2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tesla Truck - Not What I Thought

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 06:52 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,708 Likes on 1,223 Posts
My son drives a 2020 ford fusion hybrid. He got that one because all electic limits you.

He also looked at others and decided that it does not have to look hideous to be a hybrid or an all electric.

No need to make it look ugly. He drives 3 miles to the park and ride and takes a commuter bus to work. Hybrid is perfect for him.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:34 AM
Anomic
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. Musk claims Tesla’s are built for 1,000,000 with a couple battery rebuilds. Uber users are reporting 300k with nothing but tires. Stainless body I’ve always wanted to pay more for something that doesn’t start falling apart and needing lots of maintenance around 10 year mark. Who knows if it’s true but I like the longevity design over anything else

mans above comments about hauling he is claiming 3500lb payload for all models. That is a real truck. No one says an f150 with a yellow sticker of 1509lbs isn’t “real”

Old 11-23-2019, 08:30 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by ytechie
TFLTruck tested the Model X, and it was something like 2/3 less range. That puts this truck into ~150 mile range. And here's the kicker, you're not going to pull into a supercharger with a trailer.

Until we have a 10x improvement in batteries, this simply isn't a replacement for gas or diesel.
The latter part of your reply is spot on.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:09 AM
Coghlin
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not crazy about the looks but I still preordered one. My F450 will do all the heavy long distance towing and this will do everything else on the farm and for my family. We need a 6 seat vehicle and this makes perfect sense. The 3500 lb payload means I can bring a skid of feed home and deliveries will be great. Less maintenance and lower cost of operating. It is a numbers game and this makes sense for my business. I bought the f450 for its numbers and this one too. F150 is useless because of its lack of payload and this spanks an F150 all day long. An F150 won't even handle my tools and fuel tank but the tesla will. With the supercharger network you can easily travel anywhere but towing is still a local thing.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:28 AM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Coghlin
I'm not crazy about the looks but I still preordered one. My F450 will do all the heavy long distance towing and this will do everything else on the farm and for my family. We need a 6 seat vehicle and this makes perfect sense. The 3500 lb payload means I can bring a skid of feed home and deliveries will be great. Less maintenance and lower cost of operating. It is a numbers game and this makes sense for my business. I bought the f450 for its numbers and this one too. F150 is useless because of its lack of payload and this spanks an F150 all day long. An F150 won't even handle my tools and fuel tank but the tesla will. With the supercharger network you can easily travel anywhere but towing is still a local thing.
I'm really surprised to see that anyone could get past the looks. Even if that thing could promise twice the performance and cost half that, I wouldn't want it, its hideous. I appreciate the direction electric vehicles are going, and the idea of a capable electric truck, but come on, that thing is rediculas. I dont know, for me the the aesthetics of a vehicle are important, not just the numbers. I've seen other e-truck renderings, still very "electric" looking, but much easier on the eyes.

I've come to the conclusion that it's just a big joke. He must have been hanging with Joe Rogan, smoking way too many joints and decided to let his kids design it. Although, when I showed it to my pre-teen, he also thought it was horrible.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Coghlin
Mountain Pass
Lol. My kids loved it. I like the utility of it. Stainless body, great cargo and load capacity, 6 passenger and all the efficiency and low cost of operating an electric vehicle. No more gas stations and waiting in line and trying to find one. Just come home and plug in. Wake up and your "tank" is full.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:19 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 995 Likes on 787 Posts
I put a deposit on one. The weird styling is absolutely timeless, as it will always be ugly.

Around late 2022 I will have 40-50k miles on my 6.7 and my daily F150 will be beat.

Can garage the 6.7.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:41 AM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe T
I put a deposit on one. The weird styling is absolutely timeless, as it will always be ugly.
Lol, great way to look at it.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Andy_george
Tuned
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts
I read that the stainless is 3x thicker than today’s average sheet metal. My questions is why? That thing is seriously going to weigh 10,000 pounds! Was it easier to just use thick plate stainless and just be sure not to put any curves in it!?!?

I didn’t think a truck could get uglier than the Silverado Heavy Duty’s. Proven wrong lol.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 995 Likes on 787 Posts
They did the ugly in a correct fashion. Chevy did it limp wristed with out any redeeming qualities.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:34 PM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
Received 161 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_george
I read that the stainless is 3x thicker than today’s average sheet metal. My questions is why? That thing is seriously going to weigh 10,000 pounds! Was it easier to just use thick plate stainless and just be sure not to put any curves in it!?!?

I didn’t think a truck could get uglier than the Silverado Heavy Duty’s. Proven wrong lol.
It looks to be a unibody. I’d expect it to be as heavy as the rest of the electric trucks but probably not worse.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:57 PM
Coghlin
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Andy_george

Musk was quoted in the presentation that it would end up around the same weight of an F150 because of the different type design. The shell is the load bearing structure of the vehicle so it will be thicker and the sharp angles and triangular shapes adds to the strength of the design. Everything in the design leads to dual function. The outer body is also the structure instead of having a frame structure with a bunch of stuff attached to it to make it functional. A truck doesn't need the body to function but it needs the body to be functional. It will be interesting to see how it stands up to the abuse and loads of trailering and hauling. I for one will likely be purchasing and we definitely work our trucks to the max.

I love the comment above about it being an ugly design and that will make it timeless. One way to look at it for sure.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:22 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SUPERTRUCKERS
Where are the tow mirrors?!
Where are any mirrors...

Old 11-23-2019, 08:35 PM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Coghlin
I'm not crazy about the looks but I still preordered one. With the supercharger network you can easily travel anywhere but towing is still a local thing.
This is the problem..... you can’t travel anywhere and when you do many of the chargers are in use or don’t work.
One Tesla owner complained he checked to a hotel to learn their complimentary charging system was not working because the maintenance man failed to turn on the system. How many ways can you spell stranded.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:59 PM
Coghlin
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Lariatdriver
This is the problem..... you can’t travel anywhere and when you do many of the chargers are in use or don’t work.
One Tesla owner complained he checked to a hotel to learn their complimentary charging system was not working because the maintenance man failed to turn on the system. How many ways can you spell stranded.
This is at a private hotel but the supercharger network is amazing and the car would know the supercharger isn't working beforehand. There is also many sharing apps where private people offer their chargers. It works great. I've been stranded many times with my trucks when they use too much fuel towing and I can't make it to the next fuel stop or travelling late at night and I have to stop and wait till they open. Chargers are self serve and 24/7. My parents bought a used Model S and they have travelled all over the eastern seaboard and from Ontario to Florida with no issues. They said the car can see traffic and supercharger use and automatically routes them to superchargers based on traffic and driving habits. Sometimes it will skip a stop and tell them to go to the next one or schedule a little earlier one. We left at the same time as them with our RV headed from Ontario to Florida and we basically arrived at the same time in Florida (we took different routes as our needs for fuel stops were different than theirs). You just schedule your meals and bathroom breaks at superchargers.

Realistically this all irrelevant as 95% of your charging is at home and nothing is more convenient than that. Travelling takes a small amount of planning but the integrated system and network of the Tesla take most of the guesswork out of it.

Quick Reply: Tesla Truck - Not What I Thought