Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Low boost/high egts..

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021 | 10:02 PM
Sous
FTE Leadership Emeritus
Veteran: Air Force
FTE Emeritus
There is a small plug on each head where the HPx or crossover line goes just in front of the turbo.

Other than that, if you are sure it is oil it would be one of the 4 pedestal o-rings or the EBPV. There is a large o-ring at the back of the oil rail under the down pipe, but that wouldn't flow into the valley.

If you think it might be fuel, then there are a couple of spots back there. The fitting on the head or the hold down clamp just in front of the pedestal on the passenger head.

Old 06-08-2021 | 07:19 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Club FTE Gold Member
@Rot Box 2 , Have you taken the inspection cover under the transmission off to see if the oil is actually flowing through the valley drain hole and into the bell housing?

Old 06-08-2021 | 09:48 AM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
Just pulled the inspection cover. Looks pretty dry in there—rear main looks good. Looks like oil is running down the passenger side of the bell housing on the outside.

I think I just need to accept the fact the turbo has to come off again to know for sure. Thanks again guys I really appreciate the help you’ve given me in this thread.

Old 06-08-2021 | 09:55 AM
FordTruckNoob
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by Rot Box 2
Just pulled the inspection cover. Looks pretty dry in there—rear main looks good. Looks like oil is running down the passenger side of the bell housing on the outside.

I think I just need to accept the fact the turbo has to come off again to know for sure. Thanks again guys I really appreciate the help you’ve given me in this thread.
That narrows things down considerably. Check the HP oil gallery plug at the back of the PS head and the VC bolts to see if they are snug. A turbo/pedestal leak will drain through the valley drain hole. Like Sous said, what looks like oil might be fuel washing black crud down so check the PS fuel fitting and fuel gallery plug also.

Old 06-08-2021 | 12:16 PM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
Took me 45 minutes to get the turbo off! I’m getting good at this!... ugh.

Other than the pool of oil under the pedestal there’s no signs of leaking on the pedestal or turbo orings. Man I’m stumped.

Think I should reuse my orings? They look brand new mostly because they are haha. Napa has new ones or the dealer.. holy smokes the dealer wants $90 for the orings and turbo bolts as a kit so probably not going to do that anytime soon.

Old 06-08-2021 | 12:17 PM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
There’s one plug on the oil rail that is a little damp around it. All the other plugs are dry as a bone so I don’t think that’s my issue.

Old 06-08-2021 | 01:19 PM
Sous
FTE Leadership Emeritus
FTE Emeritus
Keep looking, it has to be coming from somewhere. The damp one may ooze oil when there is pressure in the system.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-08-2021 | 01:50 PM
FordTruckNoob
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by Rot Box 2
There’s one plug on the oil rail that is a little damp around it. All the other plugs are dry as a bone so I don’t think that’s my issue.
I don't mean the oil plugs in the valley. I'm talking about the HP Oil gallery plug at the end of the head.

Also for your pedestal o-rings, this may interest you.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-08-2021 | 02:04 PM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
I don't mean the oil plugs in the valley. I'm talking about the HP Oil gallery plug at the end of the head.

Also for your pedestal o-rings, this may interest you.
Ok I checked those plugs too just now and they look dry so I think I’m good there.

Im definitely interested in those pedestal orings.. dual lip? Seems like a nice upgrade..

I’m reusing my old orings for now they look perfect. Just getting I put back together now..

Old 06-08-2021 | 08:16 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
New pedestal right?
Check for any casting porosity that could allow oil to bleed through.
Maybe a little air pressure to the ports and soapy water to the outside too. Guessing you’d just have to plug the other side of the hole with your finger. Have three hands?

Old 06-08-2021 | 09:01 PM
Sous
FTE Leadership Emeritus
FTE Emeritus
Below are the details to the enhanced o-rings that @FordTruckNoob used and then was followed by several FTE'rs.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...al-o-ring.html

Maybe try to use some engine assembly lube or something to hold them in place if you think they shifted at all.

Jason has a good thought about looking closely for casting errors.

Old 06-09-2021 | 01:48 PM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
Yes new ebpv delete pedestal. I checked it really good for cracks or other blemishes. Didn’t see much however the sealing surface wasn’t as smooth as I’d like... I’m sure it’s fine it wasn’t rough by any means.

Ran it for about twenty miles and there’s oil in the valley again. I’m going to keep a close eye on that plug on the oil rail. That’s the only place I can see that is suspect. Here’s a crappy pic of it. Let’s say that is the place it’s leaking from do you think I’d benefit from an aftermarket crossover tube? Not sure what those do I’m kind of a newb haha.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 06-09-2021 | 02:38 PM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
Definitely not that plug. I wiped it down real good and ran it no signs of leaking there...

Oh well thanks again for the help guys. I’m going to just drive it and hope to hell nothing blows. I’m at wits end with this thing kinda frustrating.

Old 06-09-2021 | 03:39 PM
Sous
FTE Leadership Emeritus
FTE Emeritus
That is one of the plugs I mentioned a few days ago. A crossover is a bad idea, simple as that.

Are you sure it isn't fuel, as I also mentioned the other day?

There are only a few spots oil/fuel can leak from back there if you are sure it is not traveling along the ridge of a plenum cover.

Old 06-09-2021 | 04:02 PM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
Yeah pretty confident it’s not fuel. I checked the fuel line back there for leaks and chafing near the clamp and it looks good.

Noted on the crossover pipe I won’t worry about doing that.

Found a 10mm socket lodged in the drain hole lol. That’s three sockets I’ve found in this truck since purchase! Someone’s been into it before wish I knew the history on it.

Quick Reply: Low boost/high egts..