1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

What did you do to your OBS today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021 | 09:56 AM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by AuroraGirl
An inexepnsive front end spruce up with chrome grille and headlight bezels would do wonders for your truck.
I've considered that for a while. Just waiting to find the right set. Also wondering if I ought to do a bumper swap and pick up the chrome bumpers too. My rear bumper is already tweaked up a bit - maybe if I can find a straight set I'd do it.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-29-2021 | 03:48 PM
seijirou
|
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by evan_nugget
I've considered that for a while. Just waiting to find the right set. Also wondering if I ought to do a bumper swap and pick up the chrome bumpers too. My rear bumper is already tweaked up a bit - maybe if I can find a straight set I'd do it.
That, or color matched looks sharp too and is pretty easy to diy since your vehicle is white. White is by far the most forgiving color for painting and hiding imperfections.

Old 09-29-2021 | 03:57 PM
seijirou
|
Cargo Master
Didn't get a whole lot done yesterday. I have a little bit more wiring to do, namely I want to add a proper circuit for the seats and not hack it in like was done before and I found a 6 position power distribution block as well as a 6+6 fuse and relay box on Amazon for not a lot of money so I ordered them a little while ago. I opened them up and I'm happy with them, but I'm realizing that I want to go ahead and completely populate it now before I install it, so I'll be ready to go for any circuits in the future as well, so I needed to order different colors of 14ga automotive wire. In the mean time I half put them together and tired to figure out where I'm going to install it. I'm leaning towards under the air filter.

Old 09-30-2021 | 08:55 AM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by seijirou
That, or color matched looks sharp too and is pretty easy to diy since your vehicle is white. White is by far the most forgiving color for painting and hiding imperfections.
Don- you're right about that one! I ran across a '96 Bronco at the junkyard that had the factory color-matched bezels/grille, including the front and rear bumpers. Thought about picking up all that stuff, decided I could live without it. By the next time I went, someone had already beaten me to the punch!

Old 10-01-2021 | 11:35 AM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by evan_nugget
Don- you're right about that one! I ran across a '96 Bronco at the junkyard that had the factory color-matched bezels/grille, including the front and rear bumpers. Thought about picking up all that stuff, decided I could live without it. By the next time I went, someone had already beaten me to the punch!
I wonder what color match would do for my f150 tbh since the chrome/shiny look is technically the closest you prob could get for color match without doing color match LOL

Old 10-01-2021 | 12:10 PM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by AuroraGirl
I wonder what color match would do for my f150 tbh since the chrome/shiny look is technically the closest you prob could get for color match without doing color match LOL
I think you're right about that. The chrome compliments the silver nicely. I'd leave it as it were!

Old 10-01-2021 | 01:37 PM
emeraldcoupe
Fleet Mechanic
drove it home. just bought it this morning. 1996 f150 xlt scsb. 302 / 4r70w / 3.55's, 246k miles paid $1200 for it

The following 2 users liked this post by emeraldcoupe:
Old 10-03-2021 | 11:17 PM
seijirou
|
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by emeraldcoupe
drove it home. just bought it this morning. 1996 f150 xlt scsb. 302 / 4r70w / 3.55's, 246k miles paid $1200 for it

That's a hell of a deal

Old 10-03-2021 | 11:33 PM
seijirou
|
Cargo Master
Didn't have much opportunity this weekend, but made some progress with the new fuse panel.

Last picture first. Fuse ports are run and pins 30 and 87 for each relay are run. Still need to wire 85 and 86.

Back side. Why did I loom the 6 outputs when I still need to wire the 6 inputs? No idea, too excited I guess.

First pic today in progress, didn't think about it until I finished the fuse inputs and starts on the fuse outputs. Also close up one of the uncrimped terminals that it comes with.

I use this crimper a lot. This style of connector where it grabs both wire and insulation is really common. Got for a few bucks on amazon several years ago. Brand is Iwiss.

Finished crimp. The crimpers are actually a little small for this job but they do.

Relay pin 30 is done for all positions, so here I pulled each wire through the hole where the fuse output pin will go and cut off flush with the front.

Beer time. Hmm, maybe that's why I ended up looming this early...

Old 10-04-2021 | 12:31 AM
foresixtee
Mountain Pass
In process of completely overhauling the Air Con, and wire looming. Had a few setbacks though. Need to start getting a game plan together for saving my cab.

Old 10-04-2021 | 05:16 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Started fabbing a bracket to replace the worn out one for the trailer plug. The old one was so bad it was only held together by the paint.

Found a couple scotch locks. Need to replace the 4 pin plug since they only have 2 wires going to it....

Old 10-04-2021 | 07:03 PM
Surgemaster1277
Senior User
Nothing too special.

