2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150

Max Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021 | 02:42 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
From my understanding the MaxTow was one specific combination. crewcab 6.5' bed 3.5EB, 3.55 and 2wd 18,400lb GCWR. From Ford online charts it shows 13,200lbs tow rating. When you deviate from that platform, the tow rating drops(If you drop to 3.73 gears the tow rating drops to 11,800 tow rating and 17,100 GCWR

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content..._F150_Oct9.pdf

Yes!!! Finally someone points out the unicorn max tow truck. To be more specific that truck is the following.

157" WB SCREW 4x2, XL trim, STX, 3.5, Max Tow Package.

This combination gives the highest tow rating and and STX Package gives the 20" wheels which are needed for the spring, frame and swaybar auto upgrade. This also gives you the highest payload at 2150lbs as equipped. This is why the option term Max Tow is misleading. Just because the truck was optioned with the Max tow package it doesn't mean it can pull the maximum weight. Especially if ordered on a high trim, short wheelbase or you forgot to make sure the truck has 20" wheels. Then you progressively go down the ladder.

Old 04-08-2021 | 03:18 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
It's very confusing for people how "THE truck with the highest towing rating" is NOT the same as "a truck with the max tow package".

Old 04-08-2021 | 03:34 PM
JKBrad
Club FTE Gold Member
In my opinion no one should be towing anywhere close to the max ratings, even if the truck is rated for it. The max is for that odd time you need to pick up a heavy trailer or load yours heavier than usual, not for regular use.

Old 04-08-2021 | 04:26 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Club FTE Gold Member
I'm confused (normal) - I thought OP was specifically asking about the "Max Tow Package" and how you can tell if an F150 in the year range he is considering, had that package. He didn't ask: How do I find a truck in these model years with the Maximum Towing Capacity. Perhaps his interest in what he's looking for has morphed from the original Q.

When we ordered our truck it was a tremendous value, as well as some, I'll say hidden, features you only got if you you got a truck optioned with the "Max Tow Package" - the Ford document talks of a HD bumper (paraphrasing), but in fact it's the receiver hitch that is beefier...

Interestingly, we didn't order 20s yet we got the upgraded swaybar on our truck with 18s...

Old 04-08-2021 | 04:32 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I'm confused (normal) - I thought OP was specifically asking about the "Max Tow Package" and how you can tell if an F150 in the year range he is considering, had that package. ...

Ford document talks of a HD bumper (paraphrasing), but in fact it's the receiver hitch that is beefier...

I think you are correct, it seems this thread has veered a bit.
Actually, there is a component of the bumper 'system' that is also beefier, I don't know the name. It's a support piece that goes all the way across and can be seen above the bumper and under the tailgate (it is painted the same color as the rest of the truck).

Old 04-08-2021 | 04:37 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Yes!!! Finally someone points out the unicorn max tow truck. To be more specific that truck is the following.

157" WB SCREW 4x2, XL trim, STX, 3.5, Max Tow Package.

This combination gives the highest tow rating and and STX Package gives the 20" wheels which are needed for the spring, frame and swaybar auto upgrade. This also gives you the highest payload at 2150lbs as equipped. This is why the option term Max Tow is misleading. Just because the truck was optioned with the Max tow package it doesn't mean it can pull the maximum weight. Especially if ordered on a high trim, short wheelbase or you forgot to make sure the truck has 20" wheels. Then you progressively go down the ladder.
You sure about that highest payload???

Old 04-08-2021 | 04:53 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
Actually, there is a component of the bumper 'system' that is also beefier, I don't know the name. It's a support piece that goes all the way across and can be seen above the bumper and under the tailgate (it is painted the same color as the rest of the truck).
Thanks - I didn't know that about the bumper component - it makes sense as two are working together...

Old 04-09-2021 | 07:27 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by CR172
You sure about that highest payload???
Yes I am sure, for the 13,200lb tow rating the configuration I posted above is what Ford used for the SAE rating. The truck you posted is not a crew cab. The EX1 tells me that's a supercab, the trucks that hit the highest ratings will be W1C and W1E trucks.

Old 04-09-2021 | 07:29 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
Umm it's a welded bracket behind the license plate bumper cover. It is part of the hitch and doesn't run all the way across.

Old 04-09-2021 | 08:50 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Umm it's a welded bracket behind the license plate bumper cover. It is part of the hitch and doesn't run all the way across.
Good info, thanks. I thought it was a different piece.

