2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

A different 6.7 vs 7.3 = what's the best daily driver unloaded?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022 | 09:47 AM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by acdii
Funny thing is, when I towed up the IKE with the 3.5 EB with a travel trailer, it never went over 3500 RPM. That was one strong SOB. For me its listening to that high running engine for whatever time it takes climbing that can get annoying, not the fact it is running so fast.
So when and where does this "high running" occur? I live at 8000 feet and travel over 10k most days. Empty my truck climbs the pass at 10 over turning 2100 rpm and it is really quiet... Pulling a heavy trailer might take 4000 rpm but even then, it is still quieter than the diesel running half that. Mine doesn't really make any engine racket until 4500 rpm+ and at that point you are pulling a max rated load up a long grade and pushing it. Point is, the gas engines are never really loud or the least bit intrusive. Pretty ironic that diesel guys now want to say their engines are the quieter choice...

I daily my 7.3 truck and it makes a great "car". It is quick on its feet for such a beast, I seriously doubt anybody but the dedicated 16k+ lb tower would ever be the least bit disappointed in the 7.3 gas.

Old 09-10-2022 | 09:54 AM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
The factory baffled intake and resonated/muffled exhaust on the gasoline trucks really keeps them quiet. The turbo on my 6.7 was always louder than my gasoline trucks. My 6.0 and 7.3, well they were just loud in factory fashion no matter what.

Old 09-10-2022 | 09:58 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by twobelugas
yes, the 20-22 7.3 F250s are the closest I have seen super duty has gotten to half ton like ride, and still able to haul close to 3000 lbs. on my route home there are some rather large imperfections in the road and while you won’t confuse it for a Town Car, my 7.3 CCLB 4wd just kind of glides over the section with some muted vertical movements while my previous 3/4 ton trucks would bounce pretty badly.
Curious to what changes were made to the 20+ trucks to make them ride smoother. We have a '17 Super Duty with a 6.2 and my '12 Super Duty with 6.7 rides smoother. My opinion on why is the 6.7 with the extra weight is the reason why it's smoother.

Edit: I just remembered Ford dropped the ride height on the 20+ trucks so perhaps that's what improved the ride. Ford maybe changed the spring rates?

Old 09-10-2022 | 06:53 PM
KU4OJ
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by zimm
I've read and watched videos to death on the 6.7 vs 7.3 for my next F350 Tremor. For anyone who's driven both (I won't have the opportunity to), based on driving unloaded- what's the better driving experience?
To add fuel to the fire (you pick, gas or diesel ) for the best driving experience drop the 4x4 and go 2WD. My gas 7.3L truck is my daily driver now that I went back to work. Drives and rides like an F-150 albeit a rather large f-150. If you want it to, it will push you back into your seat. It will pass anything that really needs to be passed. I have driven it for a year now with $0.00 maintenance cost. (the one oil change was free at the dealer.)

It was mentioned use the right tool for the job. I don't need diesel or 4x4, but fully understand a lot of people do, perhaps even the majority of SD owners. But I don't. I got what my needs dictate and so should you.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-10-2022 | 10:08 PM
acdii
Lead Driver
I have a perfect decision maker for you. I actually filled my tank here today, thankfully using OpenRoads, $4.35 a gallon.

Thats right, $2.01 difference between Diesel and gas.

BTW, the OpenRoads TSD saved me $25.

The following 2 users liked this post by acdii:
Old 09-11-2022 | 03:49 AM
vics2022platinum
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by zimm
Great fellas, thanks for the confidence boost. I have my order in for a F350 Tremor 7.3 and I have one chance to change it when the '23 order bank opens up next month. I'm going to leave it as the 7.3 and stop worrying about it.

I'm not too worried about MPG and seeing that folks get 12 is fine with me. My Jeep gets 13 on a good day and my F150 3.5 was only getting 14 after I leveled it, cut the air dam, and put 34" tall tires on it. It's amazing to think I can get about the same with a 7000 pound truck riding on 1 ton hardware and 35's.
Yeah well im getting 17.5 mpg with my 2022 6.7 liter diesel I drive mine around town mostly and the diesel engine has alot more power and performance I had a 2020 7.3 liter Godzilla and compared to the diesel it felt very slow and the fuel mileage was terrible about 10 mpg around town and that was when the gas was only 2.20 a gallon now its double that price!

