1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Simplified ASK

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2024 | 04:05 PM
mytoolman
|
Laughing Gas
Simplified ASK

1972 F250 C6/390. I need to CORRECTLY (the first time) connect my new turn signal switch to the 7 wire harness plug end under the dash of my truck. The replacement Dennis Carpenter repop switch has different colored wires to what the original did. I dont want to chart out 36 different position combinations before I find the correct one.

Additionally It appears the Schematic in Fordification, that Ive been referred to, has a different plug shown than what I have.
Even if the plug in that schematic matched what I have it wouldnt matter anyway I have real difficulty reading schematics.

I can be helped if someone will Answer this: Photo #1 contains a hand drawn diagram of the male pin plug I have. I have lettered each hole space that pinned wires fit into. Please also see Photo #2 = Dennis Carpenter (DC) "Wire Destination Guide". I have designated a number for each color of wire in the DC Guide.

PLEASE Help me by telling me where to connect each wire into the plug. Example: Does the wire Ive designated as #1 in the DC Guide plug into Plug hole lettered A? Or instead does it plug into B or instead does it plug into C,D,E,F or G????? and then please answer for the same thing for All the remaining 6 wires.

PHOTO #!: Male Pin Connector Plug that each pinned wire in the harness for the turn signals clips into. aka steering column harness

PHOTO #2: Dennis Carpenter (DC) "Wire Destination Guide with each wire designated with its own number.

Old 09-21-2024 | 07:01 PM
RichS2659
Cargo Master
As a former USAF Technical Training instructor, the easiest way to learn schematics is to print them out, and use color pencils to trace out the circuits one wire at a time. Use the C-21 drawing, the master wiring diagram, and this quick guide to trace out where what goes where:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/wi...m-72_quick.jpg

Old 09-21-2024 | 10:18 PM
mytoolman
|
Laughing Gas
Thanks

Originally Posted by RichS2659
As a former USAF Technical Training instructor, the easiest way to learn schematics is to print them out, and use color pencils to trace out the circuits one wire at a time. Use the C-21 drawing, the master wiring diagram, and this quick guide to trace out where what goes where:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/wi...m-72_quick.jpg
thank you! Your "quick guide" schematic(unlike the "MASTER SCHEMATIC I previously looked at) ACTUALLY shows a plug just like mine...the correct plug! I have a fighting chance now. Your suggestion to print and high Lite will also be utilized...

I had to have a mechanic friend remove the old pins from the connector plug. I couldn't see or find the pin barbs in the connector plug to release the pin to remove the old wires.

I cut the plug off the old harness to best manage the pin removals. Sitting in comfort on my couch I still had no success removing those old stubby wires locked in place by the pin barbs. My mechanic friend removed them for me.

I'm petrified I'll push these pinned wires in this new switch into the plug and lock them in in the wrong place in that plug.

Removing them within the surroundings of the dash is something I fear.. I was unable while sitting comfortably. In my view I'll have one chance to attach this harness into that plug.

All of the previous and my general inexperience reading schematics are why I asked for the ask the way I did.

I think it's nasty for Dennis Carpenter to have sold this part without a diagram showing where each pinned wire fits into the plug.

I guess I could have a plan B and cut the plug off the truck's harness and hard wire the column harness to the truck's harness if I make a mistake and can't remove pinned wires from the plug.