Sponsored by:

Hydra Chip Performance (disappointed) RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2024, 09:55 AM
Bronccat
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hydra Chip Performance (disappointed) RESOLVED

****UPDATE - RESOLVED**** (See last post)

Stock 2002 7.3
35x11.50 tires, 3.73 gears
Hydra correctly installed (PCM hex matched etc)

Added Hydra, downloaded tunes, installed.
Very little noticeable improvement (using performance 80 hp in this example).
If I hammer it going up hill (around 45 mph) getting about 17.5 boost (Forscan Lite MGP PID).

I'll be honest, going from stock to 80 - there are times I wonder if I feel any difference at all.

Would this lead you to think something is amiss - or does it sound about right? I know I'm fighting the tires a bit but I really expected a more significant change in performance.

TIA!

Old 09-13-2024, 11:38 AM
John in OkieLand
Cargo Master
Received 796 Likes on 604 Posts
something is Definitely amiss.

'02 7.3 Excursion,
stock except for 6.0 ATF cooler up front,
ByPass oil cleaner,

the Hydra on 80hp mode, gets up and goes, fast...
the transmission shifts perfect.

used to use 65hp DD mode, but I like the 80hp mode for everyday driving a lot better.

the throttle response is very good, it takes off with the very first touch of the pedal, unlike when Stock no Hydra, I had to push it almost to the floor to get it to go.

when I tow, I use the 25hp Tow tune

Old 09-13-2024, 11:48 AM
Bronccat
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by John in OkieLand
something is Definitely amiss.

'02 7.3 Excursion,
stock except for 6.0 ATF cooler up front,
ByPass oil cleaner,

the Hydra on 80hp mode, gets up and goes, fast...
the transmission shifts perfect.

used to use 65hp DD mode, but I like the 80hp mode for everyday driving a lot better.

the throttle response is very good, it takes off with the very first touch of the pedal, unlike when Stock no Hydra, I had to push it almost to the floor to get it to go.

when I tow, I use the 25hp Tow tune
Thanks - sounds like what I was expecting. Talking to PHP and RiffRaff now. PHP asked for some logs and RR said to check fuel pressure.

Old 09-13-2024, 11:58 AM
corpsedub
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I can hit defuel on boost with stock tuning and a wheel. So something is up.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-13-2024, 05:28 PM
Bronccat
Cross-Country
Been talking to PHP all day (amazing support) and I've sent clips of Forscan gauges at stock, 65 perf and 80 perf. Nothing conclusive yet, will post back on Monday.

Old 09-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Jo7.3
Laughing Gas
Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts
Sounds like you probably have some boost/exhaust leaks. Have the up-pipes been replaced? If they're the original, they're probably leaking. I'm running custom tunes and can hit 28-30psi with WOT on a daily driver tune. When I tried the PHP tunes, they also produced similar boost numbers.

That being said, it sounds like you may have other issues on top of potential boost leaks. Because when I first got my hydra, I was running 315/75/16 tires (roughly a 35 inch tire) and could tell a big difference in stock tuning vs any of the PHP tunes.

Old 09-13-2024, 08:07 PM
Bronccat
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Jo7.3
Sounds like you probably have some boost/exhaust leaks. Have the up-pipes been replaced? If they're the original, they're probably leaking. I'm running custom tunes and can hit 28-30psi with WOT on a daily driver tune. When I tried the PHP tunes, they also produced similar boost numbers.

That being said, it sounds like you may have other issues on top of potential boost leaks. Because when I first got my hydra, I was running 315/75/16 tires (roughly a 35 inch tire) and could tell a big difference in stock tuning vs any of the PHP tunes.
Thanks! My boost is max high 17s no matter which tune I ran (65 or 80 performance or stock). That's per Forscan Lite MGP.

And up pipes are likely stock.

Old 09-13-2024, 10:21 PM
John in OkieLand
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Bronccat
Thanks! My boost is max high 17s no matter which tune I ran (65 or 80 performance or stock). That's per Forscan Lite MGP.