Old 09-11-2022 | 04:08 AM
d7velo1
More Turbo
Originally Posted by vics2022platinum
Yeah well im getting 17.5 mpg with my 2022 6.7 liter diesel I drive mine around town mostly and the diesel engine has alot more power and performance I had a 2020 7.3 liter Godzilla and compared to the diesel it felt very slow and the fuel mileage was terrible about 10 mpg around town and that was when the gas was only 2.20 a gallon now its double that price!

7.3L: many reporting ~15 mpg city/hwy.
​​​6.7L: many reporting ~ 18 mpg city/hwy...or ~ +20% better fuel economy.

Fuel prices are regional. In my area:
87 octane is currently $2.95/gallon.
Diesel is currently $4.38/gallon...or +48% more.
Don't forget DEF cost w/ diesel (8gal every 3000miles?)

Old 09-11-2022 | 07:47 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by d7velo1
7.3L: many reporting ~15 mpg city/hwy.
​​​6.7L: many reporting ~ 18 mpg city/hwy...or ~ +20% better fuel economy.

Fuel prices are regional. In my area:
87 octane is currently $2.95/gallon.
Diesel is currently $4.38/gallon...or +48% more.
Don't forget DEF cost w/ diesel (8gal every 3000miles?)
My real numbers for my diesel look different... I have kept up with every single drop of fuel I put in my truck since I picked it up (Spreadsheet). I always fill the tank all the way up so I can hand calculate the actual mpg's (don't ever trust the Lie-O-Meter, which I would say many do). Mine are never anywhere close to what's listed for even the 7.3L for city. In the city, I am probably averaging 11-13mpg with my 6.7. Once I hit the highway, especially unloaded, it's a different story. My highest mpg on a single tank has been 20.54 mpg's. But, I would guesstimate my average city mpg are 11-13 mpg, and my highway are 18+ up to probably around 21. But what's really interesting is that over the life of my truck, whether it's been city or highway, loaded or unloaded, my complete total average is only 13.97 mpg. This has been just under a years time, over 13,000 miles, around 923 gallons of diesel (not counting the tank that the dealer filled up) at an average cost of $4.41/gallon. I have filled my truck 51 times, and spent a total of $4,047.69. That's $0.31/mile. (Had diesel stayed even at $2.79/gallon like the very first time I filled up, that would have been cut back to $2,583 total, or $0.20/mile!)

And if I remember correctly, over this entire time I have added 16 gallons of DEF... it's so inexpensive and used so little it's not even worth keeping up with the cost of it in my case. But doing the math, it looks like 8 gallons has gotten me about 6500 miles, so quite a bit more than the 3000 you stated. At $4/gallon, I have spent $64 on DEF over 13,000 miles, or $0.004/mile! It's a moot point IMO.

Old 09-11-2022 | 07:57 AM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter
My real numbers for my diesel look different... I have kept up with every single drop of fuel I put in my truck since I picked it up (Spreadsheet). I always fill the tank all the way up so I can hand calculate the actual mpg's (don't ever trust the Lie-O-Meter, which I would say many do). Mine are never anywhere close to what's listed for even the 7.3L for city. In the city, I am probably averaging 11-13mpg with my 6.7. Once I hit the highway, especially unloaded, it's a different story. My highest mpg on a single tank has been 20.54 mpg's. But, I would guesstimate my average city mpg are 11-13 mpg, and my highway are 18+ up to probably around 21. But what's really interesting is that over the life of my truck, whether it's been city or highway, loaded or unloaded, my complete total average is only 13.97 mpg. This has been just under a years time, over 13,000 miles, around 923 gallons of diesel (not counting the tank that the dealer filled up) at an average cost of $4.41/gallon. I have filled my truck 51 times, and spent a total of $4,047.69. That's $0.31/mile. (Had diesel stayed even at $2.79/gallon like the very first time I filled up, that would have been cut back to $2,583 total, or $0.20/mile!)

And if I remember correctly, over this entire time I have added 16 gallons of DEF... it's so inexpensive and used so little it's not even worth keeping up with the cost of it in my case. But doing the math, it looks like for every 8 gallons has gotten me about 6500 miles, not the 3000 you stated. It's a moot point.
you’re average of 13.9 with a 6.7 is because you’re being honest and hand calculating. There’s large groups (not just diesel but 7.3 as well) that like to take snippets of drives and say “man I achieved 24.7mpg that’s amazing for a big truck”.

