2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2019 F250 & Sled Deck

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019 | 06:14 AM
DHPRO
|
Senior User
2019 F250 & Sled Deck

Just upgraded from 2014 and pretty happy with the new ride...much smoother! Only couple things left to do...dual fogs installation (Rigid) and studded winter snows later in the year. New upfitter switch installation is a breeze!

Old 06-17-2019 | 09:13 AM
NL_F250
Freshman User
Mannnnnn, I want that drawer! haha How many times have I cursed on crawling in under the deck to get that gas can that managed to find it;'s way forward. Silly messy after a 6Hr haul across the island. Awesome looking setup!

I added some rock lights to the bottom sides of the slide outs for the late evenings back to the truck, great cheap addition if you were ever interested.

I had a '13 gasser before this, you'll love this one with 2 sleds above it!

Old 06-17-2019 | 09:58 AM
DHPRO
|
Senior User

Originally Posted by NL_F250
Mannnnnn, I want that drawer! haha How many times have I cursed on crawling in under the deck to get that gas can that managed to find it;'s way forward. Silly messy after a 6Hr haul across the island. Awesome looking setup!

I added some rock lights to the bottom sides of the slide outs for the late evenings back to the truck, great cheap addition if you were ever interested.

I had a '13 gasser before this, you'll love this one with 2 sleds above it!
My 14 and this are both gassers. I was gonna put lights on the headache bar, just havnt gotten around to it. Have pix of your lights?

As for the drawer, its a must with the deck...I hate crawling back there. I also added a beaver trail extension (~20") to better support the long track - folds out of way during season and I take it off in summer.

Old 06-17-2019 | 11:04 AM
NL_F250
Freshman User
Awesome. I don't have any on the headache rack, as the rack on the Marathon deck is a bit lower than the cab, so I'd be running some weird looking extensions to clear the cab for forward lighting. Just running some grill lights for the time being, pictured below:

As for the deck, there's 4 rock lights on either side, evenly spaced. I've also got 2 2" Squares mounted under the ramp bar to assist with loading and area lighting - worked pretty well this past season.

You've got me off my **** today, just ordered some bearings to make myself an under deck drawer. No crawling fr me next season! haha

Old 06-17-2019 | 11:22 AM
2019Platinum
Freshman User
I have a marathon deck like in the pic (older style). Wondering did you drill and install with supplied backing through the aluminum bed floor or did you use the tie down points. I drilled on my last truck but wondered what people were doing on these newer aluminum bodied trucks.

Old 06-17-2019 | 11:30 AM
NL_F250
Freshman User
I don't trust the tie downs for a second. Your experience may vary, but I know I've hit potholes that would have cleaned out the tie downs or turn burckles. Don't want to think about what would happen in an accident.

I drilled the holes. Deck sits on 4 3/4" plywood squares, grade 8 bolts down through the bed with 2" or 3" backer plates. Obviously bigger would be better. Caution to the Drivers forward mount, you're drilling right on top of your fuel and DEF fill lines, and there's very little clearance.

I apply never-seize to the plates and holes to prevent corrosion, and I'm only running the deck in the winter, so I clean it up in the spring when I remove the deck. Ideally you'd want to run a separator (piece of rubber?) between the backer plate and the bed for dis-similar metals protection.

Old 06-17-2019 | 12:57 PM
2019Platinum
Freshman User
Originally Posted by NL_F250
I don't trust the tie downs for a second. Your experience may vary, but I know I've hit potholes that would have cleaned out the tie downs or turn burckles. Don't want to think about what would happen in an accident.

I drilled the holes. Deck sits on 4 3/4" plywood squares, grade 8 bolts down through the bed with 2" or 3" backer plates. Obviously bigger would be better. Caution to the Drivers forward mount, you're drilling right on top of your fuel and DEF fill lines, and there's very little clearance.

I apply never-seize to the plates and holes to prevent corrosion, and I'm only running the deck in the winter, so I clean it up in the spring when I remove the deck. Ideally you'd want to run a separator (piece of rubber?) between the backer plate and the bed for dis-similar metals protection.
Moo that’s how I installed on my previous model. I felt the same about the tie points but was looking to hear others’ thoughts on it. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2019 | 01:15 PM
DHPRO
|
Senior User
Truckboss decks bolt to the bed floor and have tie downs. My drives can be pretty far some times and at highway speeds I dont wanna see my deck pass me! I looked at them all before settling on this one - it wasnt an easy choice cause they're not cheap, but by far the best engineered and flexible. They really are more hassle than a trailer (and they do get more grime), but I was getting 3-4mpg less pulling the trailer and it a much less stressful drive.

Old 06-17-2019 | 01:18 PM
DHPRO
|
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2019Platinum
I have a marathon deck like in the pic (older style). Wondering did you drill and install with supplied backing through the aluminum bed floor or did you use the tie down points. I drilled on my last truck but wondered what people were doing on these newer aluminum bodied trucks.
Thought you meant lights up top to see...thats what I can use while strapping sled down and putting cover on.

Old 06-17-2019 | 05:54 PM
NL_F250
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DHPRO
They really are more hassle than a trailer (and they do get more grime), but I was getting 3-4mpg less pulling the trailer and it a much less stressful drive.
I actually find it nicer than a trailer. No worries about tight spots at cabin parking lots or getting anything turned around (I tend to go odd places haha) Throw the sleds on the deck and done!

Definitely messier than an enclosed, but I find it miles ahead of the open trailer pictured on my truck above - I'll drive myself with just one sled aboard instead of putting my sled on that.

Originally Posted by DHPRO
Thought you meant lights up top to see...thats what I can use while strapping sled down and putting cover on.
I was going to place a few rear ward facing squares on the headache rack, as I had them there before on a previous setup, but found them blinding getting the sled up there, and didn't help too much when strapping down. I just use the cab light now and find that ok.