2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

ARE Caps.. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020 | 02:55 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
I have the z series but think there are better manufactures out there for frame less glass tops.

I saw a z series stule top that had better body stlye fit as well as obvious framed reenfocement with roof caps that cover usable bolt areas that transfer weight to the frame.

are told me they did not offer reenforced z series.

spent 3k on my z series and if I had to do it all over again I would forgo all these Kmart grade tops and go with a space cap. The space cap I was looking at with all the bells and whistles was just short of 10k.

thete is a lot of flimsy, loose, air space, gummy rig plastic to make one mold fit all, and they don’t follow body lines very well . You don’t know how bad it is until you get a leer, are, snug top, century, etc.

I put the decked drawer system in mine that way I wouldn’t be laying in a puddle of water whenever it rains.

and let’s not even talk about the rear window edge trim....

Old 11-10-2020 | 03:21 PM
Smoking Joe
Tuned
Originally Posted by hindy
The dealer did raise it. I told them I wanted to see some black bed rail which they told me they have never had anyone request this. It is still very close but I don't think they could raise it any more without having it look weird. I was going to look into releasing the clamps and push the cap out a little and retighten. Haven't looked at this option and don't even know if this is possible.
I had to wait until daylight, here are the pics of mine. The owner has the same exact truck so he did the R&D to figure out the seal. He was pissed when he found out the installer initially put the wrong seal on and scratched the paint and the bed rails. (Again they went above and beyond to make it right). Its about a 3/8" gap now. And the cap does not sit that high and look funny.

Old 11-10-2020 | 03:33 PM
Spooledsrt
Tuned
I just had a Z series installed a few weeks ago along with the bedrug. Had just the rails added too incase I want to add anything up there. It took about 3 months to come in. I added some running board lights to the inside that I had laying around. I'm extremely happy with it so far. The white platinum was an exact match, I was worried about that.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-10-2020 | 03:42 PM
Smoking Joe
Tuned
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I have the z series but think there are better manufactures out there for frame less glass tops.
do tell. I like my z series, but there are some things I do not like. Squeaky shocks rough. The bottom of the rails scratch the bed rails when I take it off. Load bearing capacity is farely low at 250 lbs.

I saw a z series stule top that had better body stlye fit as well as obvious framed reenfocement with roof caps that cover usable bolt areas that transfer weight to the frame.
manufacturer and model?

are told me they did not offer reenforced z series.
Agree, I was told the same thing.

spent 3k on my z series and if I had to do it all over again I would forgo all these Kmart grade tops and go with a space cap. The space cap I was looking at with all the bells and whistles was just short of 10k.
ok, you had my interest right up until you said $10k. In the context of a 3k top, this is a little silly. By that logic, if I wanted to spend 3 1/2 times the cost of my truck, too, I'd just buy a Mercedes G63 AMG 6x6.

thete is a lot of flimsy, loose, air space, gummy rig plastic to make one mold fit all, and they don’t follow body lines very well . You don’t know how bad it is until you get a leer, are, snug top, century, etc.
I'm not even sure what you mean here, but it sounds like your angry at this point instead of providing constructure criticism for the OP. I'm sure its grounded in experience...just tell him what you mean.

I put the decked drawer system in mine that way I wouldn’t be laying in a puddle of water whenever it rains.
this sounds like an instalation and seal problem. I have not experienced this and it IS a concern of mine. How do you like the drawers. Who did you go with?

and let’s not even talk about the rear window edge trim....
Totally agree on this! The new version got rid of it and landed 1 month after I bought mine. The dealer had to know it was coming and should have said something. This sir is your best comment that everyone getting a cap should be aware of as a disclaimer.

Here's what I think he means. It is a flap attached to the glass that you aren't supposed to touch when you shut the back glass. Its super annoying. They designed it away, but anyone that has it probably hates it.

Old 11-10-2020 | 03:43 PM
SteveKoz
|
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Spooledsrt
I just had a Z series installed a few weeks ago along with the bedrug. Had just the rails added too incase I want to add anything up there.
Are all the rails the same? What brand did you go for? Thanks!

