Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Should i use ATF for fuel additive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022 | 06:52 PM
EconoRyan
|
Cross-Country
I went with a QT of the opti-lube summer for $30 on amazon. It was 3x cheaper (per gl mixed) than the stanadyne so i got sold easily.

Preciate the input.

Old 04-12-2022 | 07:53 PM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
That's the study where I noticed PS Diesel Kleen (grey bottle) didn't fare so great. Some of those results I am going to have to call a little suspect though. Based on these conclusions somebody should be suing FPPF for fraud or false advertising or something for #16, but wait! They DO know how to make a good additive up at #3! So some of these results ask you to suspend disbelief for a moment.

Old 04-12-2022 | 08:52 PM
Bitterroot Diesel
Former Vendor
Yes, we'll ship the Opti-lube right to your door. You might even have local dealer if you need it same day.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-13-2022 | 01:10 AM
Y2KW57
Club FTE Gold Member
When the 7.3L was new and still in production, Stanadyne Performance Formula was the only all purpose third party diesel fuel additive that International and Ford engineers recommended.

Both International and Ford were very adamant about not using fuel additives with alcohol.

ATF will make the tank and fuel filter appear as if non taxed off road fuel was used, resulting in potential fines.

Old 04-13-2022 | 01:21 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
I have an irritating case of #8 injector knock due to not having that long lead injector installed. What quiets it down completely for me is to add enough 2 cycle oil to the fuel to make 100:1 mix. Then it's quiet. And it's blue, so no worries about them looking at me askance if they corral me and want to dip my tank.

Old 04-14-2022 | 10:29 AM
F250_
Hotshot
My first thought with the ATF approach was also the red color effect, Dan.

I've used Power Service DK, Optilube, Stanadyne, and several Schaeffer products. I stuck with the Schaeffer line because I was a rep for them and had a large quantity accumulated before I stopped being a rep. When I ran out last Spring (2021), I've not used anything at all since. I've seen no difference in either sound or fuel economy. With my original injectors still popping at 338K miles, I do not believe there is enough additional life available at this point, so I'll simply avoid the additive cost until I replace the injectors. Even if I install the injector shim kit before replacing the injectors, I just don't see enough practical benefit from an additive on injectors which are 20 years old and have 338k miles on them.

Old 04-14-2022 | 12:59 PM
Y2KW57
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by F250_
With my original injectors still popping at 338K miles, I just don't see enough practical benefit from an additive on injectors which are 20 years old and have 338k miles on them.
Just think, you might already have 140/30 injectors, for free.

Old 04-14-2022 | 02:31 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Just think, you might already have 140/30 injectors, for free.
Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

Old 04-14-2022 | 05:00 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
I feel additives are "feel good" chemicals. Do what makes you feel good.

Old 04-14-2022 | 05:05 PM
Sous
FTE Leadership Emeritus
Veteran: Air Force
FTE Emeritus
Originally Posted by dn29626
I feel additives are "feel good" chemicals. Do what makes you feel good.
Like dancing?

Old 04-14-2022 | 06:30 PM
Y2KW57
Club FTE Gold Member
That gif again? Now there's a line at the eyewash station.

Old 04-14-2022 | 10:35 PM
Baylinerchuck
Laughing Gas
My eyes, my eyes!!!!

Thats an interesting chart. I’m really surprised by the Valvtect numbers. That’s what my company uses as a winter additive package with anti-gel. Where did this chart come from? So if I’m reading this correctly the Valvtect being added to the diesel fuel reduces the lubricity of the fuel itself? Sounds pretty crazy.

Old 04-14-2022 | 11:47 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Baylinerchuck
My eyes, my eyes!!!!

Thats an interesting chart. I’m really surprised by the Valvtect numbers. That’s what my company uses as a winter additive package with anti-gel. Where did this chart come from? So if I’m reading this correctly the Valvtect being added to the diesel fuel reduces the lubricity of the fuel itself? Sounds pretty crazy.
I don’t know the original source. (Someone here will) I’ve seen it come up in a few different threads so went searching for it. Found the link I posted above in the Tech Folder.

And yes, that’s how I read it as well. Hard to believe some would reduce lubricity.

I agree with a lot of the thoughts on here about the additives not being needed etc but ultimately if I can add some lubricant to the fuel (which may be missing now with ULSD) it should help prevent wear to the internals of my injectors. I haven’t ran an additive in years but plan to start again soon.

Old 04-15-2022 | 05:46 AM
Baylinerchuck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
I don’t know the original source. (Someone here will) I’ve seen it come up in a few different threads so went searching for it. Found the link I posted above in the Tech Folder.

And yes, that’s how I read it as well. Hard to believe some would reduce lubricity.

I agree with a lot of the thoughts on here about the additives not being needed etc but ultimately if I can add some lubricant to the fuel (which may be missing now with ULSD) it should help prevent wear to the internals of my injectors. I haven’t ran an additive in years but plan to start again soon.
This is my exact thought as it’s known that ULSD has less lubricity than previous fuels. Though I admit I’m not sure how that affects HEUI engines since our fuel isn’t pressurized with an injection pump. But like you stated, if we can add more lubricity, that can’t be a bad thing.

Old 04-15-2022 | 06:39 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Baylinerchuck
This is my exact thought as it’s known that ULSD has less lubricity than previous fuels. Though I admit I’m not sure how that affects HEUI engines since our fuel isn’t pressurized with an injection pump. But like you stated, if we can add more lubricity, that can’t be a bad thing.
But the fuel is highly pressurized within the injector. Those moving parts in this pressure inducing zone are what I feel could benefit from additional lubricity.

Some of the photos Bitterroot has posted of these internals is what’s pushed me back to examining additives. They may not be “necessary” but couldn’t hurt the longevity of the injectors and those things are expensive! Although having an excuse for 160/0’s may be nice.

I guess it even makes sense to protect them so they would make good cores one day.

The previous chart lead me towards Opti-Lube and this one is what pushed me to the XL. The XL seems to be a good mix of cost versus benefit. The XPD costs about the same but only mixes to a fraction of the total gallons. And the XL has the best lubricity. Maybe XPD for winter, but mine sits as much as possible when the salt is on the roads.

The summer version may also be a good choice as being best for cost and also adds cetane. Not sure how much the cetane matters. But cost wise this would be the most economical choice.

Quick Reply: Should i use ATF for fuel additive?