1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'56 f100 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020 | 02:57 PM
Waygonner
|
Tuned
Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Nice job! I found a surprise in the lower right corner of the glove box opening- all swiss cheese! There was a mouse nest in there I remember pulling out when I first started working on truck. Nasty rodents musta peed in there and caused rust. Strange...

Yikes! Will you be able to Fab a part or will you need to cut one out of a cab?

Old 02-22-2020 | 03:03 PM
Waygonner
|
Tuned
Worked on the floors this week. Almost done. I realized I have one more cab corner then the welding is mostly done for the cab. It will be nice to move on to other parts of the build.

Cut out the bad part of the rear floors. I left enough support that I didn't think it was necessary for temp bracing.

Front left side all welded up

Rear floor mocked up

Tacked in

New floors! Will finish welding and grinding the back tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2020 | 07:49 PM
Waygonner
|
Tuned
Finished up the floors and welded in the cab corner tonight. Almost done with all of the welding on the cab.

Floors finished up with a coat of primer. Welds are ground down but will need a little seam sealer or filler to make them look perfect.

Tacked in the cab corner. Was a pain to get it lined up. The ill fitting inner cab corner struck again, making it impossible to get the outer one to line up on both ends. Ended up cutting vertical notches around the lower edge so I could hammer it in. Now that the outer is welded up I'll work the lower portion of the inner to fit the radius and weld it all up for final fitment.

All buttoned up and ready for grinding.

Old 02-26-2020 | 06:49 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Looking Good!!

Old 02-26-2020 | 09:26 AM
vonhef
Senior User
I agree with Greg Rogers.... it looks good!

Old 02-27-2020 | 06:48 PM
Waygonner
|
Tuned
Tackled the driver's door this evening. New inner and outer skin. Had to drill out several of the screws holding in door latch and window hardware. Will be doing single glass so I popped out the wing window too.

Lower part of the door was nasty. Felt good to cut it off.

I tacked on the back panel first then lined up the outer skin and made sure it all squared up. I had the same issue as other guys in that the new parts aren't quite as wide as the old ones. Too bad the Chinese manufacturer made a 1/8" error in the moulds...it affects everyone restoring one of these damn doors!

Tacked in. Hit it with compressed air frequently so it wouldn't warp.

Fully welded up.

Here is the rear panel tacked up before the skin was added.

Rear panel finished. Next step will be folding over the edges and plug welding them.

Old 02-27-2020 | 07:59 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Wow you made it look easy!!

Old 03-03-2020 | 03:04 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Nice job. Glad you got it done and it looks great!

Old 03-06-2020 | 03:16 AM
fordslut
More Turbo
the door bottom repair is on my list too. I have the parts, just need to get to it. I think i'll just use the minimum of the parts, i'll cut them down to retain as much as I can from the original door.

Old 03-14-2020 | 03:10 PM
Waygonner
|
Tuned
Time for a bit of a catch up post. I've been working on small projects on the truck. Finally got to spend some hours working on the cab today.

My little dude turned 5 so I got him a minibike and my dad sent him a tool kit. He had a blast helping assemble the bike. He likes to hang around the garage and help with the truck and will be putting the tools to good use!

Restored a headlight bucket. Before.

After. Cleaned all the grunge off with a wire brush then thoroughly cleaned it and sprayed rust inhibitor and finished with Underhood black paint.

Nice weather! Finally! Working on a bit of everything today. Started with cleaning the garage and then moved on to the cab.

Stripped all of the paint off of the roof and applied rust converter to the rusty spots.

Also stripped paint off the dash and door jambs.

Front view of cleaned up roof. Waiting for rust converter to dry.

Picked up a used door from Kevin (bigwinf100) that is in much better condition that my passenger door. Will finish up the body work on it and be good to go in short order. FYI he was able to box it up in a TV box and ship it Greyhound to me from Ohio to New Jersey in a day or two for about $100 shipping. I think that's a great way to go for big parts.

Cleaned up all of the surface rust off of one of my inner fenders and did the rust treatment and paint. I was on the fence about keeping these but I think they will work.

Old 03-14-2020 | 07:13 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner
Club FTE Silver Member
Great work, both with the truck and your cute little boy! Be careful they grow up fast!

Looks like your headlight bucket was in flood water. And your inner fender is a keeper. It looks great to me!

Where in Jersey are you?

Old 03-14-2020 | 08:47 PM
Waygonner
|
Tuned
Originally Posted by abe
Great work, both with the truck and your cute little boy! Be careful they grow up fast!

Looks like your headlight bucket was in flood water. And your inner fender is a keeper. It looks great to me!

Where in Jersey are you?
​​​​​

Yeah, you never know if these old farm trucks got into some water. Fortunately the frame didn't look like it had spent any time under water.

I'm in Florham Park. It's in North Jersey about 20 miles outside if New York City.

Old 03-14-2020 | 09:23 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep
Club FTE Silver Member
Real nice work.
Tom

Old 03-15-2020 | 04:23 AM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Beautiful work!! Way beyond my capabilities.

Regards, Mark

Old 03-15-2020 | 04:43 AM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Good job !! Quality time with your son is very important, so good job on that too.

Quick Reply: '56 f100 build thread