Old 04-09-2021 | 09:01 AM
ford141
|
Laughing Gas
Guys, I'm not really interested in towing the absolute maximum. That's what my 78 Crew Cab Cummins is for. I was just interested in "tells" that would indicate the "max tow option" by looking at pictures online, mostly to ensure I was getting some of the heavier duty options (heavier GVWR, extra coolers, lower gears, etc.). I've realized it's not that easy.

I should be in Virginia buying a 2015 F150 Platinum at this very minute, but unfortunately the very sleezy dealer gave the runaround. First B.S. they pulled was adding $500 to the price for "Acid Etching" that would etch the VIN into the glass and frame so supposedly the truck could be identified in case of loss, as well as $700 for a GPS tracker on the truck. We worked on the deal enough that i wasn't that concerned about the price but a GPS tracker was a deal breaker for me. He eventually conceded that he would "deactivate" the tracker and agreed to show me where it was hidden and give me the schematics as to how it was wired so I could remove it. Fine.

Next B.S. was that after we already had a deal reached he backed out of taking my 08 Yukon Denali on trade because he said the CarFax shows an airbag had deployed in the past, and that they couldn't buy anything with airbag deployment in the past. I was unaware of this, but I'm not the first owner, so OK, whatever. I can sell it outright.

Then, right before actually leaving on the 7 hour drive to finalize and pick up the truck, he calls and says that he cannot sell me the truck because it has a "safety issue" and won't pass safety inspection. Mind you, this is after he told me it passed Virginia state safety inspection with flying colors. He claims it needs a "part" that is currently unavailable due to the pandemic (lots of thing blamed on this right now) and that they will be sending it to auction. I pressed him for information on the issue but he wouldn't give any. I offered to work out another deal to save him a loss at the auction but no dice. Really glad I didn't listen when he told me 5 or 6 times to "just drive down here and get in the building and we'll work out the details then". I wanted to have a pretty firm deal in writing prior to the trip so that I didn't waste 14hours on a round trip. Oh well, I'll just keep searching.

Old 04-10-2021 | 08:15 AM
SpencerPJ
Laughing Gas
Sounds like a blessing in disguise. Your right truck will come along, good luck.

Old 04-10-2021 | 09:16 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Yup, 100% sleaze bag dealer. That is a $200 at MOST to do vin etching

Old 04-11-2021 | 07:34 AM
SpencerPJ
Laughing Gas
A tip. If you spy a nice truck online. Go to their website, browse around for associates, look at bios, and find a salesperson that has been with the company many years. Usually they are more knowledgeable and less sleezy salespeople, just sayin. Never just show up and take 'next in line salesperson'.

Old 04-16-2021 | 01:03 PM
ford141
|
Laughing Gas
Search is over. After searching Auto Trader for 2 weeks, talking to countless sketchy salesman, and getting screwed out of 3 different trucks that I had reached verbal deals on over the phone (one sold an hour before I could get there, the other 2 were pulled from retail for "safety issues" after we had reached deals on them), I was getting very frustrated. There is a local dealer about a half hour from me that specializes in used trucks (Griffith Auto in Home, Pa, btw) and I'm friends with the owners and have bought my last 3 vehicles from them. I had been checking their site during this whole time but they didn't have anything in stock that appealed to me, but out of frustration I finally sent them a message and told them what I was looking for so they could keep an eye out if they got something. They immediately wrote back and told me about a 2016 Platinum that they just picked up, and was not yet cleaned or reconditioned in any way. I said, great, I'm on my way. Short story, I got a great deal on an as-is, as-traded 2016 Platinum that needs some work, but is a solid, non-damaged truck. It needs tires and brakes, but I saved enough on it to pay for a level kit and 35s, which will be here next week. It is disgustingly dirty, running boards are stuck down, moonroof is stuck, and likely needs fluids serviced, but nbd, all stuff I can handle myself. I hate white, but the tri-coat white isn't horrible, and I couldn't pass up the deal because of the color. Drivetrain is exactly what I wanted, 3.5 Eco with 3.55 gears, locker, and Fx4 package as a bonus. It also has the built-in trailer brake controller like I wanted, although I don't think it is a "max tow" (don't know since I don't have the window sticker for it). Overall I'm thrilled. Didn't have to travel far, didn't have to deal with sleezy dealerships, and got the deal I wanted with cash left for attitude adjustment. The Platinum is a ridiculous package, I was laughing on the way home at the incredible massaging seats and the lane assist (which corrected me as I was messing with the ridiculous entertainment system). Big upgrade from my 08 Denali. Don't worry, I won't get too spoiled by the gadgets, my 78 F350 crew cab keeps me in check, with no modern comforts, and is still my favorite truck. I'll have that one forever.

Quick Reply: Max Tow Package