120 hp cummins in a Jailbar Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021 | 11:22 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
I'm really looking forward to your 6 cylinder tonner pickup build thread. But I'm weird like that.

Old 12-13-2021 | 04:24 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
I'm an infrequent visitor here too, but here we are--Greg and Fred and I--for a little 48-56 forum meet up with the legendary GB. GB responded to my very first thread on "Patina or Rust". I remember he recommended using old license plates to make rust repairs on my tuck's floors. It sounded like a good idea to me at the time. I just didn't have a supply of license plates.

It was good checking in with you today, GB. Good luck with your latest project(s).

Jim

Old 12-14-2021 | 10:15 PM
GB SISSON
|
Lead Driver
Club FTE Gold Member
Thanks Jim, somewhere along the line I switched to road signs which were mostly aluminum. Later I learned to weld and I sought out the earlier steel road signs. Everything new is old again! Got some more jailbars on this old girl and made a driver side window out of 1/4" plexiglass. During tje pandemic I was called upon by many local retailers to make plexiglass sneeze guards for their checkstands. Of course there were leftover scraps. The tonner had a steel frame around the door glass and it was a perfect fit onto the plexi. I also rebuilt and lubed the window regulator and door latch. All my other trucks are 'done' and it's winter and needed a project.....

Old 12-14-2021 | 10:20 PM
GB SISSON
|
Lead Driver
Club FTE Gold Member
This photo above is at a gas station that I think is along the Columbia River when I picked up this tonner East of the mountains. It is a dry region once you get over the Cascade range. Sheet metal is good over there.

Old 12-14-2021 | 10:29 PM
GB SISSON
|
Lead Driver
Club FTE Gold Member
Jailbar ranch and the 6cyl wanna be isn't even shown here.

The following 2 users liked this post by GB SISSON:
Old 12-14-2021 | 11:22 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
That's quite an impressive collection to be proud of GB. Each of your jailbars is unique, and I'm sure lived an interesting life--before and after settling down on your little jailbar ranch.

We visited the northern California and southern Oregon coast this summer, but didn't quite get to your neighborhood. What we saw was spectacular, and seeing more of the beautiful Pacific Northwest is definitely on my bucket list.

Jim

Edit: GB's memory is better than mine. It was road signs he recommended for rust repair patches. I didn't have any of those at the time either.

Old 12-15-2021 | 05:31 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Now that you have a weather tight cab you have to finish the truck. Add a heater and it is winter ready!

Old 11-21-2022 | 09:59 PM
GB SISSON
|
Lead Driver
Club FTE Gold Member
Hey, It has been way too long! Some pics from last winter into spring. This old green tonner has taken longer than usual. I have 5 grandkids now and will be 70 in May. Still working full time in the woodshop, well full time is a 9:00 start and quittin' time is now like 3:30. The H six is a nice smooth, quiet engine and pulls the hills quite nicely. Still no heater though . The six needs the battery on the driver side so I fabbed up a battery box which unfortunately covers the truck's serial number. I took a bunch of photos of the SN, printed them and stuck them in an envelope with the title. Of course it will unbolt if really needed. I installed new (old) bedwood and removed, cleaned and coated the fuel tank. All new brake cylinders, hoses, lines, the works. Kingpins, tie rod ends. I welded a pc of 3/4" black pipe across the bottom of tailgate as the factory tube was missing. Mixed up some flat green paint to match up parts from other trucks or to blend in rust repairs. I never quite got it finished (what's that?) before this winter set in. I have a license plate to do a YOM registration, but haven't been to DMV to finalize. Instead of working on the green tonner all summer, I opted to cruise many island miles in my Toyota/Jailbar franken-jalopy. I gotta say it's a blast to drive with the smooth shifting 4 speed, factory PS, 3.70 gears and no roof or doors. I did finally fab up a roadster windshield so I could drive without goggles. I'll get some pics on that soon. Maybe a separate thread. I have already hijacked my own diesel thread.......

Old 11-22-2022 | 05:44 AM
bernette
Cargo Master
nice gary !

Old 11-22-2022 | 08:10 AM
51504BAT
More Turbo
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
Hey, It has been way too long! Some pics from last winter into spring. This old green tonner has taken longer than usual. I have 5 grandkids now and will be 70 in May. Still working full time in the woodshop, well full time is a 9:00 start and quittin' time is now like 3:30. The H six is a nice smooth, quiet engine and pulls the hills quite nicely. Still no heater though . The six needs the battery on the driver side so I fabbed up a battery box which unfortunately covers the truck's serial number. I took a bunch of photos of the SN, printed them and stuck them in an envelope with the title. Of course it will unbolt if really needed. I installed new (old) bedwood and removed, cleaned and coated the fuel tank. All new brake cylinders, hoses, lines, the works. Kingpins, tie rod ends. I welded a pc of 3/4" black pipe across the bottom of tailgate as the factory tube was missing. Mixed up some flat green paint to match up parts from other trucks or to blend in rust repairs. I never quite got it finished (what's that?) before this winter set in. I have a license plate to do a YOM registration, but haven't been to DMV to finalize. Instead of working on the green tonner all summer, I opted to cruise many island miles in my Toyota/Jailbar franken-jalopy. I gotta say it's a blast to drive with the smooth shifting 4 speed, factory PS, 3.70 gears and no roof or doors. I did finally fab up a roadster windshield so I could drive without goggles. I'll get some pics on that soon. Maybe a separate thread. I have already hijacked my own diesel thread.......

Gary, I've got an old ad on heater form I guess the '30's/'40's you can have if interested. I'm never going to put it in my'39p/u.The heater needs some love but its all there. PM me here or on the Barn if you're interested and I'll send you some photos. Should fit in a USPS flat rate box no problem.
Tim

Old 11-22-2022 | 08:21 AM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Nice work as usual GB!

Old 11-22-2022 | 11:18 AM
GB SISSON
|
Lead Driver
Club FTE Gold Member
OK, another hijack on my diesel thread. Just wanted to get a couple pics showing my roadster windshield. Has plexiglass in right now, but just picked up the cut safety glass while on the mainland.

The following 2 users liked this post by GB SISSON:
Old 11-22-2022 | 09:05 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Nice, paint it od, and it would look like an export WW2 behicle.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-22-2022 | 10:09 PM
GB SISSON
|
Lead Driver
Club FTE Gold Member
I was inspired by this 38 military vehicle. This 38 uses a factory cowl very much like the one I fitted to my toyota chassis. I am often tempted to paint it a flat desert tan with some division numbers etc stenciled onto it. What I don't like about that is the lack of contrast with all the tacoma cream. Whole thing would just be tan. I use my imagination and think back to when I was a kid. War surplus jeeps plowing snow, hauling game, riding the dunes, doing chores.... Very few were still OD. The ones I remember were painted red or yellow or some other civillian color. Maybe they wanted the war years behind them. My imagination takes me to my blue jalopy havinbg been military, bought as surplus and painted a bright blue during the optomistic 1950s, now fading but still as handy as a pocket knife. I still cruise CL for cj2a's etc, but try to hold myself in check. And I wonder why I can't afford to retire........

Old 11-24-2022 | 11:48 AM
tinman52
Welder User
Club FTE Silver Member
Awesome lineup of trucks you have there Gary! Love the roadster pickup.
Happy Holidays!

Quick Reply: 120 hp cummins in a Jailbar Pickup