Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A slug when cold…

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2023 | 10:21 AM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
A slug when cold…

Hey fellas! Quick question for ya. My E99 has been giving me fits when the engine is cold. It has a complete lack of power and it won’t get out if its own way until the truck reaches operating temp. Once up to temp it runs great. I thought it was just cold oil and cold outside temps but it’s been getting worse.

I deleted the EBPV so I know that’s not the issue… I’m running 5w-40 Rotella. Fuel filter has been changed recently. Truck has 250k with unknown miles on the injectors/HPOP. Starts fine too no issues there.

I do have Forscan but I’m not that great at using it. What would I need to watch if I did hook up to it?

Thanks for any tips or advise,

Andrew

Here’s a pic of Tinky my purple Superduty haha

Old 03-18-2023 | 11:19 AM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
If you've got Forscan bring up your Intake Air Temp(IAT) PID as well and as the MAT manifold air temp and see if they jive with ambient temps. Does your E99 still have the factory CAT? Not sure how it would be tied in w/ colder temps but just a thought.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-18-2023 | 12:04 PM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
Originally Posted by udsuth78
Does your E99 still have the factory CAT?
No it’s gone. It has a 4” turbo back exhaust minus the cat and muffler. Thanks for the help I’ll get Forscan going and see what I can find

Old 03-18-2023 | 02:24 PM
Bitterroot Diesel
Former Vendor
My vote is injectors.

Old 03-18-2023 | 07:35 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Bitterroot Diesel
My vote is injectors.
Of course. Such a surprise. Because,

Originally Posted by Bitterroot Diesel
Everyone needs injectors.

Old 03-18-2023 | 07:36 PM
Bitterroot Diesel
Former Vendor
And don't forget, classic symptoms.

Old 03-18-2023 | 07:51 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
The following 2 users liked this post by Wes444:
Old 03-18-2023 | 07:52 PM
Bitterroot Diesel
Former Vendor
Love it! 😂

Old 03-18-2023 | 08:08 PM
Kintla
Tuned
You said it starts fine, though how much smoking do you get on cold start? You could pull valve covers and see how much oil the injectors are moving. Looks like you've got a couple gauges installed, is one of them a boost gauge? Wondering if you have leaking exhaust robbing turbo that gets better with a warm engine?

I don't know how much power my e99 makes when cold cause I baby the $h1t out of it till it's warmed up...😀

Old 03-18-2023 | 11:25 PM
S-squatch
Tuned
Not going to be much help, but please diagnose before shooting the parts cannon at injectors...

Old 03-19-2023 | 06:18 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Is the MAP sensor hose sagging? I’ve heard of oil blocking the hose causing inaccurate MAP readings.

Does it suddenly run good like flipping a switch or just get slowly better as the engine warms?

I would recommend data logging with FORScan and charting the results. Seeing it this way may help shed some light on the root cause.

Old 03-19-2023 | 07:01 AM
BrandonDIS
3rd Gear
Where is the place where you took photos? The scenery here is simply beautiful

Old 03-19-2023 | 07:46 AM
Sous
FTE Leadership Emeritus
Veteran: Air Force
FTE Emeritus
Andrew, sorry to hear about your truck running poorly when it is cold. In addition to what the others have said or asked, I'm going to link the FORScan Q&A below. It will give you some pointers on which PID's to use like EBP_A instead of EBP_V and units of measure like PSI instead of kPa.

Get a data log or two of when the truck is running poorly and when it is good for comparison. Do your best to answer the questions above and we will do our best to get it running right.

Link: FORScan + FORScan Lite: Class Tutorial Q&A

Lastly, I am 90% certain that the PCM reduces power output a bit based on the operating temperature being cold. I don't have a quote from a reputable source to link or any documentation validating this, but seem to recall that cold operation parameter.

Old 03-19-2023 | 09:11 AM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
Thanks for taking the time to reply fellas I appreciate it.

Pics were taken near my home in northern Utah. I love it here.

Anyhoo as far as smoking she doesn’t puff much when cold. Just the average smoke I’d say from cold cylinder temps. It’s been in the teens and twenties here at night.

I try to baby it when cold and give it time to warm up a bit before takeoff but I’m not far from a 45-55mph highway so I have to get up to speed fairly quick.

I’ll check the map hose for sagging today and also try to get Forscan going.

It could be due for injectors I suppose. I have no idea the mileage/hours on the ones in there. I did injector cups last year (what a pain!) I prob should have swapped them out when they were pulled.

I hope I answered everyone’s questions. After coffee time I’m gonna try to do a little digging and see what I find. It’s not my daily driver so I’m not in a huge hurry to get it sorted. Thanks again,

Andrew

Old 03-19-2023 | 09:19 AM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
Oh and it progressively gets better the warmer it gets on the temp gauge. Once up to temp she has no issues.

I do have gauges—boost and pyrometer. Boost is great I had a plenum leak a couple years back so I built a leak detector. No leaks that I’m aware of but it struggles to build boost when cold. No black smoke either when I try to accelerate. That said I do not have bellowed up-pipes on the truck. My up-pipes don’t appear to have soot on them but it’s hard to tell as you know. I do have some nice up pipes for it sitting on the shelf I just haven’t worked up the courage to install them lol!

Quick Reply: A slug when cold…