6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What's everyone running for air intake: OEM or CAI??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 07:40 AM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Received 7,338 Likes on 5,361 Posts
That video is a great watch. Very informative, no doubt. Because this has to do with the subject of this thread, and the information it provides about turbocharged engines and the fact he says "power stroke" a lot (I know he's talking about the 3rd cycle of a four stroke engine), I will post this video here for FYI. He talks about cold air systems and shows why putting an open filter under the hood makes the engine lose power because of the hot air under the hood. Thanks bobcat. I am subscribed to his channel on YouTube.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:01 AM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Yes, I am very impressed with the recent products Banks offers, being as I believe emissions are here to stay and we can embrace that fact or continue to fight it. His company has been at the forefront of emissions intact modifications. Deletes won’t be an option (for most) forever, and the L5P has proven that it is going to become ever more difficult and expensive to accomplish the deletes. Rumor has it the 2020 Powerstroke is going to have a new ECM.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

I'm surprised the haters haven't responded yet about Banks. I did a thread about the video that Gale put out about the performance of aftermarket diff covers with bigger capacities and square cover faces. Then when he came out and said he wanted to make one to see if he could do it better, that's when all haters came out and bashed him. I was pretty amused by it actually. I was in the market for one and thank God I didn't buy one. He showed why not to buy one. He questions stuff that nobody else seems to. I sure never thought of that stuff. Or what he did with that intake on the Duramax in the video. I'm sure no one else did either. But he has been out in the front showing that you don't need smoke to make power. And I'm not talking the crazy pullers or drag trucks that need extra fuel and tons of air at lower compression rates to turn those huge turbos to make obscene power. I'm talking well tuned daily drivers.

I've been doing weight loss research myself. Not that I want to but in case of problems and $$$ down the line. I do feel the same way about d******g also. I believe the EPA will get more tough on Enforcement or possibly start to use the state police in each state as their enforcement by maybe withholding federal funds from states until they do start emissions enforcement. It drive me nuts when I see all theses ******s driving around advertising that their deleted by running rich tunes or by throwing a big tip on a 6 inch pipe out the back. I'm not knocking deletes at all but keep it on the down low as rolling coal gives all of us diesel truck owners a bad name and image.

I saw a Ford 6.4 Powerstroke today in the morning as I passed the intersection and he made the right on red. He had stacks and was blowing smoke like two chimneys. That's the ***** that P****s me off. Like these guys are proud of the fact that their daily driver blows money out the top of their stacks or out their exhausts. Unburned fuel, that's the fact Jack.

It will be interesting to see the facts about the 2020 6.7 Powerstroke. You seem to know a lot about the L5P.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:38 AM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Overkill2
I'm surprised the haters haven't responded yet about Banks. I did a thread about the video that Gale put out about the performance of aftermarket diff covers with bigger capacities and square cover faces. Then when he came out and said he wanted to make one to see if he could do it better, that's when all haters came out and bashed him. I was pretty amused by it actually. I was in the market for one and thank God I didn't buy one. He showed why not to buy one. He questions stuff that nobody else seems to. I sure never thought of that stuff. Or what he did with that intake on the Duramax in the video. I'm sure no one else did either. But he has been out in the front showing that you don't need smoke to make power. And I'm not talking the crazy pullers or drag trucks that need extra fuel and tons of air at lower compression rates to turn those huge turbos to make obscene power. I'm talking well tuned daily drivers.

I've been doing weight loss research myself. Not that I want to but in case of problems and $$$ down the line. I do feel the same way about d******g also. I believe the EPA will get more tough on Enforcement or possibly start to use the state police in each state as their enforcement by maybe withholding federal funds from states until they do start emissions enforcement. It drive me nuts when I see all theses ******s driving around advertising that their deleted by running rich tunes or by throwing a big tip on a 6 inch pipe out the back. I'm not knocking deletes at all but keep it on the down low as rolling coal gives all of us diesel truck owners a bad name and image.

