2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Steering Column "Clicking" Noise when Cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 05:23 AM
SuperdutyHogsontheRoad
Cross-Country
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Steering Column "Clicking" Noise when Cold

Have a 2021 Ford F350 "godzilla" with only 10k miles on it. Truck has encountered a "clicking noise like the sound of bristles on a comb" when temps are below 32 degrees when steering left to right and right to left. Slower speed turns seems to pronounce issue. Ford Service has replaced the clock spring 3x and the noise still persists. When Spring/Summer temps come the noise goes away. Strange... Ford Service has cleaned up any rotating parts under steering wheel + lubed anything necessary.

Just a mystery why it keeps making this sound ONLY when its cold out. Posting here to see if anyone else in colder temps has noticed same problem and if they had a permanent fix.

I am starting to get use to the noise as 3 trips to the dealer with NO fix is getting to be a waste of time now.

This noise continued this past winter so I sent Service Manager another note to see if there were any updates from Ford. If not, I'll live with it...

Old 03-22-2023, 05:40 AM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 805 Likes on 490 Posts
Odd thing is I’ve had an explorer and super duty do it. It’s probably noise from the clockspring.

ford apparently can’t build a clockspring.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:51 AM
SuperdutyHogsontheRoad
Cross-Country
Yeah I've owned various Ford trucks/cars over the years and this is the first about clock spring noise.

My wifes 2020 Ford Explorer doesn't do it but my 2021 Ford F350 does.

I'm sure the clock spring design may be different but going through 4 clock springs in my truck and issue still persists is crazy.

The Service Department acknowledges this issue but can't fix with OEM parts I guess. I captured numerous you tube videos of the issue for proof. lol.

May just have to ignore and live with it.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:42 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,475 Likes on 1,490 Posts
It’s the clock spring. I took mine in and it was changed out at 15k miles. Same deal, when it was below freezing I would hear the noise when turning the steering wheel. It’s been fine ever since.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:54 AM
Gunny19
Mountain Pass
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
I had a 2017 that did this, and it turned out to be the steering position sensor. Something to look into?

Old 03-23-2023, 06:05 AM
Grass Lake Ron
Cargo Master
Received 1,006 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperdutyHogsontheRoad
Yeah I've owned various Ford trucks/cars over the years and this is the first about clock spring noise.

My wifes 2020 Ford Explorer doesn't do it but my 2021 Ford F350 does.

I'm sure the clock spring design may be different but going through 4 clock springs in my truck and issue still persists is crazy.

The Service Department acknowledges this issue but can't fix with OEM parts I guess. I captured numerous you tube videos of the issue for proof. lol.

May just have to ignore and live with it.
Let me guess, Seymour Ford in Jackson, Michigan? That's where I took mine for the same issue, video taped and all.... They won't touch it.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:55 AM
SuperdutyHogsontheRoad
Cross-Country
No updates yet. Sent note to service manager + general manager to see if there were any Ford updates since I brought it in last 2022. This year I decided to ignore it as like i said they changed the clock spring 3x and it still continues to click on days when temps are below freezing. Very strange occurance. Now that we are heading into spring and summer when temps are above freezing the noise won't be there. If I ever hear back from Servicing Dealer I will post updates. Located in Cleveland Ohio area....

Old 03-27-2023, 08:32 AM
Ford Motor Company
FordPro
Received 709 Likes on 586 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperdutyHogsontheRoad
No updates yet. Sent note to service manager + general manager to see if there were any Ford updates since I brought it in last 2022. This year I decided to ignore it as like i said they changed the clock spring 3x and it still continues to click on days when temps are below freezing. Very strange occurance. Now that we are heading into spring and summer when temps are above freezing the noise won't be there. If I ever hear back from Servicing Dealer I will post updates. Located in Cleveland Ohio area....
Hello there! I'd like to look into this for you on my end. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership information at your earliest convenience to get started.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:55 AM
SuperdutyHogsontheRoad
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Ford Motor Company
Hello there! I'd like to look into this for you on my end. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership information at your earliest convenience to get started.
PM Sent with requested info including contact info. Thank You for taking the time to look into this....

Old 04-02-2023, 01:28 PM
ngarider
Trailering
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 2 - 2020's, a 6.7 and a 6.2, both regular steering. Both do it when cold. Clockspring replaced, no change. My 2022 doesn't do it, it has adaptive steering.

Old 04-02-2023, 02:46 PM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,475 Likes on 1,490 Posts
For those that have had them replaced before, can you be sure they are actually replacing them? Mine did this exact thing and I took it in. They replaced it and it’s not been back. Of course I don’t know that they for sure replaced mine, but that’s what the paperwork stated and it something they did fixed it. I guess as long as the buttons on the steering wheel still work though it should be good.

Old 04-02-2023, 07:03 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts
My 2019 has made noise when it's cold since the first winter. My 2013 did the same thing for years and never got around to replacing the clock spring, tried to get it done under warranty but the dealer said they didn't notice any noise (imagine that).

Old 04-04-2023, 04:35 AM
SuperdutyHogsontheRoad
Cross-Country
Now that spring/summer temps are returning (+35 degrees) I won't have any issues till fall of 2023 when temps dip below freezing. Very odd behavior and will see what Ford comes up with. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing issue. I'm assuming is just a bad batch of clock springs being made..

Old 04-19-2023, 04:01 AM
SuperdutyHogsontheRoad
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Ford Motor Company
Hello, wondering how long it takes for someone to reach out regarding this issue. All info sent PM as instructed. We had a few days were temps dropped into the 30s this week and of course the noise came back. May be a lost cause and not worth pursuing.

Old 04-22-2023, 06:11 AM
Garbageman 134
Tuned
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts
Glad to read I am not the only person having this issue.

Quick Reply: Steering Column "Clicking" Noise when Cold