But when any group of owners is honest and factors in idle time, accelerating, and all the little things that crush fuel economy when using the truck practically ….and when they look at a larger picture over thousands of miles, the number just isn’t worth posting on the internet.

but that’s okay because I’m sure regardless of 14th vs 18mpg, you’re probably still happy with your truck as it’s doing everything you need it to do and then some.

I can drive my f250 gas power truck unloaded and in a manner that I can achieve an impressive number as well. But it’s not happening with normal use of the truck. Too many things make the MPG number drop throughout the day.

Old 09-11-2022 | 08:05 AM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
And if I remember correctly, over this entire time I have added 16 gallons of DEF... it's so inexpensive and used so little it's not even worth keeping up with the cost of it in my case. But doing the math, it looks like for every 8 gallons has gotten me about 6500 miles, not the 3000 you stated. It's a moot point.
DEF wasnt a big expense on my 6.7s either, and they worked almost daily towing 16-18k. The real cost difference that added up drastically over my gasoline trucks doing the same work was diesel oil change, fuel filter change, and fuel treatment during the colder months. The cost of those three services over just a $30 oil change on my 6.8L and 6.2L added hundreds more in maintenance costs annually, and no the better fuel mileage didn't offset those costs at all.

Ive never really driven any of my trucks empty for long enough to see consistent unloaded mileage until my brand new 2022 6.2L/6R100. I dont do city/stop and go at all. Highway/country routs with minimal stops if any and im getting 17.3mpg according to the truck and hand calculated 18mpg. I believe it to be true as from the factory this truck is calibrated perfectly, and the odometer/speedometer are spot on with any calibrated speed register I pass and any GPS ive used while driving. It was really surprising to me when I filled up the first time with 22.978G and 423 miles on the trip.

Old 09-11-2022 | 08:06 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Rwhjr
you’re average of 13.9 with a 6.7 is because you’re being honest and hand calculating. There’s large groups (not just diesel but 7.3 as well) that like to take snippets of drives and say “man I achieved 24.7mpg that’s amazing for a big truck”.

But when any group of owners is honest and factors in idle time, accelerating, and all the little things that crush fuel economy when using the truck practically ….and when they look at a larger picture over thousands of miles, the number just isn’t worth posting on the internet.

but that’s okay because I’m sure regardless of 14th vs 18mpg, you’re probably still happy with your truck as it’s doing everything you need it to do and then some.

I can drive my f250 gas power truck unloaded and in a manner that I can achieve an impressive number as well. But it’s not happening with normal use of the truck. Too many things make the MPG number drop throughout the day.
I am very happy with it, and I hope it stays that way! And you are right... with my every day stuff and a full tank of fuel, my truck is 8,200 lbs when I get in it. Getting that thing up to speed takes a lot of fuel, regardless of gas or diesel... When driving through the city, which is unfortunately very often for me now (again), it crushes me when I get up to about 45-50 mph and then have to stop again for yet another red light! I just watch the mpg hit the dirt. But yeah, if I top off at a fuel station and then immediately hit the highway and just drive, I will see the trucks real time mpg hitting 21 and even higher... but that's just not real life. I'll admit, it gets me excited seeing those numbers, but at the end of the day, I have my big picture data to look at, and it isn't exactly impressive... but I still love my truck none the less. And this has nothing to do with whether it is a gas or a diesel.... IMO these trucks are all beasts! And I love driving mine!

Old 09-11-2022 | 08:17 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by OverheadCram
DEF wasnt a big expense on my 6.7s either, and they worked almost daily towing 16-18k. The real cost difference that added up drastically over my gasoline trucks doing the same work was diesel oil change, fuel filter change, and fuel treatment during the colder months. The cost of those three services over just a $30 oil change on my 6.8L and 6.2L added hundreds more in maintenance costs annually, and no the better fuel mileage didn't offset those costs at all.