I saw a Ford 6.4 Powerstroke today in the morning as I passed the intersection and he made the right on red. He had stacks and was blowing smoke like two chimneys. That's the ***** that P****s me off. Like these guys are proud of the fact that their daily driver blows money out the top of their stacks or out their exhausts. Unburned fuel, that's the fact Jack.

It will be interesting to see the facts about the 2020 6.7 Powerstroke. You seem to know a lot about the L5P.
The only reason I know anything about the L5P is it truly is an amazing engine. As is the 6.7 Powerstroke, but a lot of the parts installed at the factory on the L5P are the parts (specs)that aftermarket guys have been using for years. It’s also the first engine to come out with a virtually uncrackable ECM. HP Tuners found a backdoor. At $5-7k to tune, it’s a bit outta my league for wanting to delete.
I’m a Ford guy through and through, the GM pickup is sub par in my opinion on many different things. I like the way they ride and the power train feels solid, and gets good economy, but that’s it.
I too like the option of removing parts if things start to fail or go awry with the emissions system, but eventually that won’t be an option anymore.
I too used to be a hater on Banks, his products seemed over priced and didn’t produce much in the results department compared to the other companies. However after seeing some of his recent work, the research and development they put into their products, truly makes me a believer. No they probably won’t always be the highest performing in regards to horsepower and torque, or the most bang for your buck, but I think they truly will be the best (or close to) for longevity, power, and economy. It just kind of sucks that they’re really into Duramax’s. Wish I saw more Ford Powerstroke videos or it was the first engine that new products were developed for.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

I feel the same way about them when it comes to the 6.7 Powerstrokes. But he's a Duramax guy through and through. That Derringer tuner he has seems pretty bad @ss AND legit. I wish he would make something similar for the Fords. I've always heard of Banks but never really started looking into them until I bought my first diesel in early January 2017. I had heard he builds or had built Duramaxes for boats and for military applications. It would be cool if he designed new CAIs around that new filter he talked about in the video for the slightly older trucks like mine. Time will tell.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:07 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
I feel the same way about them when it comes to the 6.7 Powerstrokes. But he's a Duramax guy through and through. That Derringer tuner he has seems pretty bad @ss AND legit. I wish he would make something similar for the Fords. I've always heard of Banks but never really started looking into them until I bought my first diesel in early January 2017. I had heard he builds or had built Duramaxes for boats and for military applications. It would be cool if he designed new CAIs around that new filter he talked about in the video for the slightly older trucks like mine. Time will tell.
They recently released a Derringer for the 2017-2019 6.7 PSD, I feel like the 2011-2016 model won’t be far behind, however there may be a lag between 2011-2014 to 2015-2016, due to different turbo/fuel system, etc. I will put a derringer on my 2016 if they come out with one. I would also consider an intake system if they come out with an updated one using the larger filter. All this research has me re-thinking my no limit intake on my 2014

Old 06-08-2019, 04:36 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
I'd like to see more investment into improving the reliability and affordability of emissions technology since you are correct, emissions are here to stay. More manufactures are likely working to secure the in-vehicle networks with SHA-256 hashing and 2048-bit RSA signing encryption plus the ability to force a new key pair so tuning will be very difficult with OEM modules. As vehicles become a type of IoT device, encryption is going to be a requirement. Say everything emissions related had at least one failure, my estimate is $7,000 worth of early repairs (EGR cooler, SCR/DPF unit, DEF hardware; with some labor). I only see this cost increasing. GM is likely headed to an improvement with electric assisted regeneration (EADPF) to reduce the long term fuel cost but I haven't heard anything on that in years. DOE and GM had funded testing at ORNL. I guess the amount of additional electrical needed to produce 1,300°F+ for many minutes in a pickup requires plenty of testing and likely not adding to affordability since assisted means to me the existing hardware/process must remain.