And up pipes are likely stock.
Same here,
the Edge CTS-3 shows 17-18 max boost...

that is a computed number though, from the MAF, not a true Boost gauge reading.

Old 09-14-2024, 07:10 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 429 Likes on 215 Posts
You may also want to monitor your ICP and IPR values to see what they are at WOT. You should expect to see anywhere between 2600-3000 psi. Any less and you may have a weak HPOP or questionable IPR.

Old 09-14-2024, 07:21 AM
Bronccat
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
You may also want to monitor your ICP and IPR values to see what they are at WOT. You should expect to see anywhere between 2600-3000 psi. Any less and you may have a weak HPOP or questionable IPR.

Top is 80 performance bottom is stock. Both going up a hill at WOT.

Old 09-14-2024, 08:12 AM
Bronccat
Cross-Country
Side note. When I was trying WOT in stock for comparison, I went to switch up to 80 and accidentally hit down (empty slot) and went NS and couldn't change it. Truck was in PATS and couldn't reset it. I fortunately had laptop with me and reprogrammed the chip. (I think I failed to select PATS when I programmed). But I also noticed that the HC controller wouldn’t turn off.
I got home and added 80 performance to 6th slot. Saved, disconnected, turned key on and momentarily went NS, and 6 wasn't there. Then cycled again and NS was gone and 6 was there. Through all of the the controller wasn't turning off absent me unplugging it.

Old 09-14-2024, 08:49 AM
John in OkieLand
Cargo Master
Side note. When I was trying WOT in stock for comparison, I went to switch up to 80 and accidentally hit down (empty slot) and went NS and couldn't change it. Truck was in PATS and couldn't reset it. I fortunately had laptop with me and reprogrammed the chip. (I think I failed to select PATS when I programmed). But I also noticed that the HC controller wouldn’t turn off.
I got home and added 80 performance to 6th slot. Saved, disconnected, turned key on and momentarily went NS, and 6 wasn't there. Then cycled again and NS was gone and 6 was there. Through all of the the controller wasn't turning off absent me unplugging it.
the 1st time I programmed my Hydra, I also did not select the PATS option, and was unable to change the programs with the Hydra switch.

Went thru the Programming a 2nd time, and set it to PATS, and after that it works as it should.

Old 09-14-2024, 08:52 AM
Bronccat
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by John in OkieLand
the 1st time I programmed my Hydra, I also did not select the PATS option, and was unable to change the programs with the Hydra switch.

Went thru the Programming a 2nd time, and set it to PATS, and after that it works as it should.
Good to know. What about it staying on after key is off?

I going to start over today and try some other tunes and see if I can get any different results. So far the truck feels the same no matter what I do.

Old 09-14-2024, 11:15 AM
Bronccat
Cross-Country
I just ran it 3x (rolling start 23 mph, flat / straight stretch, WOT for 9 seconds) in stock, 100 performance and 80 towing.

Results were almost identical. Top speed was 57 give or take. Boost was high 16s (MGP). Shifting was nearly identical.

Old 09-14-2024, 02:13 PM
John in OkieLand
Cargo Master
I just ran it 3x (rolling start 23 mph, flat / straight stretch, WOT for 9 seconds) in stock, 100 performance and 80 towing.

Results were almost identical. Top speed was 57 give or take. Boost was high 16s (MGP). Shifting was nearly identical.
I don't think you will see much of a Difference between 100hp and 80hp...

been a couple years ago, but I remember testing the different settings, and it would hit 80 mph pretty quick.

my Edge CTS-3 has a monitor setting that I ought try out,
it will Log and let you save to an SDcard, the results of speed tests like that.

but, a SWAG, is that from 10-15 mph to 80 happens pretty fast with the 80hp tune.

No where around my home where I can try that w/o attracting unwanted attention.

Wish I had seen your post this morning, I went to town and back, and there are several straight line places on the US-hwy where I could have tried that out....

I know it will hit 100mph if I don't get off the throttle.

Quick Reply: Hydra Chip Performance (disappointed) RESOLVED