Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if you have transmission codes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 07:52 PM
Brand_Onion
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to tell if you have transmission codes?

So I am trying to resolve a hard shifting issue with my 97 F250, Seems to come and go at times and is most noticeable with heavier acceleration. I am planning on doing a full transmission fluid change here soon and am probably going to replace the neutral safety switch.as well to see it that helps. I have already replaced the rear end speed sensor as I had an ABS light and that resolved that, I keep seeing people talk about how you can have transmission codes but how do you know if these transmissions are throwing codes? Truck is a 1997 F250 7.3L Powerstroke with the E4OD transmission,

Old 06-29-2024, 08:11 PM
1Butcher
Laughing Gas
Received 259 Likes on 202 Posts
The transmission and engine are controlled by the same ECU. Check the engine ECU for codes, you will find them there.

Old 06-29-2024, 08:50 PM
Brand_Onion
Trailering
Originally Posted by 1Butcher
The transmission and engine are controlled by the same ECU. Check the engine ECU for codes, you will find them there.
A Alright I appreciate it I'll have to check. Would they throw any dash lights? Currently have no dash light nor is my OD light flashing.

Old 06-29-2024, 08:51 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,456 Likes on 1,150 Posts
Is the OD cancel button lamp flashing?

Old 06-29-2024, 09:03 PM
Brand_Onion
Trailering
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
Is the OD cancel button lamp flashing?
Nope don't appear to be.

Old 06-30-2024, 05:23 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Brand_Onion
A Alright I appreciate it I'll have to check. Would they throw any dash lights? Currently have no dash light nor is my OD light flashing.
Not necessarily. There could be codes but they aren’t bad enough for the computer to turn on the light. As seen in other threads, MLPS could be going bad but will not trigger a code. What exactly is happening with the transmission?

Old 06-30-2024, 08:04 AM
Brand_Onion
Trailering
Not necessarily. There could be codes but they aren’t bad enough for the computer to turn on the light. As seen in other threads, MLPS could be going bad but will not trigger a code. What exactly is happening with the transmission?
Shifting hard but not all the time seems to trigger a hard shift more often when your on the throttle a bit more. Fluid level is good checked hot level and it's well over halfway into the hot hash lines but the fluid could probably use changed. I have read other threads that said fluid/filter change and the MLPS can cause this issue in the E4OD. Already changed the speed sensor due to an ABS light so that's new.

Old 06-30-2024, 08:41 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
The computer also uses the TPS and other sensors to determine how to shift the transmission. You changed the VSS because that is the code you got and the sensor tested bad? Did you use a Motorcraft sensor?

Old 06-30-2024, 08:52 AM
Brand_Onion
Trailering
The computer also uses the TPS and other sensors to determine how to shift the transmission. You changed the VSS because that is the code you got and the sensor tested bad? Did you use a Motorcraft sensor?
I replaced it because the abs light came on and I heard that's the 1# culprit for the abs light and the new sensor resolved the issue. I didn't get a Motorcraft one I got one from Napa and replaced it lthough the transmission was doing the same thing before I changed it. This truck is a pretty recent purchase only had it a little over a week now. Although when I replaced the VSS one of the clips on the connector broke but the sensor does seem to seat pretty well still

Old 06-30-2024, 11:01 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
So you guessed. Doing that and not actually retrieving fault codes then testing the parts can and will quickly empty your wallet and leave you frustrated.

Old 06-30-2024, 11:09 AM
Brand_Onion
Trailering
So you guessed. Doing that and not actually retrieving fault codes then testing the parts can and will quickly empty your wallet and leave you frustrated.
I did but it was in fact the cause for the ABS light and that problem is resolved now. But the shifting issue has been going on since before the ABS light went off. Also prior to the ABS light I had an erratic behavior of the speedometer needle, particularly at highway speeds. The drivability of the vehicle didn't change during the events but the needle would go from my current speed 70 mph and jump around the speed range. It stopped doing that then the abs light came on. Currently the only thing I'm dealing with are hard shifts and like I said seems intermittent and really only happens when you get on the throttle more. So where is the best place to find the OEM Motorcraft parts for these trucks or is Napa a relatively reliable source for these sensors? Napa has pretty much been my go to whenever I can't find Motorcraft stuff local.

Old 06-30-2024, 11:41 AM
TobyB
More Turbo
Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

No codes here
This feature on your truck is positive confirmation that you have no transmission codes.

I am guilty of using the 'parts cannon' approach too, especially when it's one of those
'well it's either the VSS or the RABS, and the sensor's $15, or the module's $300'

sometimes you want to make the attempt without the commitment...

NAPA's top- line stuff tends to be anywhere from 'acceptable' to 'quite good'
and MotorCraft has been sending me things made in China for years, so the
gloss has gone off that onion... (a 351 water pump? really???)

t

Old 06-30-2024, 11:49 AM
1Butcher
Laughing Gas
I think we all use the shotgun method at least once in our lives. Without a doubt, it's really not a good method but we all come up with excuses to prove the method works. Kind of like buying a lottery ticket. The ones that win the big one will certainly say it was worth the $1. There are millions that say otherwise.

When I go down that path I tend to think of the part as a maintenance part. Parts that are replaced because it's time. We have 30+ year old trucks and many of the parts have been used for that length of time, so it's not always money wasted. Such as the coolant pump I replaced at 120k, front fuel pump at the same mileage, radiator at 125k, etc. I certainly do not know how long they would have lasted, but I also know, I don't want to do that job on the side of the road too.

Old 06-30-2024, 11:49 AM
Brand_Onion
Trailering
Originally Posted by TobyB

No codes here
This feature on your truck is positive confirmation that you have no transmission codes.

I am guilty of using the 'parts cannon' approach too, especially when it's one of those
'well it's either the VSS or the RABS, and the sensor's $15, or the module's $300'

sometimes you want to make the attempt without the commitment...

NAPA's top- line stuff tends to be anywhere from 'acceptable' to 'quite good'
and MotorCraft has been sending me things made in China for years, so the
gloss has gone off that onion... (a 351 water pump? really???)

t
Yea I really considered getting a manual used to drive quite a few but I have hip/knee troubles on my left side might be ok now but didn't want to end up with something I couldn't drive eventually. Changing that speed sensor in the rear end cleared up the abs light alright was hoping I'd help with the hard shifts too but that's still there although it might be less it's hard to tell because it's intermittent also seems to trigger more with heavier throttle.

Old 06-30-2024, 11:52 AM
1Butcher
Laughing Gas
If it helps, I have had an intermittent harsh shifting problem in my E4OD since 2005. Ever since the shop rebuilt my transmission. I know it's not the transmission since I rebuilt a core transmission with everything changed out. The original transmission is sitting in the corner of my shop.

Quick Reply: How to tell if you have transmission codes?