Mine puffs a little soot at 30%+ acceleration from a stop and I don't even like that. It does not at WOT which is great. The trucks that blow soot all over the place annoy me as well, they are a big part of the perception problem. However, as far as tuning, I have made it 11 months without a derate level DTC, a VGT vane issue or an emissions issue. I've not been able to say that since fall 2016 and it is refreshing.

I am a diesel fan. I like the smooth, low RPM towing power. Diesel engines in tractors work well. I would own a diesel lawn mower "just because I can" if the cost wasn't ridiculous. However, I am considering the reality that my next truck for my needs will have the 7.3L gas with a 4:10 or 4:30 depending on how good the gear ratios are on the new 10R140. I guess we will see how the new engine holds up. Currently, my updated plan is to just keep my 2011 until it has an issue that isn't worth repairing.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:26 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Electric assist DPF cleaning would be awesome, but as you said, cost would most likely increase exponentially. Probably have to have a goofy alternator like the eTorque system in the new Ram 1/2 tons. I personally think we will see improvements here in the emissions scene as vehicles become more difficult to tune. There are already some companies specializing in emissions intact tuning for smaller diesel platforms like the EcoDiesel in the rams, such as Green Diesel Engineering. It's relatively expensive all things considered, but it drastically improves engine strategy and is emissions friendly (with some EGR exceptions).

Old 06-09-2019, 12:08 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by bobcat67
They recently released a Derringer for the 2017-2019 6.7 PSD, I feel like the 2011-2016 model won’t be far behind, however there may be a lag between 2011-2014 to 2015-2016, due to different turbo/fuel system, etc. I will put a derringer on my 2016 if they come out with one. I would also consider an intake system if they come out with an updated one using the larger filter. All this research has me re-thinking my no limit intake on my 2014
I went on their YouTube page and remember seeing that one guy who had a 2017 dually towing a camper that was going to try one out on his truck. I haven't looked into them further. I have looked into 5 Star and DP tuner for emissions on tuning for our trucks. I guess Jody at DP will set the trans shifting anyway you want it. I don't really know that much about transmission shifting strategy to say what's what. I also heard 5 Star's trans tunes are good and the engine brake works as with the factory ECM. But with DP, you have to pay extra for the engine brake I believe. I could be wrong. I have seen reviews for the Duramax Derringer and they all seem to be positive. I'm not saying there aren't negative reviews, but the video reviews seem to be positive.

I'm going to wait on the intake if Banks is coming out with an open design like the K&N. Maybe he'll dyno the new intake against the K&N. As for the Derringer, I would take a look at it and consider the other tuners as well.

As for the No Limit intake under the hood, I would reconsider it as well if I were in your shoes.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:25 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by kper05
I'd like to see more investment into improving the reliability and affordability of emissions technology since you are correct, emissions are here to stay. More manufactures are likely working to secure the in-vehicle networks with SHA-256 hashing and 2048-bit RSA signing encryption plus the ability to force a new key pair so tuning will be very difficult with OEM modules. As vehicles become a type of IoT device, encryption is going to be a requirement. Say everything emissions related had at least one failure, my estimate is $7,000 worth of early repairs (EGR cooler, SCR/DPF unit, DEF hardware; with some labor). I only see this cost increasing. GM is likely headed to an improvement with electric assisted regeneration (EADPF) to reduce the long term fuel cost but I haven't heard anything on that in years. DOE and GM had funded testing at ORNL. I guess the amount of additional electrical needed to produce 1,300°F+ for many minutes in a pickup requires plenty of testing and likely not adding to affordability since assisted means to me the existing hardware/process must remain.

Mine puffs a little soot at 30%+ acceleration from a stop and I don't even like that. It does not at WOT which is great. The trucks that blow soot all over the place annoy me as well, they are a big part of the perception problem. However, as far as tuning, I have made it 11 months without a derate level DTC, a VGT vane issue or an emissions issue. I've not been able to say that since fall 2016 and it is refreshing.

