Wireless backup/security camera which one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021 | 08:19 PM
greenno
|
Tuned
Wireless backup/security camera which one?

Anyone have a good idea on installing an aftermarket small weatherproof wireless camera on the rear of a truck camper? Usually I carry bikes on a bike rack ( with cover if needed ) and I want to check on it from time to time when driving to make sure all is bueno. Another point is having it also as a security cam off the back end when boon docking. Ideally I would like to be able to view it on my iPhone instead of having a separate display. The reason this came up is I just got back from Baja and there was a guy with a truck camper a ways down that was pulling onto the main road from a dirt road going to ? and his bikes on the back were BARELY hanging on. I know I could drop a hitch mount on the front and carry the bikes there and see them all day long but that's not my first choice. Seems like most security cams are WIFI and that won't really help when driving down the road or in the middle of nowhere. Im open to any ideas. Thanks

Old 04-09-2021 | 08:30 PM
muhford
Posting Guru
What kind of bike rack are you using? It sounds like you don't trust it. The bike racks that hold the bike by the tires are the best IMO. There's almost no way to lose a bike out of one. I've seen bikes falling out of cheap bike racks, the ones that hold the frame. With a quality bike rack you won't feel the need for a camera.

Old 04-09-2021 | 09:07 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I use a Garmin on the dash with their wireless camera. Use it for rear view and backup as necessary. Then take Garmin in camper and it becomes a security system when camped. Both for the price of one.

Steve

Old 04-09-2021 | 09:56 PM
greenno
|
Tuned
Will check out the garmin thanks. Here's the bike rack, Thule it's a good one. Muhford I was local 569 out here in San Diego since the late 70's till I retired in 2012. Keep on brother.

Old 04-09-2021 | 10:09 PM
muhford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by greenno
Will check out the garmin thanks. Here's the bike rack, Thule it's a good one. Muhford I was local 569 out here in San Diego since the late 70's till I retired in 2012. Keep on brother.
Hope you are enjoying retirement. Mounting biking will keep you young. I've seen some old dudes out on the trail that I couldn't keep up with. If you ever find yourself in Iowa or Illinois we actually have some pretty nice trails.

Friends of Off-Road Cycling - QC Friends of Off Road Cycling Home

Old 04-10-2021 | 07:15 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
My wife and I are also avid bikers, although purely recreation level. We use a Rocky Mount swing-out bike rack so we can swing the bikes out of the way and extend our steps once we arrive and the rack stays on the truck unless we are unloading the camper.

For our Garmin we have one that monitors forward when using the GPS, so it record in case of an impact,but can be switched to the rear camera at any time. I wired the power for the camera from the camper supply and installed a switch so the camera is always hot once it is switched on, which we do before heading out (amp draw is very minimal). Once we arrive, we just take the Garmin off the dash and bring it inside the camper and plug it into a 12 VDC receptacle there. So far our Garmin has really withstood the test of time (knock on wood). We have had it for years with nary a problem.

Steve

Old 04-10-2021 | 10:15 AM
greenno
|
Tuned
Steve which Garmin camera are you using, the dash cam one? Just use an app on your phone and not a separate monitor? Weatherproof camera or inside only? The Thule rack works great I made a 40" extension that bolts into my existing truck hitch receiver so it doesn't wobble or move around and then the rack slides into that and tighten's up with the wedge piece inside to keep it from moving and when bikes are loaded on I can tilt the rack back and it gives me enough room to lower the entry steps down and enter the camper if we want.Thanks

Old 04-10-2021 | 10:27 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I am using the Garmin Nuvicam LMTHD with dash cam built-in so if you get hit or impacted it retains the prior 30 seconds of driving I think it is. Then if you want the rear camera on the camper, you just tap the screen and it is right there for the rear view. The model I have has been updated and replaced by newer models. The camera mounts right above the camper door on the outside and is very small and easy to mount. It has a wide angle lens so you see to the back as well as to each side and right down on the bumper if you choose. We are loading the camper now to leave tomorrow so I will try to shoot some pictures and post them later.

The bike rack sounds great!

Steve

Old 04-10-2021 | 11:08 AM
Wing Nut Bert
Senior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
My wife and I are also avid bikers, although purely recreation level. We use a Rocky Mount swing-out bike rack so we can swing the bikes out of the way and extend our steps once we arrive and the rack stays on the truck unless we are unloading the camper.

For our Garmin we have one that monitors forward when using the GPS, so it record in case of an impact,but can be switched to the rear camera at any time. I wired the power for the camera from the camper supply and installed a switch so the camera is always hot once it is switched on, which we do before heading out (amp draw is very minimal). Once we arrive, we just take the Garmin off the dash and bring it inside the camper and plug it into a 12 VDC receptacle there. So far our Garmin has really withstood the test of time (knock on wood). We have had it for years with nary a problem.

Steve
That looks like a stout carrier. Swing out seems to be just the ticket for when the TC is on.

Was behind a sedan the other day. Had a sad little hitch receiver(1" maybe) and a cheap looking carrier. The pair of $2000+ fatbikes that were on it were bobbling violently in all directions. Not the place to go cheap. Boggles the mind.

Old 04-10-2021 | 02:09 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Here a shot of the inside and outside with the camera which connects wirelessly to the Garmin on our dash. Connection is automatic and near instant as soon as the camera on the camper is switched on. The switch is lighted so it is easy to tell when it is powered up.

The inside shot shows the sender from the camera. Garmin supplies more than enough wire connecting the camera to the wireless sender and rather than cut and splice anything, I fabed a metal cover out of aluminum sheeting on the sheet metal brake I have in the garage. There is a switched light in the closet and the camera switch is mounted on that closet wall and spliced into the power supply leading to the light switch. The hole for the wire to the camera is very small, less than 1/4" and I used one of the screws on the door trim to hold the camera mount. As you can see the camera is very small, gives a pretty good picture, and is wide angle so it encompasses a lot of territory behind the camper. If I didn't have to hide the wires the entire install would have taken less than 30 minutes.

Old 04-12-2021 | 12:57 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
That is super clean and nicely done

Old 09-06-2021 | 07:13 PM
gerlacha
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by RV_Tech

Steve
That’s exactly what we are looking to try to do. What did you wire into in the camper to make it hot?

Old 09-06-2021 | 07:47 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
For the camera it can be wired to any hot source. We had a circuit in a rear closet was easy to tap and I added a switch to turn the camera off and on. The Garmin just plugs into a 12 VDC jack in the camper. The camera to Garmin is wireless and so far has worked without a hitch.

Old 09-06-2021 | 08:57 PM
gerlacha
Cross-Country
Very clean. Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-06-2021 | 09:11 PM
_hedge_
Senior User
I have that same Garmin system even the same NuviCam, with the BC30 camera. I find the signal is fine but the camera is circa-2015 and the resolution is pretty poor (240p). I'm looking at getting something better.

For the wiring I wired mine to the 7-pin reverse wire on the camper umbilical so it came on when I switched to reverse. I also wanted to control it any time I wanted so added a second feed controlled by an upfitter switch. If you go this way be sure to add a blocking diode on the reverse wire so that you don't backfeed your backup lights when you turn the switch on.

Quick Reply: Wireless backup/security camera which one?