2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Lots of random codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021 | 01:06 PM
cpobst
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Silver Member
Lots of random codes

Yesterday I noticed my headlights turning off and on, I could see them reflect off the car ahead of me. Airbag light also came on and the stereo ***** wouldn't respond. Then it stopped and all was fine. Happened a few other times since then. I pulled these codes. No CEL though and once I clear them they stay gone. I've read a bad battery can cause random issues like this. Any thoughts?

Old 04-18-2021 | 01:20 PM
cpobst
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Silver Member
I've also had my OBD link plugged in for a week or so. I just thought about that maybe causing the issue? I just unplugged it to see if it makes a difference.

Old 04-18-2021 | 02:03 PM
sneil
Mountain Pass
I had a similar situation on my 2020 F-450 when the batteries started to fail. All sorts of error codes too. I replaced those batteries with Odyssey ODX-AGM65 and all of the errors went away. Also added a battery maintainer/trickle charger to insure they stayed charged if it's not driven regularly.

Old 04-18-2021 | 03:01 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by sneil
I had a similar situation on my 2020 F-450 when the batteries started to fail. All sorts of error codes too. I replaced those batteries with Odyssey ODX-AGM65 and all of the errors went away. Also added a battery maintainer/trickle charger to insure they stayed charged if it's not driven regularly.
Yes! Low chassis voltage will cause all these codes. Go with a high quality set of AGM's like you did.

Old 04-18-2021 | 03:31 PM
cpobst
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Silver Member
Went to Autozone to get them tested and of course it started pouring when I pulled up. I'm guessing this is the issue though. Once it stops raining I'm going back. I'll order some AGM's from there I guess.

Old 04-18-2021 | 03:37 PM
vancouverbrian
More Turbo
I wanted to add that I replaced my battery recently and the tech was talking to me about the Battery Management System. When you change your battery, there is some resetting required. It is in the manual under maintenance and then under changing your battery. You can read about this with this link.

Ford Trucks BMS Battery Monitoring Systems - General Tech Tips - Lockdown Security | LDS Tech Forum (forumbee.com)

Old 04-18-2021 | 04:11 PM
cpobst
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Silver Member
So they tested fine, so not sure what to do now. I noticed that whenever I come to an idle at a light or stop sign is when my airbag light comes on and it throws codes. Also my blinkers are in hyper flash at idle but goes to normal when driving. The Motorcraft batteries are still in the 36month free replacement. They are a replacement set from my first set that went bad about this age.

Old 04-18-2021 | 06:11 PM
KU4OJ
Fleet Mechanic
I still think you have a low voltage issue. Idling at the stop light the alternator isn't putting out the power it would at road speed. By the time you drive to the AutoZone (to do exactly what I would do) the batteries are charged. So I would be looking for one of 3 things:

1. one (or more) of the batteries are failing
2. Alternator issue
3. Connection issue, such as a battery terminal or some such.

Get a Voltmeter and measure battery voltage after sitting for a day or two.

Old 04-18-2021 | 06:23 PM
cpobst
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by KU4OJ
I still think you have a low voltage issue. Idling at the stop light the alternator isn't putting out the power it would at road speed. By the time you drive to the AutoZone (to do exactly what I would do) the batteries are charged. So I would be looking for one of 3 things:

1. one (or more) of the batteries are failing
2. Alternator issue
3. Connection issue, such as a battery terminal or some such.

Get a Voltmeter and measure battery voltage after sitting for a day or two.
I agree with you all, I was watching battery voltage in Forscan and when it would go to 13.8-13.9 is when the weirdness started. If I revved it up it went away and voltage went up. We are in the process of moving and my Fluke is packed up. I'm gonna try to get my Motorcraft batteries warrantied again. I'd like some AGM but $600 vs free......

Old 04-18-2021 | 06:50 PM
cpobst
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Silver Member
Speaking of alternators, how exactly does the dual setup work? What if one goes bad?

Old 04-18-2021 | 08:36 PM
sleddinfool
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by cpobst
I agree with you all, I was watching battery voltage in Forscan and when it would go to 13.8-13.9 is when the weirdness started. If I revved it up it went away and voltage went up. We are in the process of moving and my Fluke is packed up. I'm gonna try to get my Motorcraft batteries warrantied again. I'd like some AGM but $600 vs free......
If they were replaced under warranty the first time and the truck is out of bumper to bumper, I don't think they will replace them for free again. Kevin

Old 04-18-2021 | 08:45 PM
cpobst
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by sleddinfool
If they were replaced under warranty the first time and the truck is out of bumper to bumper, I don't think they will replace them for free again. Kevin
Buying Motorcraft batteries over the counter they have a 36 month free replacement. I had the original set in my Excursion. They started leaking so they got replaced under warranty. I transferred them to my F250 when I bought it. I'm taking them in tomorrow morning to try since they are still within the 36 month replacement period.

