1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Low boost/high egts..

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021 | 06:54 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
The inlets on the E99 are smaller than they are on the 99.5+ but the bolts on the heads are the same. If billet plenums are available with the smaller openings, they will fit, if not you're in for more upgrades to make them work, including a later spider, turbo and pedestal plus some other things.

Old 05-05-2021 | 08:04 PM
Sous
FTE Leadership Emeritus
Veteran: Air Force
FTE Emeritus
Andrew, what is your rough geographical location? There may be an FTE'r near you that is able to offer a hand or in person advice if you are up for that sort of thing.

I have been on the receiving and giving end of this generosity and am very grateful for all of those experiences. I have made some lifelong friends from this online community and have met about two dozen FTE'rs in person. This is a great community to be a part of!

Mark has some good advice for you, and indicated the snowball effect an E99 owner can be subjected to if not careful.

Old 05-06-2021 | 10:46 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sous
Andrew, what is your rough geographical location? There may be an FTE'r near you that is able to offer a hand or in person advice if you are up for that sort of thing.

I have been on the receiving and giving end of this generosity and am very grateful for all of those experiences. I have made some lifelong friends from this online community and have met about two dozen FTE'rs in person. This is a great community to be a part of!

Mark has some good advice for you, and indicated the snowball effect an E99 owner can be subjected to if not careful.

I still have my L99 parts in my garage from when I did my T4 system. Let me know if you end up needing new pedestal and spyder. BTW I have 266k on my truck and the plenums have never been an issue. I just added the inserts, but mine is an L99.

Old 05-06-2021 | 05:58 PM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
You guys are awesome thank you so much! I’m in Northern utah near Logan. If anyone wants lunch and beer you’re welcome to help me haha.

I pressure tested the system with my home brew tool and guess what?? Driver side plenum on the top towards the back. It’s a BAD leak I’m surprised it boosts at all!

looks like I have my work cut out for me. Here’s some pics for fun.

Old 05-06-2021 | 06:09 PM
Sous
FTE Leadership Emeritus
FTE Emeritus
A lot of good things come from the words home brew!

You have a target now and can set forth a course of action. Good news if you ask me.

Old 05-06-2021 | 06:23 PM
F350towing
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
Been there, done that,

Bought the t-shirt.

Now you know where the boost is going, at least some of it.

Was that the only leak you discovered? Surprises me if yes.

How does the turbo look?

Old 05-06-2021 | 06:35 PM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
I sprayed everything with soap and that’s the only leak I could find. Turbo shaft play seems fine and the fins look good. It’s probably original though so I’m kinda thinking about an upgrade while it’s apart.. it’s only money right?!

Old 05-07-2021 | 08:20 AM
F350towing
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by Rot Box 2
I sprayed everything with soap and that’s the only leak I could find. Turbo shaft play seems fine and the fins look good. It’s probably original though so I’m kinda thinking about an upgrade while it’s apart.. it’s only money right?!
Careful how you look at it. These guys here, and me included, will be more than happy to help you spend your money. Do your own research and make informed and wise decisions on how you spend your $$$.

If you contemplating pulling the turbo... ebpv delete pedestal, KC 300s turbine wheel, 360° rebuild kit, you choose your compressor wheel, and bellowed up pipes.

Welcome to PMS. See how quickly that adds up.

Old 05-07-2021 | 11:22 AM
Sous
FTE Leadership Emeritus
FTE Emeritus
F350towing is absolutely right... But... At least we are here in a capacity for you to learn the lessons and get past the mistakes that we have made. This allows you to skip learning the lessons yourself and go right to the victory dance once you decide on a course of action and press on with it.

Know your goals, budget, level of mechanical ability and allotted time and you will be well on your way.

Old 05-07-2021 | 06:44 PM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
Sound advice thanks guys. Ebpv delete housing, orings and pedestal are going to be ordered for sure.

Do I need to pull the fuel bowl to do this job? Where it’s just the drivers side leaking.. ugh well I better just reseal both plenums huh?

Looks like the RiffRaff plenums for the early 99 are on back order. Should I wait for them to become available again or try to reseal my stock ones assuming I don’t destroy them trying to get them off?

Going to dive in on Wednesday I’ll post some pics.

What is the sealant I need? Will ultra/mega-grey work or should I get the sealant from the dealership?

Sorry for all the questions. I’m pretty intimidated by this project for sure.

Old 05-07-2021 | 07:17 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Club FTE Gold Member
Pretty sure you need to use ford ta-31
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-07-2021 | 07:54 PM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
I might be a little late to the party but do you have any kind of filter cover on your 6637? I recently found the Filter Wears cover on my E99 6637 was choking air flow. Even after hand washing it with Dawn and air dry I could hear a major difference and boost pressure was around 2-3# lower with vs. without. Also curious how your compressor wheel looks. I recently went to help a buddy do a shake down on the E99 he picked up at auction for maybe a steal,$2600 w/ 120k on the clock. When I pulled the air intake his wheel was all but gone. Also needs injector cups, a good bit of wiring to chase out(rats have been doing some unspeakable things in the valley), and has a little more blow by then I'd want to see but who knows.

Old 05-07-2021 | 08:02 PM
F350towing
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
Yup TA-31 for the sealant.

You can reuse the plenums, they are a pressed metal, but they aren’t flimsy.

I didn’t remove anything except for the intercooler pipes and wiring harness, but if your doing the pedestal and turbo that will make it easier for the rear bolts on the drivers side.

Use a wire wheel for cleaning the old sealant off the plenums. Works like a charm.

This was the first thing I did myself on my truck, so I understand your apprehension.

I took a few pictures for reference before I pulled it apart.

Old 05-07-2021 | 08:29 PM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
Awesome I can’t thank you guys enough.

I ordered up pipes, ebpv delete housing and pedestal (mine has given me fits in the past so I unplugged it), inserts for the stock plenums (so they don’t crush at the clamps) new intake boots and a bunch of other stuff. Hope I have all my ducks in a row haha.

I do have the RiffRaff element cover on my 6637.

Old 05-08-2021 | 06:33 PM
Rot Box 2
|
Tuned
I ordered some bellowed up pipes. Do I use the gaskets or no? I’m hearing it both ways..

Quick Reply: Low boost/high egts..