2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2021 F450 leveling

Old 01-13-2021, 06:46 PM
jdkinzenbaw
Freshman User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 F450 leveling

Hi all,

What is the best way to choose between the many options of leveling my soon-to-arrive 2021 F450 King Ranch? I don't necessarily want to lift it... just level the front a bit for the overall appearance.

It sounds like there are options from a variety of suppliers. What do I need to know about their quality Do? Do I want a coil spring leveling lift or just use spacers? Sounds like the track bar setup will need to be modified as well.

I dont want to spend a fortune, but I also want to keep reliability and quality. I guess I'm looking for the Good/Better/Best approaches and the pros and cons of each. I've tried searching the forum but there's a lot of content to sort through and try to make sense of.

Thanks in advance
Jonathan

Old 01-14-2021, 06:52 AM
cpobst
Cargo Master
Received 932 Likes on 470 Posts
My opinion, they look dang good stock. I see a lot of "leveled" trucks that look goofy with the front looking higher than the rear. In this picture it looks level from the factory. I am not sure how others judge level but I look at fender well gap.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:37 AM
ddboring
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just picked mine up a few weeks ago, it sits pretty level. If towing with it a leveling kit may be a bit much. When i hook a trailer to it with a load it drops a few inches in the rear.
I think i may go with a kelderman air ride in the rear for a better ride and that could be used to give the appearance you are looking for. Just my 2 pennies.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:45 AM
jdkinzenbaw
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ddboring
Just picked mine up a few weeks ago, it sits pretty level. If towing with it a leveling kit may be a bit much. When i hook a trailer to it with a load it drops a few inches in the rear.
I think i may go with a kelderman air ride in the rear for a better ride and that could be used to give the appearance you are looking for. Just my 2 pennies.
Sadly, it won't be a Kelderman for us any more in the future. I live an hour away from the Kelderman factory where those are built. They installed the full system on my 2011 about 5 years ago. The ride of the Kelderman is awesome, but the install job they did was shoddy at best. The box where the air compressor is located is not sealed, and they mounted it right behind the left rear tire up inside. Then, the wiring on it was poorly done... the connections weren't sealed as well as I'd have expected. Overall, the physical design of the mechanical and air parts of the system were pretty decent, but we had multiple instances where we got caught more than 4 hours from home with a suspension system that wouldn't inflate, and the only way to fix it is to pull the whole system down and work on it. So there was no fixing it "on the road". My wife and kids and I had to drive those four hours home on the interstate, very carefully, with what little air had stayed in the bags, but mostly the tire flex was all we had for suspension. It made me nervous, especially since it was a 15 degree day outside. This system should have been designed so you could at least pull into an automotive shop and run some air in the bags manually in the event of a compressor failure.

The next truck will have stock suspension, at most maybe a leveling kit, which I'm still debating. Kelderman is great for a show truck but if you want to have it on a truck you'll own for more than a couple of years, good luck. We've been very disappointed. Looks like they're turning into more of an Instagram/Show Truck company rather than offering reliable, practical solutions. It's sad...

Old 01-14-2021, 11:13 AM
ddboring
4wd Low
Well i appreciate the honesty on the Kelderman. I had thought they were top notch when it came to the air systems for light duty. Connections under the truck are as important as what it is powering. I do like the 450 so far, it sits quite nice and a trailer makes it dead level.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:20 AM
jdkinzenbaw
Freshman User
Well, I really like the ride of the Kelderman overall. And it makes me sad since they're the only company out there offering a proper air-type suspension for these trucks. But unless they've decided to get serious about the professionalism of their install, I'd stay away. It may be worth a phone call to really search all that out. You might do your homework and end up with a good experience. Mine sure wasn't a good one, but I'll miss having the auto-leveling suspension, for sure.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:50 AM
ddboring
4wd Low
Old 01-14-2021, 02:24 PM
JVburg
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a pic of my ‘20 450.. I like how it sits from the factory. I looked at a bunch of stock pics before I ordered, and I found that adding the heavy front suspension alone was my preference for how it makes the stance.. And I honestly can’t tell a difference in ride quality.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-14-2021, 02:26 PM
cpobst
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JVburg
Here is a pic of my ‘20 450.. I like how it sits from the factory. I looked at a bunch of stock pics before I ordered, and I found that adding the heavy front suspension alone was my preference for how it makes the stance.. And I honestly can’t tell a difference in ride quality.
That is sweet! Nose high trucks look like garbage.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:28 PM
jdkinzenbaw
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JVburg
that truck looks great!!!!

Old 01-14-2021, 11:35 PM
JVburg
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jdkinzenbaw
that truck looks great!!!!
Thanks! If you didn’t order the heavy front suspension option on your truck, I would definitely consider adding the heavier factory springs that come in that package. They are pretty reasonable, and every 450 that I have seen with them sits nice from the factory.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:14 PM
brandon4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 286 Likes on 134 Posts

2.5" leveling in front 2" taller block in rear. 285 tires. Bilstein shocks. Tows the toy hauler really smooth.
The truck has the snowplow springs as well.
Alcoa wheels

Old 10-20-2021, 01:53 PM
powerstroking707
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon4

2.5" leveling in front 2" taller block in rear. 285 tires. Bilstein shocks. Tows the toy hauler really smooth.
The truck has the snowplow springs as well.
Alcoa wheels
Are those 285 tires mounted on the OEM 19.5 x 6.75 wheels?

Old 10-20-2021, 01:59 PM
406f150
Laughing Gas
Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts
The OEM wheels are only 6" wide. Says he used Alcoa wheels.

Old 10-20-2021, 03:32 PM
cpobst
Cargo Master
According to Alcoa, their wheels for the F450 are also 6" wide.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2021 F450 leveling