1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I'm one oil sample result away from being a traitor.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 09:43 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm one oil sample result away from being a traitor.

I've been shopping for a new home for a while, and I just spent the last two days surveying a prospect. The basement is not like your conventional home, it has a couple of these down there.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tugly:
Old 07-26-2024, 09:52 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,814 Likes on 3,028 Posts
Water based home I take it?

The following 2 users liked this post by Sous:
Old 07-26-2024, 10:09 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Yup... That's a Cummins Marine engine. I'm retiring and our plan was always to be mobile for retirement, we finally settled on a liveaboard boat - after shopping for one for close to a year.

The deal can still fall apart, but if the oil samples prove good - it will end my 7.3L days sometime this fall. The boat is too big to be towed on the open road, so everything is being sold off that doesn't fit in/on it (except the Prius is still needed for groceries and doctor visits).

Old 07-26-2024, 10:43 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,828 Likes on 1,288 Posts
Hate to see you leave the 7.3 world, but best wishes as you quite literally sail off into your retirement. Enjoy it sir!

Old 07-26-2024, 10:56 AM
John in OkieLand
Cargo Master
Received 777 Likes on 590 Posts
never had the chance to try that life, but my book reads tend to be about living on boats and spy thrillers in the Florida and Caribbean world.

Don Rich, Evan Graver, Wayne Stinnett, Matt Lincoln, and more authors like them.

I have always worked and lived in the Greater Southwestern states,
and ended up in OkieLand when I retired

Old 07-26-2024, 12:30 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Keeping the 7.3L in the topic so we don't get booted, Frankenstinky needs a little attention before I put him on the market. I got a rock chip on the windshield that spidered out, the pin striping looks a little sad, and he's due for a coolant flush.

Frankenstinky has been a much more reliable rig than Stinky ever was, I've really enjoyed just driving and preventative maintenance vs. fix, fix, fix.

On the topic of boat living, my wife and I were the most relaxed while on the boat we had, and I've always been jealous of people on TV, movies, and YouTube that live on boats.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-26-2024, 12:59 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 810 Likes on 482 Posts
Frankenstinky could still be that grocery getter, hate to see it go

Very much excited for the two of you doing this together.

Old 07-26-2024, 03:18 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Two diesels in one vehicle is more maintenance than I really want, but I'm willing to endure for the sake of what that brings. Adding a 3rd diesel to my maintenance list? That takes away from my boating time and money - taboo. All Hail! Boat!

Old 07-26-2024, 03:35 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,912 Likes on 2,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I'm retiring and our plan was always to be mobile for retirement, we finally settled on a liveaboard boat - The boat is too big to be towed on the open road, so everything is being sold off that doesn't fit in/on it (except the Prius is still needed for groceries and doctor visits).
How does that work?

The Prius gets stored at a dock yard in Washington?

What if you are sailing in San Diego, and need to get groceries?

Old 07-26-2024, 03:52 PM
OldMechanic57
Tuned
Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts
Two diesels in one vehicle is more maintenance than I really want, but I'm willing to endure for the sake of what that brings. Adding a 3rd diesel to my maintenance list? That takes away from my boating time and money - taboo. All Hail! Boat!
I’m also a Cummins guy, maybe I can be Gilligan!😂

The following 2 users liked this post by OldMechanic57:
Old 07-26-2024, 03:57 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 267 Likes on 181 Posts
Just how big is this vessel? Hope you over-nighted the oil samples, today makes 3 weeks I've been waiting on the results from my last one.

Old 07-26-2024, 04:20 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
How does that work?

The Prius gets stored at a dock yard in Washington?

What if you are sailing in San Diego, and need to get groceries?
We're sticking around the PNW. Most of the West coast is open water - where Puget Sound, the Salish Sea, and the Inside Passage is epic beauty protected from the demons lurking in open ocean. Our boat is considered a coastal cruiser (Flybridge Sedan).

Old 07-26-2024, 04:41 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
The samples here take about a week. The boat is listed as a 34, but LOA is never the advertised number (add for swim platform and any hardware sticking over the bow).

For those skeptical of that size for a liveaboard, consider this vs. any road vehicle that so many retirees live in:

40 foot 5er limiter to 8'6" width while in motion is 340 square feet. Adding 3 tip-outs might give you 400 sq ft of living space

That's the same area as the main deck on my prospective boat with a 12 ft beam... then there's the engine room and storage below... then there's the fly bridge. I feel drinks at sunset on the flybridge beats the hell out of beverages under the awning of a 5er... but that's me.

The only remaining question is if the boat has a layout conducive to living aboard, my wife and I feel it is.

Old 07-26-2024, 05:06 PM
OldMechanic57
Tuned
Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts
The samples here take about a week. The boat is listed as a 34, but LOA is never the advertised number (add for swim platform and any hardware sticking over the bow).

For those skeptical of that size for a liveaboard, consider this vs. any road vehicle that so many retirees live in:

40 foot 5er limiter to 8'6" width while in motion is 340 square feet. Adding 3 tip-outs might give you 400 sq ft of living space

That's the same area as the main deck on my prospective boat with a 12 ft beam... then there's the engine room and storage below... then there's the fly bridge. I feel drinks at sunset on the flybridge beats the hell out of beverages under the awning of a 5er... but that's me.

The only remaining question is if the boat has a layout conducive to living aboard, my wife and I feel it is.
Happy wife, happy life!

Old 07-26-2024, 05:15 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,218 Posts
Originally Posted by OldMechanic57
Happy wife, happy life!
Oh, and not to make it about me......

But I will be free to visit Tugly and the Mrs. anytime now that my wife wasn't happy and the divorce should be final (not that I'm looking forward to it or happy about it in any way) by mid-August.

Quick Reply: I'm one oil sample result away from being a traitor.