2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

6.8 v 7.3 XL-STX vs XLT

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 02:12 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 863 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wd6.7L
Absolutely, you can option an XLT to be near Lariat level. You can also add the Sport pkg to an XLT, then making it look nearly the same as the STX...you can also add the 7.3l to the XL...but, none of that applies to the 2 built trucks the OP is considering. That XLT is very light on the options. I'm not sure what an XL/STX lacks compared to the standard features of an XLT.
right and I wasn’t disagreeing. I guess I was just making a sidenote in a sense.

the XL-STX truck I saw had no center console, smaller screen, cheaper (looking) trim on the interior panels etc.

I think the XLT can be some good bang for the buck on the newer trucks and you can get a really nice truck. Not sure how far you can go with the XL though.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:44 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 3,040 Likes on 1,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Rwhjr
right and I wasn’t disagreeing. I guess I was just making a sidenote in a sense.

the XL-STX truck I saw had no center console, smaller screen, cheaper (looking) trim on the interior panels etc.

I think the XLT can be some good bang for the buck on the newer trucks and you can get a really nice truck. Not sure how far you can go with the XL though.
You can’t get the center console in a XL (not even the STX). The smaller screen in the XL is still the standard 8” screen, which is the same that comes in the XLT.

A 6.8 STX and a base 7.3 XLT are very close in price, but the XLT won’t have LED headlights, 360 cameras, and a few other things that the STX comes with.

I’ve been building a bunch of them on Fords site, because I’m thinking about ordering one. I really want the STX for the LEDs, but I really want the XLT for the center console.

The cable is still out at the house (TV & internet)

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-20-2023, 02:46 PM
IngoB
Trailering
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by number9xd
Will it be your truck or her truck?
She'll drive it more. It'll haul the toys to the dunes and etc. but she works from home most days and I have a 30 mile commute so I'll be driving the 4-banger to work. I wanted to look at Rams, as well but she said she won't tolerate the electronic dial to put it in gear 😆.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:50 PM
IngoB
Trailering
Originally Posted by 4wd6.7L
Absolutely, you can option an XLT to be near Lariat level. You can also add the Sport pkg to an XLT, then making it look nearly the same as the STX...you can also add the 7.3l to the XL...but, none of that applies to the 2 built trucks the OP is considering. That XLT is very light on the options. I'm not sure what an XL/STX lacks compared to the standard features of an XLT.
I looked on the Ford site and couldn't find an option to add the sport package to the XLT but I may have just missed it. We need the bench seat in front so I don't care about consoles or Lariat-like luxury. I will be adding Katzkin or equivalent leather covers to the seats, though.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:53 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
First pic is what’s included in the STX package. Second pic is standard features of the base XLT.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:57 PM
IngoB
Trailering
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
You can’t get the center console in a XL (not even the STX). The smaller screen in the XL is still the standard 8” screen, which is the same that comes in the XLT.

A 6.8 STX and a base 7.3 XLT are very close in price, but the XLT won’t have LED headlights, 360 cameras, and a few other things that the STX comes with.

I’ve been building a bunch of them on Fords site, because I’m thinking about ordering one. I really want the STX for the LEDs, but I really want the XLT for the center console.

The cable is still out at the house (TV & internet)
Serious question: What's so great about the center console?

Old 08-20-2023, 03:09 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by IngoB
So, a little backstory. My 2018 XLT came with the jump seat because I ordered it with the manual T-case shifter. Well, the dealer screwed up my order and my truck came in with the electronic T-case. No shifter in floor. So I really liked the look of the console. Makes the truck look classier. So I bought a console and swapped it into my truck. It is a more comfortable arm rest, more storage, more cup holders, and like I said…I love the looks of it over the jump seat. This is all IMO of course.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:15 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
have you not driven both to understand the benefit of the center console?

I’ve had both and like the functionality much better in a center console truck for day to day use.

only thing nice about trucks without it is if you do have to fit that one extra person in a pinch then you can. But it's not a very comfortable seat to have and not something inside more than 2 or 3 times in previous trucks. Just good more for rare occurrences in my experience.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:31 PM
IngoB
Trailering
have you not driven both to understand the benefit of the center console?

I’ve had both and like the functionality much better in a center console truck for day to day use.

only thing nice about trucks without it is if you do have to fit that one extra person in a pinch then you can. But it's not a very comfortable seat to have and not something inside more than 2 or 3 times in previous trucks. Just good more for rare occurrences in my experience.
I have not owned one with the console. My buddies F-150 had it. It just seems like there's less storage and less cup holders. We definitely will use the middle seat a lot though with our kids and their dozens of cousins we tend to tote around.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:34 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
I have not owned one with the console. My buddies F-150 had it. It just seems like there's less storage and less cup holders. We definitely will use the middle seat a lot though with our kids and their dozens of cousins we tend to tote around.
Sounds like a no-brainer for you then. The console is an option on the XLT anyways. It comes standard with the jump seat.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
the f150 console sucks in comparison.

the fact they put the shifter there makes too much wasted space

SD center console is much more useful

with the slider you can create up to 6 cup holders with the console version. How many drinks you toting around man?? I think in total I have up to 10 cup holders front and back Lol

Old 08-20-2023, 03:41 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
the f150 console sucks in comparison.

the fact they put the shifter there makes too much wasted space

SD center console is much more useful

with the slider you can create up to 6 cup holders with the console version. How many drinks you toting around man?? I think in total I have up to 10 cup holders front and back Lol
The console shifter is amazing! I even threw one in my SD!

Old 08-20-2023, 03:43 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
The console shifter is amazing! I even threw one in my SD!
Different strokes for different folks but I like the console space better

The following 2 users liked this post by Rwhjr:
Old 08-20-2023, 03:56 PM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,673 Posts
There actually is more storage space and more cup holder options with the console. For the rear passengers the console has hvac vents and it might be trim determined, but also has power ports. It's my opinion that the console is a better look too. You have the one and really only reason I can think of to not want the console, the need to carry an additional passenger up front.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:02 PM
Bugzilla46310
Fleet Mechanic
Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts
For my driving the STX is the least of the worries unless there are some visual changes it offers that you like. Took those stickers off my 2023 first thing. My 2000 had the V10 and it would have been in my 2016 if it was offered. My 2023 was on the lot but 90% of what I would have ordered so I got it. I loved the V10, but I think the 7.3 Godzilla has it beat. Note I only have 1500 miles on the 2023 and comparing it to the V10 that was in my 2000. My 2000 also had a manual transmission. As for mileage, if you are worried about that get a 150 or Prius.

Quick Reply: 6.8 v 7.3 XL-STX vs XLT