Old 11-10-2020 | 04:17 PM
hindy
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Smoking Joe
I had to wait until daylight, here are the pics of mine. The owner has the same exact truck so he did the R&D to figure out the seal. He was pissed when he found out the installer initially put the wrong seal on and scratched the paint and the bed rails. (Again they went above and beyond to make it right). Its about a 3/8" gap now. And the cap does not sit that high and look funny.
That does look nice raised. I guarantee the dealer who installed mine has the wrong seal since when they took it off to send back, I only saw blocks underneath which did scratch the bed rails. Do you know what seal they used? I would be interested.

Old 11-10-2020 | 06:48 PM
Smoking Joe
Tuned
Originally Posted by hindy
That does look nice raised. I guarantee the dealer who installed mine has the wrong seal since when they took it off to send back, I only saw blocks underneath which did scratch the bed rails. Do you know what seal they used? I would be interested.
I'll try and find out.

Old 11-10-2020 | 07:24 PM
hindy
More Turbo
I'll try and find out.
Many thanks!

Old 11-10-2020 | 07:28 PM
Spooledsrt
Tuned
Originally Posted by SteveKoz
Are all the rails the same? What brand did you go for? Thanks!
They supply the rails when you add the option during ordering, I think they work with both Thule and Yakima but I could be wrong. You can ask when ordering, I think you can buy the cross bars also to go with it. Might work with other brand too, depending what mounts/feet they use. I figured to add it to the order so it would be under warranty. If you were to add them later it voids the warranty.

Old 11-11-2020 | 08:36 AM
OffBalance
Elder User
My A.R.E. dealer told me yesterday, when I was placing my order, that they add the tracks after the cap arrives at their shop. They feel that they have a much better way to install them that is more trouble-free than the factory installation. They still order the caps with the extra fiberglass reinforcement for the tracks, if I understood them correctly.

They've been doing it this way for the past 20 years, and say they are the second largest A.R.E. dealer in the U.S..

Old 11-11-2020 | 09:13 AM
Spooledsrt
Tuned
Originally Posted by OffBalance
My A.R.E. dealer told me yesterday, when I was placing my order, that they add the tracks after the cap arrives at their shop. They feel that they have a much better way to install them that is more trouble-free than the factory installation. They still order the caps with the extra fiberglass reinforcement for the tracks, if I understood them correctly.

They've been doing it this way for the past 20 years, and say they are the second largest A.R.E. dealer in the U.S..
What trouble are they having with them?
I dont trust dealers, that's why I call around the area. One dealer wanted $500+ for the remote rear lock which is waaay over what I payed. Not to mention the range in prices from dealer to dealer. I ended up with more for less than some quotes on a no option cap, I'm talking hundreds. Ridiculous

Old 11-11-2020 | 11:44 AM
1dryfly
Mountain Pass
I like ARE tops but the long wait time was not going to work for me. I went with a Snugtop shell, the wait time was 3 weeks and I’m very happy with it.

Old 11-11-2020 | 11:46 AM
wmcneil
Mountain Pass
Here's what I think he means. It is a flap attached to the glass that you aren't supposed to touch when you shut the back glass. Its super annoying. They designed it away, but anyone that has it probably hates it.
Smoking Joe,
I ordered a Z on 10/29, so not clear if I get the "new" design or not. So this flap that you mention above that you aren't supposed to touch, I'm still not clear on why it is so annoying. Does it get in the way somehow, or is it easy to accidentally knock it out of whack, or what?

Old 11-11-2020 | 12:41 PM
Spooledsrt
Tuned
Originally Posted by wmcneil
Smoking Joe,
I ordered a Z on 10/29, so not clear if I get the "new" design or not. So this flap that you mention above that you aren't supposed to touch, I'm still not clear on why it is so annoying. Does it get in the way somehow, or is it easy to accidentally knock it out of whack, or what?
I can help with that, it's a flimsy piece of plastic that you cant pull down on to close the glass. You have to grab the glass on the side to pull down then grab the latch to close the rest of the way. It's a pain at first but you get used to it. They should have added a little grab handle by the inside handle to start the closing of the glass. Hope that makes sense. I'll go out and take pics, my vacation isnt going too well here in Fort Myers beach this week anyway.....lol

Old 11-11-2020 | 12:53 PM
Spooledsrt
Tuned
Flimsy part that I always want to use to pull down the glass, would make sense if it was more rigid.

Where they should add a pull down near inside ****.

Grab side of glass, pull down

Then when pulled down, grab the outside handle with right hand to close. Can you tell im bored haha

Quick Reply: ARE Caps.. Anyone?