2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

AGM batteries the way to go

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 02:14 PM
dnoel
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
That would just be a error on Napa's part. Any group 65 will fit.
Searched Odyssey and I agree. Wish I had seen this thread during the Napa flashsale for 20% off. Guess I’ll go with the batteries+ XP2. They look pretty good and have $30 rebate along with 10% off online.

Old 06-27-2021, 03:26 PM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dnoel
Napa site says this doesn’t fit a 2017 f250 diesel.
fits my 6.2 fine. it is a group 65 so it should fit.

Old 06-27-2021, 03:34 PM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,158 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Guess I’ll go with the batteries+ XP2. They look pretty good and have $30 rebate along with 10% off online.
Isn't that $30 rebate only on the marine version?

Old 06-27-2021, 03:53 PM
dnoel
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wd6.7L
Isn't that $30 rebate only on the marine version?
I found that to be correct. I think the marine version just adds the threaded post and is $10 more. No stock in my area. I'm doing the Odssey from Real Truck for $299 as someone above mentioned. I'll order the second one in a few days (July) and should get $50 off the second one for the promo they have going for June.

FYI...I had both batteries that were seeping excessively in my 2017 replaced under warranty. They are leaking again. The battery hold downs are all corroded as a result. The dealer never bothered to replace them. I'm done with these batteries. I'll have the hold downs powder coated. NOTE: I do live in an area with high summer temperatures.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:13 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
For anyone in CA you will get your batteries within a day or two. Mine were dropped shipped from the EnerSys warehouse in Corona CA. Ordered Thursday and got them FedEx Saturday.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:02 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,611 Likes on 1,895 Posts
I had both batteries that were seeping excessively in my 2017 replaced under warranty. They are leaking again. The battery hold downs are all corroded as a result. The dealer never bothered to replace them. I'm done with these (OEM stock) batteries.
Once you go 'mat,
You is done wit all 'dat.

The following 3 users liked this post by Y2KW57:
Old 06-27-2021, 10:53 PM
ForeverFixing
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine in a couple of days ago. I'm happy. Just had to clean up and paint the hold downs.

$299.99 each

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-28-2021, 06:52 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,869 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Searched Odyssey and I agree. Wish I had seen this thread during the Napa flashsale for 20% off. Guess I’ll go with the batteries+ XP2. They look pretty good and have $30 rebate along with 10% off online.
The NAPA Legend AGM battery is the same price now as it was during their "flash sale." Obviously doesn't help if you are set on Odyssey though...

Old 06-29-2021, 09:16 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
The NAPA Legend AGM battery is the same price now as it was during their "flash sale." Obviously doesn't help if you are set on Odyssey though...
I doubt NAPA batteries hold a candle to Odyssey. Been running Odyssey batteries for almost 20 years, got one that is 15 years old and still in use here on the ranch.

Searh out Odyssey and read about their tech, They do not use the spiral tech they use a flat plate. PIckup any 2 batteries of the same Group, you will find the Odyssey is significantly heavier. My group 31 weighs over 80 lbs, I got to Wal Mart and pick up a Group 31 and do it with 2 fingers, then there is the PURITY of the lead.

Take away is you get what you pay for and cheap don't come good and good don't come cheap.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:51 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
I doubt NAPA batteries hold a candle to Odyssey. Been running Odyssey batteries for almost 20 years, got one that is 15 years old and still in use here on the ranch.

Searh out Odyssey and read about their tech, They do not use the spiral tech they use a flat plate. PIckup any 2 batteries of the same Group, you will find the Odyssey is significantly heavier. My group 31 weighs over 80 lbs, I got to Wal Mart and pick up a Group 31 and do it with 2 fingers, then there is the PURITY of the lead.

Take away is you get what you pay for and cheap don't come good and good don't come cheap.
The group 31's and the 4D's are monsters for sure. I will say the Odyssey 4D batteries are the only batteries we have used at work that last 1k hours in the box scrappers and compactors.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:52 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,869 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks

Ive been reading up on all the AGM batteries since this thread. I’ve also gotten 12 years of service from a Motorcraft lead-acid, and 9 years from a Mopar lead-acid battery.
I have a pair of Interstate AGMs coming my way by the weekend, as I can get them at cost through a friends work. My considerations are warranty issues (if any) should be a piece of cake due to this, and the price is cheaper than many store-brand lead-acid batteries. Can’t hurt to try for a ~$300 difference, and I’m not looking to set any longevity records with my batteries. I just want the damn leaking to stop!

Old 06-30-2021, 06:56 AM
bigred460ci
Tuned
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
My Motorcraft batteries failed after just 3 years in service in my 2018 F350. I did not have any leaking as many others have noted but I did replace them with Interstate AGM's. We'll see how they do.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:49 AM
Jello4
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately the Optima AGM are no longer available at NAPA. :-(

The system will let you add them to the cart, but when you check out there is a message that says the product is no longer available in their network.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:28 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,611 Likes on 1,895 Posts
Originally Posted by Jello4
Unfortunately the Optima AGM are no longer available at NAPA. :-(

The system will let you add them to the cart, but when you check out there is a message that says the product is no longer available in their network.
This doesn't appear to be true on my currently open window to Napa online.

But even if it were true, it would not be unfortunate, and of no loss or consequence.

Did you mean to say Optima? Or did you intend to say Odyssey?

Optimas used to be fantastic batteries. In the '80's when they were first introduced.

Changes in ownership and manufacturing processes, materials, and country of origin appeared to have degraded the Optima spiracel batteries to an "also ran".

More recent changes in ownership may have altered the quality of the Optima battery again... perhaps for the better. Time will tell.

The Odyssey battery is different than the Optima, although some have confused the names as they both are AGM batteries, and both begin with the letter O.

The Odyssey battery is manufactured by Enersys, the same battery manufacturer that makes AGM batteries for fighter jets, submarines, and army tanks.

I have a computer window concurrently open on Napa Online.

Some Odyssey batteries are in stock for Ship To Home ("Add to Cart" button is dark blue).

Some Odyssey batteries are out of stock for Ship to Home, but remain offered for pick up in local Napa stores, with the the instruction to call the store for availability. ("Add to Cart" button is grey).

The Optima blue top battery, which I wouldn't use in this application, is also in fact available at Napa.

Optima Blue Top Battery BCI No. 27 800 A Glass Mat

Part # :
BAT N99D27MBLUE

"Order Now, Pickup Today We'll notify you when ready for pickup"

Old 07-02-2021, 04:37 PM
nm1sks
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I just bought a set of Odyessey Extremes group 65 after doing a lot of research. I have the factory batteries in a 2017 and drivers side was starting to get weak, the drivers side is the only one that leaked and has eaten away at the hold down. Also the positive side terminal is just corroded and I have cleaned it maybe 6 different times now didn't matter even caking it in preventive corrosion spray it just kept happening. Seem like this is common and a serious problem in this year truck. Got them at Auto Zone special order $330 each.

Quick Reply: AGM batteries the way to go