6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

EGR removal effect on temperature

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024 | 05:06 PM
WXboy
|
Logistics Pro
EGR removal effect on temperature

With the EGR cooler completely removed, can I expect that the truck will reach operating temperature a little faster?

Old 06-21-2024 | 07:47 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
EGR heat is much higher than ambient air temps going into the intake and the EGR should heat the coolant faster so I would think the opposite of what you're suggesting.

Old 06-21-2024 | 08:51 PM
WXboy
|
Logistics Pro
Interesting. I was thinking with fewer coolers for coolant to pass through perhaps it would heat up faster, but I kind of see your view too.

Anybody have first hand experience that can chime in?

Old 06-22-2024 | 09:10 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable
Club FTE Silver Member
From this link here,

https://www.dieselhub.com/powerstrok...er-stroke.html

Cooling System

The 6.7L Power Stroke diesel utilizes two separate cooling systems, each with its own radiator, degas bottle, thermostats, and belt driven water pump. The primary (high temperature) cooling system radiator is mounted behind (closer to the engine) the secondary (low temperature) cooling system radiator as the secondary system operates at a significantly lower temperature than the primary and is thus given priority to airflow through the grille.

2011 - 2014 Model Year Cooling System Overview

The primary cooling system provides engine coolant to the engine block, cylinder heads, engine oil cooler, turbocharger, first half of the EGR cooler, and the heater core. A dual thermostat assembly with two separate thermostatic mechanisms that operate at different opening temperatures controls coolant flow through the primary cooling system. The first thermostatic mechanism opens at 194° F (90° C) while maximum coolant flow is achieved when the second mechanism opens at 201° F (94° C). Figure 1 below describes coolant flow in the primary cooling system circuit.

Figure 1 - coolant flow diagram, primary cooling system circuit for 2011 to 2014 model year engines
Image courtesy Ford Motor Company

The secondary cooling system provides coolant to the charge-air-cooler, fuel cooler, second half of the EGR cooler, and transmission oil cooler. The secondary radiator has two outlets, one on each side of the radiator, each controlled by a thermostat. The passenger side outlet is controlled by a 140° F thermostat and provides coolant to the EGR cooler and transmission oil cooler. Coolant that exits this outlet only circulates through the top half of the radiator. The driver side outlet, positioned closer to the bottom of the radiator, is controlled by a 113° F thermostat and provides coolant to the charge-air-cooler and diesel fuel cooler. Coolant that exits this outlet circulates through the top and bottom halves of the radiator and is this moderately lower in temperature than that exiting the passenger side outlet (the charge-air-cooler and fuel cooler require lower coolant temperatures than the EGR and transmission oil coolers). Figure 2 below describes coolant flow in the secondary cooling system circuit.

>>>>2015 - 2023 Model year Cooling System Overview<<<<

>>For the 2015 model year, the cooling system was modified so that both EGR coolant circuits were fed by the primary cooling system, reducing heat loads on the secondary cooling system and eliminating the dual thermostat radiator design.<< The 2020 6.7L Power Stroke update revised the cooling system yet again, this time removing the transmission cooler from the secondary cooling system and feeding it through the primary cooling system circuit. On 2020 and newer model year engines, the secondary cooling system only provides engine coolant to the air-to-water charge air cooler and the diesel fuel cooler

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)

Exhaust gas recirculation is the first step in reducing emissions of nitrous oxides (NOx). By cooling and reintroducing a metered amount of exhaust gases into the intake air charge, combustion temperatures are reduced and NOx emissions are decreased substantially. The EGR cooler is mounted above the passenger side valve cover and features a two stage cooling circuit. While early engines (2011 - 2014) relied on the primary cooling system for the first stage of cooling and the second stage on the secondary cooling system, all 2015 and newer model year engines cool both stages with the primary cooling system. A throttle body mounted to the mouth of the lower intake manifold is employed to promote EGR exhaust flow by creating a differential pressure between the intake and EGR systems.

It appears the change was to reduce the load on the secondary system so adding the EGR cooler to the primary system, a bigger capacity system, wasn't a big deal. If anything, I agree with Troy, that possibly would take longer for the engine to heat up NOT cooling off the EGR gases being passed to the intake. Another thing to consider, is they still add the Rapid supplementary heat systems to trucks going to colder climates, so it makes sense to think the engine will take as long or longer to heat up without the EGR coolant path in the circuit rather than quicker.

My two cents... but let's see what the deleted boys say...

Old 06-25-2024 | 08:39 AM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
these are things i wish i would think of keeping track. that being said, i've never noticed a difference. BUT its 630am and almost 90 already in phx so it's not like the truck ever cooled down completely anyways.

Old 06-25-2024 | 10:53 AM
WXboy
|
Logistics Pro
Yeah it won't be a problem here in Kentucky until winter either. Heat index has been over 100 here lately.

But in winter I already freeze to death in this truck. Takes it a solid 20 minutes on the highway to finally build cabin warmth. If the EGR removal makes it worse I'm in trouble.

Old 06-25-2024 | 08:07 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by WXboy
Yeah it won't be a problem here in Kentucky until winter either. Heat index has been over 100 here lately.

But in winter I already freeze to death in this truck. Takes it a solid 20 minutes on the highway to finally build cabin warmth. If the EGR removal makes it worse I'm in trouble.
Freeze to death? In Kentucky?? What's the coldest it's gotten? I know the Arctic cold air moves down south at times, but what's cold to a southern guy???

The following 2 users liked this post by Overkill2:
Old 06-25-2024 | 11:02 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Freeze to death? In Kentucky?? What's the coldest it's gotten? I know the Arctic cold air moves down south at times, but what's cold to a southern guy???
I don't think Kentucky is considered a southern state.

Old 06-26-2024 | 04:20 AM
Euroman
Senior User
Club FTE Gold Member

That’s too long, you sure the thermostats are ok?

Old 06-26-2024 | 06:51 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by FishOnOne
I don't think Kentucky is considered a southern state.
Ok okay... how about this... southern of us Yankees... where it doesn't get AS cold as those territories in the great white north...

Old 06-26-2024 | 06:59 AM
WXboy
|
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Overkill2
-37F

This past winter was El Nino warmth. We only got down to -7F

The following 2 users liked this post by WXboy:
Old 06-26-2024 | 06:59 AM
WXboy
|
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Euroman
That’s too long, you sure the thermostats are ok?
Yep. Installed brand new Motorcraft OE t-stat just to be sure last winter. Zero change.

Old 06-26-2024 | 08:22 AM
Strider250
Tuned
Do you have a block heater? I have mine on a timer to go in 3 hours before I use the truck and the coolant temp is around 70 in the winter and the truck is warm enough after driving for 5 - 10 minutes.

Old 06-26-2024 | 09:01 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable
Club FTE Silver Member
I believe he does not have the supplemental heat option in his truck, from past comments, as that work's really well. We didn't real cold last year, I don't even think close to zero unless I'm getting too old to remember, but I did not plug my truck in once last year...

Heat comes fairly quickly with the supplemental cab heat option... when the truck is plugged in, I don't know if the supplemental heat aids an already prewarmed truck, but it's blowing hot enough to start warming the windshield when first started on defrost...

Old 06-26-2024 | 09:04 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable
Club FTE Silver Member
-37F

This past winter was El Nino warmth. We only got down to -7F
Busting your chops...

When it's in the 40s here and up, I usually just wear a hoody... Fall or spring in the 50s, I'll wear shorts still...

My older son played hockey years back and one of the players dad's always wore just a hoody and shorts in winter...

Quick Reply: EGR removal effect on temperature