Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anyone running a catch can on their 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024 | 12:03 PM
wwracer
|
5th Wheeling
Anyone running a catch can on their 7.3

After changing boots on my 7.3 power stroke, I realize there has to be a better way to control oil entering the intake system via the CCV. I was thinking about adding a quality catch can to my list of projects this summer. Seems like there would be a way to use it as part of a "loop" system, as having the hose exit the ccv enter the can , depositing the excess oil, and then re-entering the intake. I've looked at a few homemade systems on google, but I really don't want to just drop a hose to the bottom of the chassis. Any thoughts?

Old 02-05-2024 | 09:30 PM
Silverhorn
5th Wheeling
Currently Running catch can and it’s not a perfect solution

Problem is that soooo much oil comes out of that dog house it now slobbers one the front of my battery :/ it saturated the breather filter in the first few days. I mean I ran about a yard of tubing before even getting to the catch can.

I don’t know what to do with this system. Perhaps running down to the frame would be fine. Willing to entertain discussion and try fixes suggested. But to be clear a hose going back to the intake will still let a lot of oil in it. I plugged up the breather return to the intake.

Old 02-05-2024 | 09:34 PM
John in OkieLand
Cargo Master
just run a hose down under the block, and let 'er go, just like IH intended for it to be.

Old 02-05-2024 | 10:12 PM
Tpayne621
Cargo Master
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Mines been running to the intake like it was designed for 25 years now and 400k miles and still works fine.

Old 02-06-2024 | 04:05 AM
Alexis Garcia
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by wwracer
After changing boots on my 7.3 power stroke, I realize there has to be a better way to control oil entering the intake system via the CCV. I was thinking about adding a quality catch can to my list of projects this summer. Seems like there would be a way to use it as part of a "loop" system, as having the hose exit the ccv enter the can , depositing the excess oil, and then re-entering the intake. I've looked at a few homemade systems on google, but I really don't want to just drop a hose to the bottom of the chassis. Any thoughts?
Amazon Catch Can, has been good for me. Have it just running down the block now

Old 02-06-2024 | 06:01 AM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Silverhorn

Problem is that soooo much oil comes out of that dog house it now slobbers one the front of my battery :/ it saturated the breather filter in the first few days. I mean I ran about a yard of tubing before even getting to the catch can.

I don’t know what to do with this system. Perhaps running down to the frame would be fine. Willing to entertain discussion and try fixes suggested. But to be clear a hose going back to the intake will still let a lot of oil in it. I plugged up the breather return to the intake.
This sounds excessive. There shouldn't be as much oil as you describe escaping through the CCV. Could have an injector o ring misting under the valve cover, or turbo seal bleeding behind the compressor wheel, or something I don't know. Shouldn't have that much buildup in just a few days.

Old 02-06-2024 | 09:15 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
I put my CCV back to stock and live with the oily boots. Was constantly finding black oil dots all over the front of my 5th wheel RV and I decided that I would rather clean the boots than my trailer.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-06-2024 | 02:25 PM
INFRNL
Laughing Gas
I think I agree with the others on put it back to stock and just wash the engine bay more often.

I planned to do the catch can years ago but always feared issues/ damage from them getting blocked up. towards the end of last year. I ran my line over the hydroboost and straight down to atmosphere. It can be messier than just dealing with sweating boots. So when the weather gets better; I will run it back into the factory intake piece.

another option some used to do was to put a bung into the exhaust and plumb the ccv to the bung and let it burn off through the exhaust....that might be the best solution besides the factory design

Old 02-06-2024 | 02:59 PM
F0rdc0wb0y
Fleet Mechanic
Club FTE Gold Member
Dump all mine to the atmosphere via a t444e road draft tube that bolts to the back of the driver side head. Clean engine all the time.

Old 02-07-2024 | 12:05 PM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
I debated doing this CCV mod but decided not to while having the engine apart for other maintenance/modifications. In the process I installed new 5 layer CAC boots and s.s. clamps. I don't expect these to leak oil like the oem boots...

Old 02-07-2024 | 07:10 PM
Tpayne621
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bwguardian
I debated doing this CCV mod but decided not to while having the engine apart for other maintenance/modifications. In the process I installed new 5 layer CAC boots and s.s. clamps. I don't expect these to leak oil like the oem boots...
I've had riff raff boots on mine for probably 7 years now with stock clamps and don't get any oil seepage out of the boots. Sure there is oil on inside if you take one off but none of it seeps out like it will with factory boots.

Old 02-07-2024 | 08:09 PM
INFRNL
Laughing Gas
I have RR boots as well, but they still don't stay dry; there eventually get a layer of mist...not sure how to word it. Definitely not like stock but also not as dry as venting CCV somewhere else. I also try to keep my engine bay clean; so either way it's a non issue for me

Old 02-09-2024 | 04:59 PM
PriusLover
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by wwracer
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...v4500-mod.html <-This is what I'll be doing. Be forewarned it's not he cheap way (unless you get lucky on ebay or find one second hand). The lack of oily boots is a positive, but I've a small suspicion that getting rid of the soot laden oil might be beneficial for intake valve life as well.

I have a T444E draft tube I'll be selling if you want to vent to atmosphere*, but our trucks smell bad enough as it is and this sure wouldn't do it any favors.

*I see it mentioned a lot that this is "what International intended"... the engine was designed with Ford as the primary client in mind with "beyond pickup" duty as an additional application for other clients. Might as well say International never intended the engine to rev over 2,600 RPM.

Old 02-09-2024 | 06:27 PM
callforfire
More Turbo
I doubt there is anything under my hood "as international intended."

I did run a mann+hummel pro vent 200 for a while, and it worked fine for keeping the boots dry. I took it off for something and haven't gotten around to re-installing it.

Old 02-09-2024 | 06:31 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master
Club FTE Silver Member
I've been running a closed system with a catch can on the frame rail that I made out of ABS. It's been there at least 10 years with no issues, I drain an ounce or 2 out at oil change time. (The red Baldwin fuel filter has been replaced with the Racor 120)

Quick Reply: Anyone running a catch can on their 7.3