Well...It wasnt exactly a today only project but it was done over the weekend with some prior planning and building of sub assemblies a few days prior.

I decided the interior needed some upgrading so I also gave it a lil facelift...I added 2 USB plugs giving me 4 slots to use that are operated off of a 15 amp fuse and a toggle switch.

The stereo bay became the best place to put the gauges that best monitor the stroker engine even though the dash gauges still function aswell and to now make the tunes happen I have a Hifonics bluetooth unit made for a RZR side by side thats mounted in the accessory panel on the dash [round ****] along with an Audiopipe 5 band EQ mounted where the ashtray is supposed to be hooked-up to a Blaupunkt 1500watt 4 channel amp running 8 speakers [4 in each door] running on 2 channels of the amp with every 2 speaker pair running in series with a pair of those dual speakers running in series hooked-up in parallel for huge sound...Oh and theres two cheapie 600 watt self powered subs under the seat bought off amazon to fill in the bass and really rock out......Before the stereo upgrade I did a 170amp output alternator upgrade aswell...

A week ago I bought a used shifter for $65 off of ebay that retails new for $120.00 and I reshaped it a lil to fit my needs as I needed a shifter that was a 4" taller to help with driver comfort and couldnt find one I liked for under $190.00....LOL

I upgraded the audibility of the stock horns a bit too with 8 118decibel horns mounted behind the front bumper and 4 Hellas mounted on both sides of the fenderwells...Theres been debates about decibels and how many horns people choose to use with some saying anything more than the standard cadillac 4 is useless also the question about running horns in Series...Having 12 horns on 2 separate relays I can honestly say the sound is much much fuller and it definately gives the offending driver or alerting a person the best idea of which vehicle the sound is eminating from....LOL

Trying the 2 wire horns wired in series diminishes the horns ability to produce true sound as it cuts the sound in half so for all that were or are curious...Dont waste your thought anymore....

I also in all the mellee of things and initially started was ripping out the troublesome Holley EFI system and installed a Ron Francis wiring harness in with an A9L computer from an 89 Stang tweaked with a V3 Moates chip and 8 position rotary **** with 8 custom tunes loaded with tunes done by a buddy remotely using my Holley logfiles as an initial guide.

I also had to modify the dual intake with a 1 into 2 branch off aswell as a 90mm lightning MAF and 90mm cone airfilter..I also integrated an AEM Wideband controller into the EGR port on the ECU pin #27 to get my tunes with-in pinpoint accuracy after doing another datalog in a few days then sending them off to my buddy...The thing runs pretty phenomenal so far..Way better in the lowend with the TKO600...No more annoying lowend chug a lug and lowspeed surges.......

My next project will be doing something different with those ugly foot pedals.........LOL

Today I actually did something else that stops that annoying rearend hop that F250's/350's [and sometimes even 150's] get along with brake shudder making you think its rear shocks or 2pc driveshaft and hanger bearing related but unfortunately I didnt take pics as I wasnt sure it would work until I tried it and I have to say it works phenomenal aswell...no rearend bounce and no more brake shudder coming up through my shifter when I brake moderately hard.........

It feels like Im driving a NasCar style worktruck now especially with the spherical bearing mod done in-place of the rubber pivot bushing also the deletion of the rubber radius arm cushion with a spherical bearing mod done too so that should give you a clue as to how I modified my rear leafspring shackles.....

Whats funny is with the Holley ECU and before the mods theres been dudes in Tundras and Titans who had to learn a harsh lesson on the power the stroker smallblock makes in my 30year old crapbox and how the 5 speed with .64 overdrive gives me the ability to easily stretch them out after 85mph and literally leave them in the dust.....LOL

Stay tuned for my thread on the easy thing I did to make it happen or I can say I mean not happen anymore.......

Old 10-04-2021 | 07:14 PM
seijirou
|
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Edgethis
Started fabbing a bracket to replace the worn out one for the trailer plug. The old one was so bad it was only held together by the paint.

Found a couple scotch locks. Need to replace the 4 pin plug since they only have 2 wires going to it....

Wow, getting that done not a minute too soon!

Old 10-04-2021 | 07:20 PM
seijirou
|
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Surgemaster1277
Holy crap that's a lot of horns.

Old 10-04-2021 | 07:26 PM
seijirou
|
Cargo Master
Brief day today, these shorter days really suck!

Actually finished wiring the fuse panel. I realized today that in addition to still needing to run the 6 triggers, I also needed to wire in the grounds, and install the gaskets for the relay wires, so quite a bit had to come back off. The tips of my fingers are a little pissed off now but I think the hardest part is over. Now it's a bit of the waiting game because I needed to order some connectors suitable for 12awg wire and they won't be here for.. 10 days!? On to something else for a while then I guess.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your OBS today?