1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

360 PCV System

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021 | 09:40 PM
1browski
Cargo Master
You're right. I didnt pay close attention to the diagram. Went outside and popped my hood to see where I have that vacuum port plugged off. Mine is on the carb base. Without the PCV system on my truck, I have to wipe my valve cover off every time I look under the hood.

Old 08-20-2021 | 10:59 AM
motogotor
|
Mountain Pass
I will connect the PCV to the vacuum fitting at the base of the carb for sure, the only real difference is that mine will draw fresh air through the breather cap on the drivers side without being connected to the air filter. i should still end up with a better vented engine that what I have now and hopefully less mess in general. I suppose I could have used the filter that I have now on the intake side but I was not able to source an original cap with the grommet in the top for the drivers side so I felt this was an acceptable option. The breather cap has a mesh inside but I'm not sure that I would call it an actual filter.

Old 08-20-2021 | 07:11 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
2X 85e150. There must be a vacuum source hooked up to the top of the PCV as he stated. And fresh air supplied from the other side. Whether the air cleaner or GOOD filtered oil cap. Otherwise the engine oil will get dirty quicker. Not the one that has mesh in it.

Old 08-24-2021 | 07:11 PM
motogotor
|
Mountain Pass
All the parts came in and it's all plumbed up. Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions

Mr Gasket crankcase breather cap. The filter actually looks better than I expected.

PCV Valve with preformed hose plumbed to the back of the carb.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-24-2021 | 09:25 PM
Lahti35
Mountain Pass
Looks good!

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-28-2021 | 06:03 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Glad to hear your success.

Old 08-28-2021 | 06:53 PM
jfmaz
Tuned
Interesting reading here...........pcv valve sizing

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PCV Valve sizing.pdf (577.0 KB, 62 views)
Old 01-23-2022 | 08:10 PM
chappy69
Cross-Country
Hey Guys,
This is a great post!
I have a snag with this pvc system as well, I replaced my heated spacer with a phenolic for heat soak reasons. The new spacer got rid of the heat soak but now I have no place to return from the pvc on the passenger side, since the original spacer had the port back to the carb.
Does anyone have any ideas of what can be done?
Can anyone tell me if these oil caps on my engine are accually pcv valves or are they just filters , and can they be cleaned?

Old 01-23-2022 | 11:23 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Club FTE Gold Member
Can you put the pcv spacer under or on top of the other spacer? You only need one of those caps. They both appear to be PCVs. As OEM the one on the passenger side is the PCV. The other is where the air is drawn into the engine. This via a connection to the air cleaner and a small filter inside the housing.

Old 01-24-2022 | 12:39 PM
chappy69
Cross-Country
thx but Thats the way I had it , with the factory spacer on the bottom, worked fine only problem is when I double up on the spacers the kick down is to short and the factory breather extension to the manifold to short. May have to go that route if I dont get a work around with using the one spacer, Is there a carb that has the port built in rather than using the spacer?

Old 01-25-2022 | 04:58 PM
motogotor
|
Mountain Pass
Can you tee into your power brake line? Both lines have full manifold vacuum so I don't think that will hurt your brake performance.

It's a little unclear in the pictures because it looks like the passenger side PCV hose is connected at the back of the carb to something?

Can you drill/tap the new spacer to put a vacuum port on it. Is that a commercial spacer or did you make it yourself?

Old 01-25-2022 | 07:11 PM
chappy69
Cross-Country
Ya that did cross my mind, my only concern would be contamination into the booster line, but i guess there would be vaccum on them both back to the intake on both lines? Also wouldnt I loose vacuum to the booster through the pvc valve?

Its a commercial spacer "canton" wasn't cheap but I think it was for a Holley, but adapted to the autolite no problem.Oh and the hose from the pcv isnt attached to anything its just sitting there

Old 01-26-2022 | 03:37 AM
RTT
Fleet Mechanic
Wink

Originally Posted by 1browski

When I went to a HEI distributor, I removed the PCV valve and had to switch to a different air filter because the HEI is so tall. I am going to put original dist. and PCV back on one of these days and add petronix instead. I like the original look and cleaner valve covers. Ive seen people add an oil trap as well.
You can get a 2" carburetor spacer for the top of carb air horn. This will allow you enough height for your new Pertronix to fit under your stock air cleaner. . Also will work now 4 your HEI I think.

Old 01-26-2022 | 08:22 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
I wouldn't use the booster hose. Under certain circumstances, like hard or full throttle, the PCV might get all or most of the vacuum. Keep the caps that you have. Your right side one has the PCV. The left one has a plastic elbow for the supply hose to push on too. Which yours is there. Holley makes a kick down rod extension. Their part number 20-41.

Old 01-28-2022 | 01:52 AM
RTT
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Lahti35
My '68 360 had some funky stuff going on also which I am currently fixing... The passenger side breather goes by hose to the back of the carb spacer on the intake and the driver's side goes to the air cleaner (oil bath on mine). Might be changes by '71 though...
My 302 is exactly the opposite !!! I do believe many,many Moons ago I read either way is ok just as long as you have it running to said components as you stated. There is a PCV valve in my PANCAKE oil filler WITH FILTER MATERIAL IN PANCAKE CAP that the hose takes to the carb spacer on the manifold. Mine does seem to have factory molded hoses so it does appear correct for a 1971 302, 360 may b different of course.

Quick Reply: 360 PCV System