1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Shop charged me for Kryptonite ball joints and I have Moog installed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2024, 04:17 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Shop charged me for Kryptonite ball joints and I have Moog installed.

Kinda annoyed/bummed/angry. Had my ball joints replaced by a local diesel shop (he replaced my injector cups and oil cooler with no issues prior) with Moogs ball joints. Well 3000 miles later they are already bad. So he told me he will replace them under warranty (and paid a price difference) with kryptonite ball joints. I just went under the truck to check on other things and noticed the ball joints are not kryptonites and the upper ball joint isn't flush with the knuckle. Pretty sure that's not normal. Also to add im having really bad memory steering issues after these were installed. The replacement Moogs prior to these didn't give me this issue. What would go guys do in this situation?

Old 09-06-2024, 04:58 PM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,193 Posts
You paid a price difference for the Kryptonite ball joints? If that's right he owes you some money and an explanation. Then I'd reacquaint yourself to some tools and start doing my own repair work.

What does the other side of the uppers look like? Are they pressed to the shoulder or is there a gap? Was an alignment done after the install? If no then that is likely the cause for steering issues.

Old 09-06-2024, 05:02 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by udsuth78
You paid a price difference for the Kryptonite ball joints? If that's right he owes you some money and an explanation. Then I'd reacquaint yourself to some tools and start doing my own repair work.

What does the other side of the uppers look like? Are they pressed to the shoulder or is there a gap? Was an alignment done after the install? If no then that is likely the cause for steering issues.
I'll have to go look, but I did get alignment after. Isn't the upper ball joint supposed to be flush with the knuckle?

Old 09-06-2024, 05:42 PM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by L-ight
I'll have to go look, but I did get alignment after. Isn't the upper ball joint supposed to be flush with the knuckle?
They press to the shoulder on the joint . If it's seated to the shoulder then that all the further it can go. If it doesn't protrude to the other side then that's how it was ,ade and nothing to do with the install.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-06-2024, 06:11 PM
Hellraiser456
Mountain Pass
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I have the trx ball joints (suppose to be what the kryptonite joints are) and they sit just proud of the knuckle. You cant get the c clip on them, but they aint going anywhere as they are sandwiched between the knuckle and axle.

I have about 2k miles on them. Nothing bad to say but still very early. Going to give everything another squirt of grease this weekend. They were a tad stiff, but beating in the axles shafts sure loosened them up lol.

Makes me wonder if that is even the right part though for sure. Why not use that space. Maybe they are 2wd ball joints or something?

Eff that shop. This is why i continue to invest in tools. Ball joint press is what you need and get a decent one, as its a breeze to do the joints with a good electric impact and a ball joint press.

If that isnt an option, find a new shop after they replace them with parts you paid for.

Old 09-06-2024, 06:25 PM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
I'm starting to wonder if they're fakes. I tried Googling that number on them and barely got a Moog website to come up. Other than that the number doesn't lead any further than Moog ball joint.

Old 09-06-2024, 06:48 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
I'm starting to wonder if they're fakes. I tried Googling that number on them and barely got a Moog website to come up. Other than that the number doesn't lead any further than Moog ball joint.
I saw on their site that's it's very similar. Not the exact same number but had the same layout.
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k80028

Old 09-06-2024, 06:55 PM
F0rdc0wb0y
Fleet Mechanic
Received 472 Likes on 277 Posts
sucks on the ball joints. I did have a return to center problem on one of my front end rebuilds. If I remember correctly, the ball joints have to be torqued in a certain sequence and torque setting.

Old 09-06-2024, 06:55 PM
RLXXI
Temporarily Deactivated

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Take your truck to someone that knows what they're doing, sue the others in small claims ct later. Suspension/alignment is one of my specialties, I see an accident waiting to happen.

Old 09-06-2024, 06:58 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by RLXXI
Take your truck to someone that knows what they're doing, sue the others in small claims ct later. Do not trust it to last.
Sue for what, though? It would cost more to get a lawyer. It was around $500 for the upper/lower + labor, iirc. The shop owner said he's going to make it right and I'll definitely won't be going back. Thing that's weird is that he did a great job on my engine work and on the first set of ball joints. Why cut this corner now? Makes me think it was a tech issue and not an owner issue but of course this will fall back on the owner.

Old 09-06-2024, 08:38 PM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
I saw on their site that's it's very similar. Not the exact same number but had the same layout.
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k80028
You don't think China can mimic an alphanumeric part #? Some of the lengths they go too just to fake a part or whatever honestly doesn't make sense sometimes, but you can bet they would try faking your momma's breastmilk if they thought they could make a buck.

The following 2 users liked this post by udsuth78:
Old 09-06-2024, 08:50 PM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
Had a look for a torque sequence and found this.

https://www.mevotech.com/tsb/addressing-memory-steer/

Old 09-06-2024, 08:53 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Had a look for a torque sequence and found this.

https://www.mevotech.com/tsb/addressing-memory-steer/
Nice find. Do you think the ball joints could be bad now or could it be fixed by re torquing the nuts to correct order?

Old 09-06-2024, 08:54 PM
RLXXI
Temporarily Deactivated

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Sue for what, though? It would cost more to get a lawyer. It was around $500 for the upper/lower + labor, iirc. The shop owner said he's going to make it right and I'll definitely won't be going back. Thing that's weird is that he did a great job on my engine work and on the first set of ball joints. Why cut this corner now? Makes me think it was a tech issue and not an owner issue but of course this will fall back on the owner.
For faulty repairs. You don't need a lawyer, go the local court house and file, that ball joint is not going to stay attached.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-06-2024, 09:10 PM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
Wouldn't you need to have some way to support a claim like that? Plus the fact the shop owner has offered and is willing to correct the mistakes probably wouldn't score you any points with a judge.

Quick Reply: Shop charged me for Kryptonite ball joints and I have Moog installed.