New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!

93 Bronco 351w EFI missing terribly and backfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2024, 05:56 AM
Jeff72205
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93 Bronco 351w EFI missing terribly and backfire

I washed my truck at a neighborhood car was . So I decided to spray the engine compartment down as I just bought a few months ago and was planning doing some minor work. It has and still starts right up.
Long story short the next day it developed a small miss and sputter started along with an occasional backfire.. And has gotten progressively worse. To the point I'm afraid to drive it and do more damage if it gets worse. I had buddy look at it and he suggested the EGR valve or sensor go wet or is bad. I'm not auto mechanic obviously. So here I am
Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

That's my boy

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-08-2024, 07:41 PM
Papa Tiger
Fleet Owner
Received 3,610 Likes on 2,492 Posts
The ignition system of a 1993 Ford Bronco includes several key components such as the distributor, ignition coil, spark plugs, and wires. Here are some details:
  1. Distributor: This component directs high voltage from the ignition coil to the spark plugs in the correct firing order. You can find both performance and stock replacement distributors for the 1993 Bronco12.
  2. Ignition Coil: This transforms the battery’s low voltage to the thousands of volts needed to create an electric spark in the spark plugs1.
  3. Spark Plugs and Wires: These are crucial for igniting the air-fuel mixture in the engine’s cylinders. High-quality spark plugs and wires ensure efficient combustion and engine performance12.
  4. Ignition Control Module: This module controls the timing of the spark and can be found in various performance levels2.
If you’re experiencing issues like hard starting, misfires, or rough idling, it might be time to check or replace some of these components. Do you need help with a specific part or troubleshooting an issue?

Old 09-11-2024, 12:05 AM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 869 Likes on 785 Posts
I suspect water intrusion in a spark plug boot or maybe the distributor.

If it still has a catalytic converter, disconnect all spark plug wires and remove the distributor cap and let all of them dry out for a couple of days. Maybe do the same for the EGR connector as well. If the weather is wet, take everything you can into the garage and put them in front of a box fan or similar for the dry cycle. If you don't know how to do these things properly, find someone who does and have them do it.

If it does not have a catalytic converter, start it and let it idle for an hour. Keep an eye on gauges etc. This will give a chance for everything under the hood to get good and hot and hopefully evaporate the offending water. If this doesn't work, then do the step above.

My $0.02 .

Also, the folks that know about this sort of thing don't often visit the "New Member Introductions" forum. You might want to ask the same question over in the "1978 - 1996 Big Bronco" forum.

Welcome aboard!