Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

What did you do to your OBS today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 07:52 PM
matkinson13
Mountain Pass
Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts
Locked both front hubs and put Freeda in 4WD, both HI and LO and drove for about 50 feet in a line. Just wanted to see if they work...first time in the ~9 months I've owned her. Indicator lights came on and nothing grenaded! Success!

This is a big deal because it will help when pulling our trailer (Flossie) back into the driveway. The driveway angle is too steep and the road is too narrow to back her in normally, at least for my pathetic backing skills. I've crunched much gear on Flossie experimenting with the best way to do this: I have to pull straight in and do a 4-point turn in our yard to get everything backwards. Needless to say, we have ruts all in our lawn and my bride is not pleased. 4WD will (hopefully) allow me to do it without doing burnouts in the grass. Which are kinda cool from a guy perspective, but not my bride's.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-01-2024, 05:15 PM
tnfordblue
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Finally got hands on my '89 F-250. Finished pulling the lower intake. The PO had started by removing the upper and yanking wires loose after he broke off the thermostat housing bolts. I disconnected the fuel rails, still had pressure on them, and any remaining wiring connections. Had to remove the large, 1 1/4" wrench size fitting from behind the thermostat to get to the last intake bolt, and removed the lower distributor cap for clearance to get the intake out, but I'm going to remove the distributor so I can get a clear shot when it comes to setting the intake into place, might be a good time to use some guide pins. Got the intake on the bench and removed the fuel rail and injectors. Next I'll put a washer on each broken bolt and weld a nut to it and in theory back out the broken bolts. Got to make a comprehensive new and used parts list.

Old 06-02-2024, 09:10 AM
1Butcher
Laughing Gas
Received 296 Likes on 229 Posts
I took apart a core 5.8 engine and and ran into the same problems you did. Lots of seized bolts. Some broke and had to be removed, some broken and the part will just be scraped.

Old 06-03-2024, 08:23 AM
Duke5A
Cross-Country
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Got more of the frame cleaned up and parts stripped out. Gas tanks were pooched. Exhaust, axle and springs come out next weekend. Have to try fitting the late model F150 exhaust I have too.

Old 06-03-2024, 12:25 PM
cmccarthy
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replacing drum brakes today

Old 06-03-2024, 03:14 PM
tcanthonyii
Tuned
Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by tcanthonyii
Attempted to find the AC leak in my 96. Not sure if I made it better or worse. Going to pick up a sniffer today at lunch and charge the thing tonight and see what I can find. It at least has aa few new O-rings in it now and shrader valves. Bleeds down to -10 pretty quick and held a -5 all night. got a feeling it's either the high pressure side hose or the compressor but even the dye I put in it last year isn't helping things.
I did the sniffer and didn't find anything. Drove the truck a fair amount last week and over the weekend and it's still charged up so maybe a few of the rings and high side were just in need of an update. We'll see how long she lasts but it didn't last a month last summer.

Old 06-03-2024, 08:35 PM
HubbaHubbaLife
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lil Rattle Can Love Project.... Might do entire truck ha

The following 3 users liked this post by HubbaHubbaLife:
Old 06-04-2024, 12:31 AM
HydroDog
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Added a drain plug to my TTB front differential. Can’t believe Ford didn’t install one.

Old 06-04-2024, 11:41 AM
Soup bean
Laughing Gas
Received 360 Likes on 286 Posts
Panel bonded the O back into my tailgate. I'm not confident my backing plates will hold, but I'll find out in 24 hours. Prepping the surfaces inside the tailgate was difficult access wise.
The O was oil canning, so before I reattached it, I heated it with a propane torch and quenched it. That did stop the oil canning. I had never tried that before.

Old 06-04-2024, 01:28 PM
tnfordblue
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Soup bean
The O was oil canning, so before I reattached it, I heated it with a propane torch and quenched it. That did stop the oil canning. I had never tried that before.
I tried shrinking metal with a oxy-actylene torch earlier in life, and seemed to make it worse. Good job on your first try! Learning to use a heat shrinking disc now. Same idea, heat then cool.

Old 06-04-2024, 01:38 PM
Soup bean
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by tnfordblue
I tried shrinking metal with a oxy-actylene torch earlier in life, and seemed to make it worse. Good job on your first try! Learning to use a heat shrinking disc now. Same idea, heat then cool.
Worse case scenario, I have to weld it in, but I already had the Panelbond and I have to borrow a welder. It's already an improvement over the bondo mess it was originally.

Old 06-05-2024, 09:56 AM
Soup bean
Laughing Gas
The Panelbond is holding at the O.
I pulled most of this dent out. Hoping to wash, degrease, sand and bondo tomorrow.

Old 06-06-2024, 11:37 AM
Soup bean
Laughing Gas
I started on the bondo and sanding. Long story short, it needs more of both. I spray canned the entire tailgate, because I won't be able to work on it again until Monday.

Old 06-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Tried to rotate my tires today.... shop that put them on hammered the lug nuts on so tight my gun won't take them off the truck.... So now they have to work me in Monday to see if they can get them loose.

How hard is it to use a torque wrench when you work at a shop?

Old 06-08-2024, 07:09 PM
MiteyF
Cross-Country
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudsport96
Tried to rotate my tires today.... shop that put them on hammered the lug nuts on so tight my gun won't take them off the truck.... So now they have to work me in Monday to see if they can get them loose.

How hard is it to use a torque wrench when you work at a shop?
A lot harder than using a gun unfortunately.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your OBS today?