop now about to get a new paint job. I will be going with white on top & bottom with the royal blue metallic in the middle. My question in where does one color break to the next color in reference to the body line of the truck? In other words where does it break from white to blue on the top & then back to white on the bottom? It seems on the top the color changes about 1/2" or so below the body line? Where does it change on the lower body line? I want to be sure i get this line as close to factory looking as possible. If anyone has or could get me some precise measurments on this it would be greatly appreciated as I can not find anything online. I am also planning to get a set of pinstripes from phoenix graphics.

Thank you in advance 🍻

Old 09-28-2024 | 05:30 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
JJR20 might have those measurements since he recently painted his truck.

Old 09-28-2024 | 08:19 PM
cougrrcj
Tuned
Here's a pic that shows it pretty well. The tape stripes are still available from some sources, but I can't remember where I saw them...
My truck got 'sunburned' on the upper surfaces when it sat outside in the hot Florida sun before I got it, so I need to paint a everything from that upper tape stripe and up.

Old 09-28-2024 | 10:08 PM
eldomike51
5th Wheeling
Here is mine...

Old 09-28-2024 | 10:27 PM
JJF20
Hotshot
Club FTE Silver Member
I couldn’t find any measurements myself either. I used measurements from a box I used on my truck. The box had been re painted at some point a solid color, but the original two tone paint was underneath and I took the measurements from there. It is very possible even that was a re paint, I do not know the history of that box - but it looked to be original.

1/2” for the top from the body line.
3/4” for the bottom from the lower body line.

The Phoenix Graphix pin stripes are the only one I am aware of that are factory style and measurements.

The top stripe is 7/8” wide with 7 stripes.
The bottom is 3/4” wide with 5 stripes.

They cover quite a bit, ie. you have some room to play with. The pin stripes I used close up pictures of factory paint schemes I found online to estimate where to place them.

3/8” for the top pin stripe from the body line.
1/4” for the bottom from the body line.

NOTE: In the future, I would place the top pin stripe 1/16” - 1/8” higher. The placement I used just touches the lower mirror mount, and door cyl lock. I started laying the pin stripes on the box first and did not realize until it was too late when I got to the cab and had to trim it slightly around the cyl lock. I use masking tape to run placement lines first, and use that as the guide for placing the pin stripe. Same with any trim.

The Phoenix Graphix instructions say to not worry about small / tiny bubbles in the pinstripes. I had lots of them, very very small ones. It says they will flatten out over time in the sun. I had a hard time believing it, but after a few months the bubbles did flattened out.

Top.

Bottom.

Overall pic. Most recent. Was a little rainy that day. If you need more let me know.

EDIT: If anyone has a known factory original two tone paint (ie. you personally know the full history of the truck since new), it would be great to get pictures of the measurements.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-28-2024 | 10:40 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cougrrcj
Here's a pic that shows it pretty well. The tape stripes are still available from some sources, but I can't remember where I saw them...
My truck got 'sunburned' on the upper surfaces when it sat outside in the hot Florida sun before I got it, so I need to paint an everything from that upper tape stripe and up.
Alright but I believe the OP wants to know where the paint color changes.

Old 09-29-2024 | 03:02 AM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Originally Posted by JJF20

EDIT: If anyone has a known factory original two tone paint (ie. you personally know the full history of the truck since new), it would be great to get pictures of the measurements.

I have an original paint tutone (25 years) and an original paint single tone , what areas of pics do you want?

The following 2 users liked this post by Jaaaaaaackman:
Old 09-29-2024 | 07:46 AM
JJF20
Hotshot
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaackman
I have an original paint tutone (25 years) and an original paint single tone , what areas of pics do you want?
Same pics as I took, along with the location of the trim. That would make this an excellent info thread for a tech folder.

It can be difficult to get the paint breaks, but you might be able to tell inside the door on the edge and inside the door jambs.

The exact placement of the 4x4 decal as well.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-29-2024 | 03:52 PM
cougrrcj
Tuned
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
Alright but I believe the OP wants to know where the paint color changes.
raining here the past few days... truck is outside. I'll get detailed pics of my original paint '95 at door jambs, etc. when it dries up a bit...

The following 2 users liked this post by cougrrcj:
Old 09-29-2024 | 03:59 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
raining here the past few days... truck is outside. I'll get detailed pics of my original paint '95 at door jambs, etc. when it dries up a bit...
Lol. Same here. Didn’t rain for two months and now it won’t stop raining.

Old 09-29-2024 | 07:15 PM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo

The more pics the better, I'll get pics up also tomorrow or asap

Old 09-29-2024 | 08:17 PM
TURDO
|
Mountain Pass
Awesome guys. Can someone with an original factory two tone painted truck get me some close measurements off their truck as well? How far down does the top color go below the body line before it changes? How far above the bottom body line does the color change? Thank you.

Old 09-29-2024 | 08:24 PM
TURDO
|
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by JJF20
I couldn’t find any measurements myself either. I used measurements from a box I used on my truck. The box had been re painted at some point a solid color, but the original two tone paint was underneath and I took the measurements from there. It is very possible even that was a re paint, I do not know the history of that box - but it looked to be original.

1/2” for the top from the body line.
3/4” for the bottom from the lower body line.

The Phoenix Graphix pin stripes are the only one I am aware of that are factory style and measurements.

The top stripe is 7/8” wide with 7 stripes.
The bottom is 3/4” wide with 5 stripes.

They cover quite a bit, ie. you have some room to play with. The pin stripes I used close up pictures of factory paint schemes I found online to estimate where to place them.

3/8” for the top pin stripe from the body line.
1/4” for the bottom from the body line.

NOTE: In the future, I would place the top pin stripe 1/16” - 1/8” higher. The placement I used just touches the lower mirror mount, and door cyl lock. I started laying the pin stripes on the box first and did not realize until it was too late when I got to the cab and had to trim it slightly around the cyl lock. I use masking tape to run placement lines first, and use that as the guide for placing the pin stripe. Same with any trim.

The Phoenix Graphix instructions say to not worry about small / tiny bubbles in the pinstripes. I had lots of them, very very small ones. It says they will flatten out over time in the sun. I had a hard time believing it, but after a few months the bubbles did flattened out.

Top.

Bottom.

Overall pic. Most recent. Was a little rainy that day. If you need more let me know.

Thank you man!

Old 09-29-2024 | 08:38 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by TURDO
Awesome guys. Can someone with an original factory two tone painted truck get me some close measurements off their truck as well? How far down does the top color go below the body line before it changes? How far above the bottom body line does the color change? Thank you.
Isn’t that the same thing you asked in the first post? Post 7 asked for more information from you & post 9 said he would get you measurements when weather permits.

Old 09-29-2024 | 10:18 PM
TURDO
|
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
Isn’t that the same thing you asked in the first post? Post 7 asked for more information from you & post 9 said he would get you measurements when weather permits.
Yes. Sorry man to be more specific I was being sure someone with a factory two time paint job could throw a tape measure on their truck.

Quick Reply: OBS Ford Two Tone Paint Color Break