460 score

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021 | 08:07 AM
ranger140892
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by mark a.
You need to check the relationship between the 2 ends, to the center of the shaft, runout in the middle of the shaft has little to nothing to do with it.
Again, I'm not following you. Or you're not following me. As I said, the first two journals I checked were number's 1 & 5. That's the two ends. There was no runout between them. And with the dial indicator still zero'd on those two journals, I checked the center three journals. No runout. Can the camshaft be straighter than that?

Old 09-05-2021 | 08:55 AM
77&79F250
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by ranger140892
Ричард, преодолял ли си джет лага?
Да, преодолях джет лага си.

Благодаря че попита.

Old 09-05-2021 | 10:50 AM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master
Club FTE Silver Member
I've got a new AVS2 1912, 800 cfm carburetor that'll go on the 502.
10/4 thats what i went with,,,,,,and on my startup it ran well, I questioned weather i should go with the 800,it wasnt out yet and summit told me to hold off until its released .Glad you said your going with that. for conformation

Old 09-05-2021 | 11:42 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Again, I'm not following you. Or you're not following me. As I said, the first two journals I checked were number's 1 & 5. That's the two ends. There was no runout between them. And with the dial indicator still zero'd on those two journals, I checked the center three journals. No runout. Can the camshaft be straighter than that?
It just doesn't work like that. First off, it can't be checked in a lathe, you need V blocks. Checking the center gives you nothing more than an overall reading and that's not what you need to be looking for. ( Straightness is checked from supported #1 & #3 journals out to an unsupported #5 journal and viceversa ) your checking the relationship between each half of the shaft. Like I said, a cam can be out on one end and you may not even notice it just checking it in the center. I don't know how else to explain it. Set one up and try it, you'll see what I'm trying to say.

Old 09-05-2021 | 03:08 PM
ranger140892
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Gold Member
It just doesn't work like that. First off, it can't be checked in a lathe, you need V blocks. Checking the center gives you nothing more than an overall reading and that's not what you need to be looking for. ( Straightness is checked from supported #1 & #3 journals out to an unsupported #5 journal and viceversa ) your checking the relationship between each half of the shaft. Like I said, a cam can be out on one end and you may not even notice it just checking it in the center. I don't know how else to explain it. Set one up and try it, you'll see what I'm trying to say.
Ok, I've got V-blocks and tried it, using the original camshaft I bought when this was still a 460 build. Btw, I also mocked up this camshaft in the engine when I first realized I had a problem a few weeks ago. It was exactly the same as the camshaft I'm using. Anyway, this morning I used my milling machine's table for V-block set up, since I don't have a granite machinist's block. The results were the same. I still thought I might be missing something, so I called two friends that each run machine shops. One is a CNC production shop, the other an engine machine shop. Both said same thing. The camshaft is produced between centers. If it truly indicates true on all five journals when set up between centers, then it cannot be anything but straight when set up on any combination of journals.

Old 09-05-2021 | 11:46 PM
ranger140892
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by lafermedavid
I've got a new AVS2 1912, 800 cfm carburetor that'll go on the 502.
10/4 thats what i went with,,,,,,and on my startup it ran well, I questioned weather i should go with the 800,it wasnt out yet and summit told me to hold off until its released .Glad you said your going with that. for conformation
I think that carburetor is just about right for a mildly upgraded 460 build. On the dyno at wide open throttle, It's probably a bit restrictive for a fairly stout 502 build. But I chose the 800 cfm carburetor because I'm looking for throttle response at low rpm. When this engine goes to the dyno, I'm probably gonna get a laugh when it still makes 6" of vacuum at wide open throttle.

Old 09-06-2021 | 07:19 AM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master
Club FTE Silver Member
avs 2 1912

"I think that carburetor is just about right for a mildly upgraded 460 build" Great I was relying on summit,,,,when i gave them my specs,,,,,but still was'nt sure of myself.I know your on top of this.

Old 09-06-2021 | 10:58 AM
ranger140892
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Gold Member
I was so impressed when I tried my first AVS2, and they still impress me. I wish Holley would put annular discharge venturi's in their 4150 flanged Street Avenger line.

Old 09-06-2021 | 12:07 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Ok, I've got V-blocks and tried it, using the original camshaft I bought when this was still a 460 build. Btw, I also mocked up this camshaft in the engine when I first realized I had a problem a few weeks ago. It was exactly the same as the camshaft I'm using. Anyway, this morning I used my milling machine's table for V-block set up, since I don't have a granite machinist's block. The results were the same. I still thought I might be missing something, so I called two friends that each run machine shops. One is a CNC production shop, the other an engine machine shop. Both said same thing. The camshaft is produced between centers. If it truly indicates true on all five journals when set up between centers, then it cannot be anything but straight when set up on any combination of journals.
That's good you got a straight one. The problem with their thinking is the cam does not spin on dead centers. The relationship from center to end is what matters. If you ever come across a motor that lost a cam bearing odds are it will be either #1 or #5 and this is why.

Old 09-06-2021 | 12:18 PM
ranger140892
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Gold Member
That's good you got a straight one. The problem with their thinking is the cam does not spin on dead centers. The relationship from center to end is what matters. If you ever come across a motor that lost a cam bearing odds are it will be either #1 or #5 and this is why.
I gotta tell you, "their thinking" is based on years of education, years of experience, years of research & development, and years of top shelf reputation.

You are correct that the camshaft does not index on the center drilled holes while in the engine. But when the number 1 & 5 journals are concentric with the center drilled holes (confirmed), and the number 2, 3, & 4 journals are concentric with numbers 1 & 5 journals (confirmed), then the camshaft is straight. And btw, a precision lathe is a much more accurate measuring fixture than two independent V-blocks.

Old 09-07-2021 | 06:51 PM
ranger140892
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Gold Member
Parts are rolling in this week. Ignition system, fuel pump, and a few other goodies should be here in the next couple of days. The CVF Racing accessory drive was delivered this evening. I immediately mocked it up for pulley alignment check and just to look at it. The following pics may not be suitable for younger audiences.

Old 09-07-2021 | 07:23 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Club FTE Gold Member
Nice ! Glad to see you and yours made it through the Hurricane ok Are you going to run A/C ? and did you manage to locate the intake you wanted?

Old 09-07-2021 | 07:29 PM
ranger140892
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by redroad
Nice ! Glad to see you and yours made it through the Hurricane ok Are you going to run A/C ? and did you manage to locate the intake you wanted?
No ac in this truck. But if I decide to later, I can change alternator bracket, and add ac bracket. Yep, a very nice FTE member, "Somethingclever", sold me that RPM Air Gap. Things are falling into place!

Old 09-07-2021 | 07:33 PM
ranger140892
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by redroad
The hurricane blew itself out before it got to us. We did have 65 mph winds and lots of rain, but remarkably no structure damage here. The tornado that came through the next day did more damage. And then like a dumbaxe, Saturday I got my legs pinned by a 25k lb chain when it tightened up between a dozer and a tractor. Didn't break any bones, but busted a vein and lots of bruising. What an idiot! Engine build negates all that horse crap though.

Old 09-07-2021 | 08:16 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Club FTE Gold Member
The hurricane blew itself out before it got to us. We did have 65 mph winds and lots of rain, but remarkably no structure damage here. The tornado that came through the next day did more damage. And then like a dumbaxe, Saturday I got my legs pinned by a 25k lb chain when it tightened up between a dozer and a tractor. Didn't break any bones, but busted a vein and lots of bruising. What an idiot! Engine build negates all that horse crap though.
Close one. Someone is looking out for you Go easy Brother

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: 460 score