2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Long term Purchase. SRW vs DRW?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 06:12 AM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you buy a truck with 50% more tire, it will go 50% further without breaking down.

Ok seriously, I am a part time farmer (full time rocket scientist) and I bought a SRW. I can tow my 30' gooseneck with my 10k lbs tractor with 4500 lbs mower on it for service/work no problem. I only tow about 1% of the time and the rest of the time I am either empty or hauling poultry feed in the bed. If you live in an area like I do with narrow country roads you will have less anxiety driving a SRW. Unless you need the extra towing/hauling capacity, I'd get a SRW.

My wife's family has both a SRW and DRW. Dad got a DRW because he wanted the big truck. Needless to say, the boy drives dad everywhere in the SRW. Easier to park and get through a drive-thru.

BTW my trailer fully loaded puts me right under 20k and I have no issues.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:34 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 505 Likes on 294 Posts
I’ve had several Super Duty trucks. All better than the last one.
I owned one DRW. It was a 2003 Lariat LE. I don’t have a pic of mine, but this one pictured was almost exactly the same.

I loved it, and the stability when towing was heads and tails above the SRW, but it did come with some drawbacks. It didn’t ride as well because of the rear duals thumped over every expansion joint, but what a gorgeous truck for the time period..
I was considering an F-450 this time around for that good look, but the only rears available were the 4:30 which was a deal killer.

So, if styling/stability wins out, get the 450 and enjoy. If practically/efficiently wins, go SRW.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:37 AM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 579 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by nikerret
Nothing is free. In snow and ice, DRW sucks.
This is so true; horrible in limited traction conditions. The duals sit on top of the snow instead of getting down to the roadway.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:51 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 995 Likes on 787 Posts
Originally Posted by bobv60
I do not know this as fact, but it has been posted that the C&C trucks use a different HP and Torque calculation.
I have not heard that the 7.3 gas was detuned for the C&C, the 6.7 is as far as I know is detuned and actually had (have?) A different turbo.
They are the 7.3 is dyno tuned to 350hp. Thats what the press release I just googled said.

Will need to research that and ask 5star or whoever about programming.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:06 AM
Poisonspyder
Cross-Country
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianbob
This is so true; horrible in limited traction conditions. The duals sit on top of the snow instead of getting down to the roadway.
I find it does great in the snow. This is my drw powder chasing ski rig. I live
in Colorado and drive on the snow with regularity. With and without the camper in the bed. No issues on snow anymore than a single rear wheel. Nothing does great on ice except with tire chains. We drove up this pass to wolf creek ski resort the night before on 6+ inches of snow in the dark. It was Not plowed and back down on plowed snow packed roads a couple days and a foot and a half later. Headed to the storm this weekend up near Loveland. I’d take my drw over a single in the snow but there is not much difference.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:17 AM
prodirt6000
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Poisonspyder
I find it does great in the snow. This is my drw powder chasing ski rig. I live
in Colorado and drive on the snow with regularity. With and without the camper in the bed. No issues on snow anymore than a single rear wheel. Nothing does great on ice except with tire chains. We drove up this pass to wolf creek ski resort the night before on 6+ inches of snow in the dark. It was Not plowed and back down on plowed snow packed roads a couple days and a foot and a half later. Headed to the storm this weekend up near Loveland. I’d take my drw over a single in the snow but there is not much difference.
Nice set up. Did you go with gas or diesel?

Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 AM
Poisonspyder
Cross-Country
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks.

I went with diesel as I live in the mountains and I ranch. Pulling 25 to 30k over the 12000 foot passes needs a diesel really. I believe a gas would do even better in the snow tho. To much torque with the desiel so you must be light on the throttle on hard packed snow. I have had several single and several Duallys. I have both right now and I prefer the Dually. Both my trucks can haul the camper with ease. 98 12 valve dodge and a 2019 f350 Dually.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:47 PM
StonedGrey
Laughing Gas
Received 99 Likes on 59 Posts
I think the “DRW suck in snow” is a myth or thing of the past.
My 18 DRW 350 does absolutely amazing in snow and i have steer tires on the front.

This tread looks like I should go nowhere in the snow.
Ive driven up snow covered hills and then watched SRW diesel trucks struggle and spin all the way up the same snow covered hill.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:06 PM
Drothgeb
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would drive a F450 before you buy anything. With the diesel and the wide-track front end, it accelerates and maneuvers so well, it almost feels like driving a really big sports car.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:11 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
I am on my second f450 dually, no problems in the snow.
as all vehicles, the tires make to most difference.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:35 PM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I chose the DRW simply to have the payload. I don't drive my as a true DD, but I would have no problem doing so!

Old 02-05-2020, 04:29 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My vote is for drw. When I put a flatbed on my srw truck I found that I kept loading bigger and heavier stuff on it. Would have been nice to have the drw truck to haul all that extra weight instead of riding on the bump stops. Next one will be a drw for sure.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:05 PM
7.3F350
Mountain Pass
Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by prodirt6000
Hello,
... I want to have a flatbed on the new truck as a good work area. My understanding is the DRW sit a couple inches lower than the SRW. We have thought about a slide in truck camper, but I think if anything we would upgrade to a larger horse trailer with LQ.
Truck campers or large horse trailers are often very heavy and will do better with DRW. Especially so on top of a flatbed, which will weigh more (often much more) than factory bed. My flatbed is nothing special and weighs ~1,200 lbs.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:33 AM
prodirt6000
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 7.3F350
Truck campers or large horse trailers are often very heavy and will do better with DRW. Especially so on top of a flatbed, which will weigh more (often much more) than factory bed. My flatbed is nothing special and weighs ~1,200 lbs.

Agreed. I’m going to have to try out an F-450 sometime. I definitely want to stay the gas route as gas will do just fine for the trips that I take. If I were hauling coast to coast I would go diesel. I tried building a 450 with the 7.3 c&c and was surprised how close on price it came to other 350s I have built online.

The only thing that is a huge let down is the derated engine. I am going to have to contact 5 star and see what they think about it. I am sure they have worked with derated 6.2l c&c in the past.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:01 PM
nikerret
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by prodirt6000
Agreed. I’m going to have to try out an F-450 sometime. I definitely want to stay the gas route as gas will do just fine for the trips that I take. If I were hauling coast to coast I would go diesel. I tried building a 450 with the 7.3 c&c and was surprised how close on price it came to other 350s I have built online.

The only thing that is a huge let down is the derated engine. I am going to have to contact 5 star and see what they think about it. I am sure they have worked with derated 6.2l c&c in the past.
Ford has never changed the gas engines, from pickup to chassis cab. Unknown, for sure, on the 7.3L, haven’t heard of any in a chassis cab, yet. They are measured at different points. Pickups are measured at peak and chassis cabs at a fixed point. The Diesel engines actually have different parts, including turbos.

I have a 2014 6.2L DRW chassis cab. Based on my experiences compared to how others report similar pickups, I’m actually wondering if mine was aftermarket tuned (I doubt it, I bought it used from a Ford dealer with existing power train warranty); there’s absolutely no way it’s detuned, compared to the pickups.

Quick Reply: Long term Purchase. SRW vs DRW?