N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

April 2024 all topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 11:06 AM
Tim Young
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 4,445 Likes on 1,761 Posts
Here are my boots of choice! I wear mostly boots. I have a pair of slip-on shoes I wear once in a while, but I really don't have dress up shoes.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:06 AM
Tim Young
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 4,445 Likes on 1,761 Posts
Jim, Nice to see your truck out and about.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:19 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 155 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Young
Jim, Nice to see your truck out and about.
Me too. After they replace the bumper and charge the AC system, they will never see my truck again, except as it passes by on the way home.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-01-2024, 10:00 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Received 312 Likes on 272 Posts
Those are very nice Danner boots. I love the "stitch down" construction. You can rebuild that style of boot. Those could last forever. Danner is one of the few shoemakers that will rebuild your boots. That's something that I want when I buy shoes. I want shoes that can be rebuilt.

I want all of my footwear to support my ankles. Since I don't wear "shoes" anymore. I have "dress boots". These are an old style which I've had for a long time. They still make them and sell them.

Originally Posted by Tim Young
Here are my boots of choice! I wear mostly boots. I have a pair of slip-on shoes I wear once in a while, but I really don't have dress up shoes.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:09 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Me too. After they replace the bumper and charge the AC system, they will never see my truck again, except as it passes by on the way home.

Jim

You can go there for a tail light lamp to be changed. A 5 minute job which could take them 3 weeks. Then they will lose your wipers and your fuzzy dice. And the owner's wife will give you a chicken nugget to eat.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:50 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
I've got no problem with "factory seconds". If I can save a buck, then I will do it. I bought these as factory seconds. The bottom of the boot is stamped "F2". Nobody sees that.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:55 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I doubt I would go there for a taillight. But I would have gone there for used tires in the future. But not after the lost battery excuse...

Jim

Old 05-02-2024, 03:55 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 123 Likes on 71 Posts
I just had a couple of plumbers working on my place for a day and a half. The critical issue was the drain line from my laundry room to the main drain line was plugging up. They had to install an additional clean out and get the jetter out to blast through the clog. The jetter was on it's own trailer! My house is a 60 year old ranch style with an ADU. The ADU pumps sewage up the hill through 2" ABS, around my house, up into the crawl space, and along the full length of the house to the septic tank. The line for the washer is parallel to that long line and they all join together before hitting the tank. I also had them put all new angle stops, a new sink and faucet in the laundry room, a new faucet in the master bath, and a brand new throne! I felt like the king of Siam sitting on it this morning!

The only thing they couldn't seem to fix is some water hammer when I turn on the water in the master bath sink or shower. He tried strapping the pipes down but to no avail. I'm trying to avoid cutting into the sheetrock, but I'm fearing that might be required. Two guys at $180/hr each was starting to get old so I told them I'd explore other options for the water hammer.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:39 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel

The critical issue was the drain line from my laundry room to the main drain line was plugging up. They had to install an additional clean out and get the jetter out to blast through the clog. The jetter was on it's own trailer!

The line going uphill is a problem. Water doesn't go well against gravity. That washer probably sends lint into the line.

Years ago, I bought one of those sewer jet lines that hooks up to a pressure washer. Amazing how well something like that could work. Better than my snake. Good enough for a guy like me who lives in The City. I am guessing that in your situation, a 100' line on a pressure washer may not do the job. Huge difference between "homeowner" tools and "professional" tools. Something you might want to think about.

a brand new throne! I felt like the king of Siam sitting on it this morning!

I don't believe it. Pics, or it didn't happen. We all want to see you sitting on that throne.

only thing they couldn't seem to fix is some water hammer

Try draining the system and re-pressurizing.

​​​​​​​

Old 05-02-2024, 10:22 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Passed the CCW retest. I am now a happy camper! Good for another two years. God is good!

Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by Nighteyez:
Old 05-03-2024, 01:21 AM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
O'Reilly emailed a $5 coupon. Nothing at O'Reilly's is $5. Not even a little tree to make my car smell nice. I wonder if an air freshener will work hanging off the handlebar of my motorcycle. The only thing that I can get there with my $5 off coupon is chewing gum.

Jim, I'm happy that you passed your exam. Now you can celebrate.

Old 05-03-2024, 07:56 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

My caregiver is buying me KFC today. Perfect timing. I don't get coupons from O'Reilly. However, I do get 10% off everything that is not already on sale due to my veteran discount. My rent went up again this month. It went up once back in January which wiped out my cost-of-living increase, and now, because the VA ended the shelter plus care program, I was forced to switch to the original section 8. That made for a rate adjustment of $9. So, now I am paying $364. Doesn't sound like much, but with the ACP program not being funded anymore either, my cable/internet bill would have gone up too, but I was able switch to their "Internet essentials plus" plan and saved me $10. So, I am a dollar ahead. Until something else goes up. The Sheriff's fee for renewal was $85.01 so that is coming out of this month's check. Being on a fixed income sucks sometimes. Okay, it sucks all the time, but especially when prices keep going up faster than my income. And now that I have the truck back from the shop, I will have to keep some money aside for gas.

Jim

Old 05-03-2024, 09:12 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

This is the jetter they used. Apparently the spec is 18 GPM at 3000 PSI. This picture gives you some idea of the elevation change on the property. The ADU septic line does indeed head uphill about 20 feet, but there's a pretty powerful pump pushing it so that has never been a problem. It's the separate laundry room line that is the problem, and having a dog with long hair a lot of the time doesn't help since I wash my comforter and sheets that he sheds on. I do have a little screen filter that zip ties on the washer outlet that catches a lot of lint.

As for the water hammer, I've tried everything the Google says at this point. The pipes are just not secure enough.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:06 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 239 Likes on 195 Posts
You can fix the water hammer with an arrestor. Home Depot sells a pretty cheap one, but there are many examples, depending on the severity of the issue.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plum...0DrkpQCPKmLI04

Old 05-03-2024, 10:44 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Thanks, but I have four of those arresters in the system at the moment. No joy. I think the pipes are just loose in an area within the wall that the plumber couldn't get to. He strapped the pipes where he could without pulling sheetrock. Trust me when I say I've tried everything the Google has to offer on the subject.

Quick Reply: April 2024 all topic thread