Old 04-19-2021 | 06:48 AM
tomfordgt
Tuned
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by vancouverbrian
I wanted to add that I replaced my battery recently and the tech was talking to me about the Battery Management System. When you change your battery, there is some resetting required. It is in the manual under maintenance and then under changing your battery. You can read about this with this link.

Ford Trucks BMS Battery Monitoring Systems - General Tech Tips - Lockdown Security | LDS Tech Forum (forumbee.com)
I'm getting ready to switch batteries and just read your link...... How does one tell if the truck has the "Battery Management System"? ("If equipped")
Thanks

Old 04-19-2021 | 07:56 AM
vancouverbrian
More Turbo
The way I figure things out is to google them. Then I looked at my owner's manual. From reading about this and FORD, it seems that they have been putting this feature in vehicles since 2011. I have a 2017 F350 and will cut and paste from the manual.

Your vehicle is fitted with a Motorcraft maintenance-free battery which normally does not require additional water.
When a battery replacement is required, you must use a recommended replacement battery that matches the electrical requirements of the vehicle.
Note: After cleaning or replacing the battery, make sure you reinstall the battery vent tube, battery cover or shield.
For longer, trouble-free operation, keep the top of the battery clean and dry.
If you see any corrosion on the battery or terminals, remove the cables from the terminals and clean with a wire brush. You can neutralize the acid with a solution of baking soda and water.
Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer, some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and performance. Flexible fuel vehicles (FFV) must also relearn the ethanol content of the fuel for optimum driveability and performance.
To restore the settings, do the following:
  1. Apply the parking brake.
  1. Shift into park (P) or neutral (N).
  1. Switch off all accessories.
  1. Press the brake pedal and start your vehicle.
  1. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature. While the engine is warming up, complete the following: Reset the clock. Reset the power windows bounce-back feature. See Windows and Mirrors. Reset the radio station presets.
    See Audio System.
  1. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
  1. Drive the vehicle at least 10 mi (16 km) to completely relearn the idle trim and fuel trim strategy.
Note: If you do not allow the engine to relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy, the idle quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the engine computer eventually relearns the idle trim and fuel trim strategy.
Note: For flexible fuel vehicles, if you are operating on E85, you may experience poor starts or an inability to start the engine and driveability problems until the fuel trim and ethanol content have been relearned.
Make sure that you dispose of old batteries in an environmentally friendly way. Seek advice from your local authority about recycling old batteries.
If storing your vehicle for more than 30 days without recharging the battery, we recommend that you disconnect the negative battery cable to maintain battery charge for quick starting.
Battery Management System
The battery management system monitors battery conditions and takes actions to extend battery life. If excessive battery drain is detected, the system temporarily disables some electrical systems to protect the battery.
Systems included are:
  • Heated rear window.
  • Heated seats.
  • Climate control.
  • Heated steering wheel.
  • Audio unit.
  • Navigation system.
A message may appear in the information displays to alert you that battery protection actions are active. These messages are only for notification that an action is taking place, and not intended to indicate an electrical problem or that the battery requires replacement.
After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the battery management system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time to relearn the battery state of charge. During this time your vehicle must remain fully locked with the ignition switched off.
Note: Prior to relearning the battery state of charge, the battery management system may temporarily disable some electrical systems.
Electrical Accessory Installation
To make sure the battery management system works correctly, do not connect an electrical device ground connection directly to the battery negative post. This can cause inaccurate measurements of the battery condition and potential incorrect system operation.

The reason I posted it in reply to the random codes, is if you don't reset your computer, it can cause issues from what I have read about it. I have no idea why his codes are happening, but thought others might learn something by mentioning it. If a FORD dealer changes your batteries, they have a way to hook directly into the computer and reset without doing these steps in the owner's manual.

Old 04-19-2021 | 01:01 PM
cpobst
|
Cargo Master
Club FTE Silver Member
I reset the bms with Forscan after changing out the batteries. Ford said they were good but they were leaking so they did a free warranty exchange. The same thing is happening. I am wondering if it isn't an alternator issue? I am going to run down to a local starter/alternator shop that I know and talk to them. The issues only happen when I am slowing or stopped and the truck is at idle. My HVAC system will totally shut off also along with the other issues I previously mentioned. As soon as I hit the throttle it all goes back to normal.

Quick Reply: Lots of random codes