Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Starting Point

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023 | 01:26 AM
F350towing
|
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
Replacing the link bushings was not a job for the faint of heart without a press.

It took lots of heat, and pounding the crap outta it with a brass drift to get them outta there. The uppers came out fairly good… relatively speaking… the lowers we’re so well seated that once the centre was punched out I had to make a relief cut to the outer before I could punch it out.

I’ll add pictures of the carnage tomorrow when I make it out to the shop.

Old 06-04-2023 | 10:35 AM
kenn_chan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Sous

You know that "we" all like to give each other a hard time about the various services and their role in defending our country, but I never once heard any of the services complain when the USAF was there for airlift, resupply or to blast the enemy to meet their maker with massive explosions. Just like the Marines showing up first and leaving last to kick *** the entire time or the Army running the enemy over because they were advancing on them so fast or the Navy assaulting the enemy around the globe at a moments notice. Last, but certainly not least, the Coast Guard and their mission around the globe, not just at home and on our shores.

I have been attached to a Marine and Army units during deployments where everyone was grateful for the support of the others and that we all had an American flag on our shoulder.

I am especially grateful for all of the men and women who have given everything for us to live as we do this particular weekend.

As for the VW Beetle... My wife drove a 1993 Toyota Tercel until it was dead. I was looking at a TDi Jetta or Passat as a replacement and she said "I want a convertible". My immediate response was "no F-ing way we are getting a convertible". She said "I didn't say a damn thing when you said you wanted a motorcycle and bought one". My immediate response was "what kind of convertible would you like my love?"

We bought this 2003 VW Beetle for a steal of a deal and made it hers with the customizations. She loves it and I am proud to ride with her when she is driving it.

Tomorrow is not guaranteed for anyone, so why delay the happiness you can help provide to your loved ones...

Here is a picture she took while waiting for me to pick up some adult beverages at Ingles.

As an aside, and so as not to confuse those who have not served in the military, or been exposed to our weird sense of humor, this was me poking fun at a man I have tremendous respect for. I am sure sooner or later he will come out with a knuckle dragger joke on my behalf. (or worse).

The following 2 users liked this post by kenn_chan:
Old 06-04-2023 | 01:40 PM
F350towing
|
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
Here is what’s left of the bushings. The uppers weren’t as bad to punch out as the lowers.

When heating the links there was first grease coming out of the bushings then what appeared to be some kind of plastic.

Lowers came out in 2 pieces with the centres punching out first. After futile efforts to get the outers to move I the made a relief cut with the hacksaw. Worked like a charm.

Uppers punched out in one piece.

Check out the damage to the brass drift. I was holding it with visegrips so I could get a good windup on the hammer without risk to my hand.

Also got my Ranger valve installed today and chose to plum it into the red vacuum line. About 1/2 hour worth of work.

Front shocks are out and waiting for the new ones to arrive.

The following 3 users liked this post by F350towing:
Old 06-04-2023 | 06:28 PM
kenn_chan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by F350towing
Here is what’s left of the bushings. The uppers weren’t as bad to punch out as the lowers.

When heating the links there was first grease coming out of the bushings then what appeared to be some kind of plastic.

Lowers came out in 2 pieces with the centres punching out first. After futile efforts to get the outers to move I the made a relief cut with the hacksaw. Worked like a charm.

Uppers punched out in one piece.

Check out the damage to the brass drift. I was holding it with visegrips so I could get a good windup on the hammer without risk to my hand.

Front shocks are out and waiting for the new ones to arrive.
sorry i might have missed but no hydraulic press available?

Old 06-04-2023 | 06:54 PM
F350towing
|
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by kenn_chan
sorry i might have missed but no hydraulic press available?
Yup you missed that part.

Sure wish I did have one though. Would have saved me a couple of hours.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-04-2023 | 08:34 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Club FTE Gold Member
A ball joint press works too you know.

Old 06-04-2023 | 08:45 PM
F350towing
|
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
A ball joint press works too you know.
The way that I did it let me work off some frustrations I may have bottled up over the last few years.

At least that’s my estimated redemption based on how badly I had to beat the S#it outta it.

I feel much better today.

Old 06-05-2023 | 06:06 AM
FordTruckNoob
Club FTE Gold Member
Originally Posted by F350towing
The way that I did it let me work off some frustrations I may have bottled up over the last few years.

At least that’s my estimated redemption based on how badly I had to beat the S#it outta it.

I feel much better today.
Oh in that case have at it. I am all for mental health programs.

Old 06-05-2023 | 07:30 AM
kenn_chan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Oh in that case have at it. I am all for mental health programs.
i found somebody meaner than me... what branch did you serve in.. or is it natural? Ha ha ha.

Old 06-05-2023 | 09:00 AM
FordTruckNoob
Club FTE Gold Member
i found somebody meaner than me... what branch did you serve in.. or is it natural? Ha ha ha.
Singapore Artillery.

But yes, being mean comes naturally.

Old 06-05-2023 | 10:43 AM
Y2KW57
Club FTE Gold Member
Jason,

is there a difference in load between the two different packs? The reason i Ask is that fugly the ugly plane tug is a special order cab chassis and has a pack that looks like that, while my (normal) F350 has the 5 leaf pack... would it be an upgrade? do they fit? sorry have not had time to measure myself.
Pickup rear springs have always been longer than chassis cab rear leaf springs in Ford's Super Duty line up.

For the 1999-2003 model years:

F-350 DRW PickUp rear springs (5 leaf main pack) = 58.1" eyelet to eyelet distance

F-350 DRW Chassis Cab rear springs (12 leaf pack) = 55.6" eyelet to eyelet distance

For the 2008 - 2016 model years, the pickup rear leaf springs grew even longer (for ride comfort), while the chassis cab rear leaf springs remained the same.

Old 06-06-2023 | 07:54 PM
F350towing
|
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
@Sous

Shocks arrived today. Opened the box and the sticker on the shocks are oriented so that to read them properly the piston is installed on the axle, boot down.

Is that how you installed yours.

Old 06-06-2023 | 08:39 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
My Bilstein 5100’s installed boot down.

Old 06-06-2023 | 08:43 PM
Sous
FTE Leadership Emeritus
Veteran: Air Force
FTE Emeritus
Yes sir! Blue boot toward the ground (front only) when looking into the wheel well and as seen in the video below. There was a thread with quite a bit of discussion about the orientation of the shock a year or two ago. After much debate, it was determined the blue boot toward the ground was the proper method of installation for the 4600HD series shocks.

EDIT: I see Jason commented his 5100 series also installed boot toward the ground.

EDIT again: Here is the thread link I was referring to.

Link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post19598018

Old 06-06-2023 | 08:56 PM
F350towing
|
Works Hard/ Plays Hard
Club FTE Silver Member
Thanks guys.

I did a google search and they say that bilstein places their stickers purposely to give you the orientation.

Don’t stand on your head to read them properly.

It’s a shame though. I’d rather see the blue boot than the yellow in the wheel wells.

Quick Reply: Starting Point