1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Starting Point

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024 | 07:18 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Sounds like you might be interested in the larger Racor filter some folks use. It’s on my “one of these days” list.
I am not comfortable cutting a hole in the bottom of my tank for a sump but know it’s worked well for John.

Old 08-14-2024 | 11:06 PM
kenn_chan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by F350towing
Starting to see the merits of a fuel tank sump with a bigger pre-pump filter.

I’m leery about the single centre fastener for clamping pressure to seal the O-ring to the tank, but see that is what you have installed. Also has to have a drain plug for periodic let’s get the crap out of the bottom of the tank.

If I go this route, would also like to install a glass ( read clear )water separator as a pre filter so that I can visually check to see what is going into the filter.

I don’t know if I’m thinking overkill, but I don’t want to chase this down again the next time I choose the wrong fuel station.

If japan was not such a PITA in regards to modifying fuel tnaks and fuel lines I would put one of these in immediatley and stop worrying about a lot of things, but this would get my truck sidelined at the first inspection.

Old 08-15-2024 | 01:00 AM
F350towing
|
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
Wife and I got talking this evening.

We figured it out as to what station we picked up the bad fuel at.

i90 in Washington, Shell Station @East Sparks Rd in Easton.

I’m doing my exhaustive research into sumps and pre filters right now. Going to make an informed decision.

Still not 100% committed to the sump idea. The thought of not dropping the tank to clean it out now or ever in the future is appealing. Drilling a hole in a perfectly good tank…not so much.

I think it may be prone to fuel gel at -20°c with a 100kmh windchill. But then again I also guess that the filter assembly could gel too.

Old 08-15-2024 | 07:37 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
I’ve read that fuel gelling is one of the draw backs of the Hutch mod due to removing the warmer recycled return fuel, completely makes sense. And that the small WIX filter is more prone to gelling which I imagine could be more pronounced due to the smaller holes and quicker flow through its ports compared to a larger spin on.

How did you determine which station was the offending monster? It’s cool that you could figure that out!

Old 08-15-2024 | 07:59 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Club FTE Gold Member
with good antigell, I have not had fuel gell in temps down to -15F with a sump/airdog, or my hutch mod/oem pump/filter relocated to the frame rail. Both being 4 line feeds. No fuel heaters.

I would say the #1 cause to gelled fuel is lack of antigell added as well as quality of fuel.

Sounds like you definitely want to avoid that one station.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-15-2024 | 08:14 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Club FTE Gold Member
These Fass suction tube kits are pretty cheap and work well, a good option for those who dont want a sump below the tank.
It can be run as a feed and return, or just a feed.

The following 3 users liked this post by ESwift:
Old 08-15-2024 | 08:35 AM
F350towing
|
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV

How did you determine which station was the offending monster? It’s cool that you could figure that out!
It was a process of elimination based on symptoms, low FP. It was a slow boil, as miles passed it got progressively worse unlike flipping a switch.

Long story short… before that we were good, after that fill things went South as we went North.

Smaller Station tucked away off the highway on a side road with only 2 pumps.

Originally Posted by ESwift
with good antigell, I have not had fuel gell tempss down to -15F with a sump/airdog, or my hutch mod/oem pump/filter relocated to the frame rail. Both being 4 line feeds. No fuel heaters.

I would say the #1 casue to gelled fuel is lack of antigell added as well as quality of fuel.

Sounds like you definitely want to avoid that one station.
That’s good information right there on the gelling.

That station will never see my fill nozzle again.

The following 2 users liked this post by F350towing:
Old 08-15-2024 | 08:51 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Club FTE Gold Member
I installed a coolant-powered fuel heater in my tank after gelling issues in Minnesota one winter. It's basically a loop of steel tube with coolant running through it that pokes down into the fuel.

Old 08-15-2024 | 10:30 PM
Tpayne621
Cargo Master
These Fass suction tube kits are pretty cheap and work well, a good option for those who dont want a sump below the tank.
It can be run as a feed and return, or just a feed.
The riff raff high volume pickup looks like a nice unit also but never used one. It's about the same as that had feed and return and a new style sending unit and fits right in to stock sending unit spot. Looks like a nice piece.

Old 08-16-2024 | 05:38 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by Tpayne621
The riff raff high volume pickup looks like a nice unit also but never used one. It's about the same as that had feed and return and a new style sending unit and fits right in to stock sending unit spot. Looks like a nice piece.
True, but this Fass kit is $85 and the rr pickup is almost $400

Old 08-16-2024 | 08:54 AM
F350towing
|
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
True, but this Fass kit is $85 and the rr pickup is almost $400
I looked at the RR pickup last night. That converts to over 530. Landed cost will be north of $600 for me.

Old 08-16-2024 | 08:58 AM
FordTruckNoob
Club FTE Gold Member
Just move a few miles south already. Seriously.

Old 08-16-2024 | 10:30 AM
F350towing
|
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Just move a few miles south already. Seriously.
If it were so simple I would have done it years ago.

Now if I were to divorce my wife and marry an American she could sponsor me for my green card.

Alternatively I could live in the US and cross the border twice each day and still make 70% on the US dollar.

One Tru-deau

Old 08-16-2024 | 10:43 AM
FordTruckNoob
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by F350towing

Alternatively I could live in the US and cross the border twice each day and still make 70% on the US dollar.
See? Problem solved. Be sure to apply for Global Entry.

Old 08-17-2024 | 04:33 PM
F350towing
|
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
I’ve decided against the sump style pick up being installed on the tank.

Got it all apart today and based on what the SSJ style pick up tube looks like I’m gonna stick with that.

Just cancelled the Amazon delivery on the sump I had on order.

Going to run 30r9 from the tank to pre pump filter kit that is set to show up on Monday.

At 1/8 of a tank I still pulled almost 10 gallons out before I dropped the tank. There was less than 1 gallon left in it once the pick up tube stopped drawing from it.

Washed the tank 3 times with soap and water, then wiped it out with methyl hydrate. Let it sit in the sun for about an hour to evaporate before starting reassembling.

Out

Apart

Looks nice and clean. Nothing hanging out there. Raised pick up tube by 1/4” to try and prevent picking up contaminants.

Clean and reassembled ready to install.

Quick Reply: Starting Point