Ive never really driven any of my trucks empty for long enough to see consistent unloaded mileage until my brand new 2022 6.2L/6R100. I dont do city/stop and go at all. Highway/country routs with minimal stops if any and im getting 17.3mpg according to the truck and hand calculated 18mpg. I believe it to be true as from the factory this truck is calibrated perfectly, and the odometer/speedometer are spot on with any calibrated speed register I pass and any GPS ive used while driving. It was really surprising to me when I filled up the first time with 22.978G and 423 miles on the trip.
No doubt, fuel treatments, oil changes and fuel filter changes add up to more than a gas truck... but some will also treat their fuel on gas engines, and the cost of the oil change isn't that drastic if you do your own oil changes, and a set of fuel filters are pretty inexpensive... but yes, I am sure it eeks past the gas variant. However, after reading these threads for a while, I also see where these numbers are exaggerated on both sides trying to make points. So far, in my experience, when looking at my numbers and then comparing those numbers to what it would have been with the gas variant, it's not all that much more. But now with the exaggerated price of diesel, that's where the biggest difference seems to be now (again, if I were to use my history as my basis.) All in all though it's great that we can all just drive what we want! (For now...)

Old 09-11-2022 | 08:35 AM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
No doubt, fuel treatments, oil changes and fuel filter changes add up to more than a gas truck... but some will also treat their fuel on gas engines, and the cost of the oil change isn't that drastic if you do your own oil changes, and a set of fuel filters are pretty inexpensive... but yes, I am sure it eeks past the gas variant. However, after reading these threads for a while, I also see where these numbers are exaggerated on both sides trying to make points. So far, in my experience, when looking at my numbers and then comparing those numbers to what it would have been with the gas variant, it's not all that much more. But now with the exaggerated price of diesel, that's where the biggest difference seems to be now (again, if I were to use my history as my basis.) All in all though it's great that we can all just drive what we want! (For now...)
Definitely agree. Unlike the majority of posts from users ive read on these forums, I actually have detailed records of every truck that has ever been in my fleet since 2006. Most trucks ive purchased new and am the sole driver of with the occasional operation from one 1099 employee that treats the trucks as I do. The diesels have been considerably more money to maintain, repair, and fuel especially as they rack up the miles and require actual repairs like normal cooling system repairs, fuel system repairs and so on.

I do realize this doesnt correlate directly with the private consumer market, but at the same time its the reason why I have a complete gasoline engine fleet now and even for private use I would purchase a gasoline engine truck over a diesel. I also keep my trucks for life, which almost noone does so that makes a huge difference for ROI.

The following 2 users liked this post by OverheadCram:
Old 09-11-2022 | 08:43 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by OverheadCram
Definitely agree. Unlike the majority of posts from users ive read on these forums, I actually have detailed records of every truck that has ever been in my fleet since 2006. Most trucks ive purchased new and am the sole driver of with the occasional operation from one 1099 employee that treats the trucks as I do. The diesels have been considerably more money to maintain, repair, and fuel especially as they rack up the miles and require actual repairs like normal cooling system repairs, fuel system repairs and so on.

I do realize this doesnt correlate directly with the private consumer market, but at the same time its the reason why I have a complete gasoline engine fleet now and even for private use I would purchase a gasoline engine truck over a diesel. I also keep my trucks for life, which almost noone does so that makes a huge difference for ROI.
I’m hoping that I have this truck for a very long time, and is why I have chosen to do my own maintenance if it’s something I can do, and I like to keep good records too. I can also see how a fleet of diesels used heavily can easily out pace a gas fleet on maintenance alone though. And as much as I love my 6.7, it would have been interesting if I could have rented one with the 7.3 at one point.

Old 09-11-2022 | 08:56 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Diesel vs gas price must be dependent on where you live. Right now its about $4.40 diesel and $3.85 gas here. I don’t keep track of gas but thats what I saw when I filled up last night.

Then in order to get best performance out of the gas you need to probably run mid or premium which is higher than diesel.

In my last 6 speed 6.7 4x4 with 295 35.1” tires I was getting around 15mpg mixed and my last 2 6.2s including a 2wd and a 4x4 were getting in the 10s mpg mixed with similar tires but 33”.

My 6.7 10 speed is stock and I have no 7.3 to compare it to but to be conservative I would say 30% better than a 7.3 would be conservative. 16.9 avg mpg (my current 6.7) vs 12 in a 7.3 is what i would expect.

Quick Reply: A different 6.7 vs 7.3 = what's the best daily driver unloaded?