I am a diesel fan. I like the smooth, low RPM towing power. Diesel engines in tractors work well. I would own a diesel lawn mower "just because I can" if the cost wasn't ridiculous. However, I am considering the reality that my next truck for my needs will have the 7.3L gas with a 4:10 or 4:30 depending on how good the gear ratios are on the new 10R140. I guess we will see how the new engine holds up. Currently, my updated plan is to just keep my 2011 until it has an issue that isn't worth repairing.
Great comments, Kper. But you went over my head with that computer encryption talk. Thanks for posting up the info about the electric assisted DPF from GM. I've never heard of that. I definitely agree with you about the furtherance of emissions technology to bring reliability and affordability to the market. Whether guys want to think about it or not, emissions are here to stay. I believe things will change drastically different from today. Diesel ECMs will be harder to hack and more expensive to do it as bobcat has pointed out. Plus I believe that the EPA will start coming after consumers at one point with the help of state law enforcement. I hope I'm wrong here but I do not think so. It's so hard for me not to get political here about the current "change" brainwashing scam going on, so I'll leave it alone for now.

I'm a huge diesel fan. I've always been but now I finally own one. I am curious about the new gas 7.3 also. I'm also curious about how that new 10 speed auto will perform in both the new gas and diesel trucks.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:45 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by bobcat67
Electric assist DPF cleaning would be awesome, but as you said, cost would most likely increase exponentially. Probably have to have a goofy alternator like the eTorque system in the new Ram 1/2 tons. I personally think we will see improvements here in the emissions scene as vehicles become more difficult to tune. There are already some companies specializing in emissions intact tuning for smaller diesel platforms like the EcoDiesel in the rams, such as Green Diesel Engineering. It's relatively expensive all things considered, but it drastically improves engine strategy and is emissions friendly (with some EGR exceptions).
I didn't know what you were talking about with the "eTorque" system. Pretty wild stuff. I believe we will see diesel electric hybrids as well. Only makes sense since diesel moves the world.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:39 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
I didn't know what you were talking about with the "eTorque" system. Pretty wild stuff. I believe we will see diesel electric hybrids as well. Only makes sense since diesel moves the world.
Yes, I think you are correct, and I'm not sure how I feel about the "eTorque" system honestly, however I do like that for their auto stop/start system it uses that little generator, rather than the actual vehicle starter (at least in the jeep models featuring it, not sure on the RAM's. Takes some of the abuse off the starter/fly wheel, etc. I know the F150 3.0L powerstroke uses the auto stop/start, and that's really quite crazy for a diesel in my opinion. However times are changing.
Completely kind of a derail here, but on oil rigs (pretty much in every major field in the USA) natural gas is used in combination with diesel fuel in the engines, they call it bi-fuel. On an average day of drilling in the winter with a 200hp boiler running we would go through roughly 3800-4200 gallons of diesel a day. When using natural gas injection it would go to roughly 1900-2500 gallons of diesel a day. A very substantial savings. Particulate emissions was also lower, we would utilize SCR injection depending on the area and use roughly 100 gallons of urea a day too. I truly wonder if a time will come where we see bi-fuel on a commercial scale like over the road trucks or even engines such as the powerstroke. I could see it being done fairly simply on over the road trucks, but picks would be difficult.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:55 AM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

I recently found out that S&B, because of consumer demand, now offers a "really big filter on a bigger than most stick." So I just thought I'd post the YouTube video with the pretty girl installing it in a last gen 6.7 truck. Enjoy...

Old 12-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by 99150
In these highly competitive times for Max HP and still get Max fuel economy, would the design engineers use something so simple as a fancy tube with a fancy filter on the end if it really worked? You can bet your sweet azz they would!
I know.........this is just my opinion, but.................

Nah, let’s not use this simple idea, but put this other system on because it reduces power and increases fuel consumption!!!
Okay I'm bringing this back from the dead to see if we get any fresh blood to contribute here.

But I also came back because while I found this a while back, I wanted to post then but forgot. I had like 65 pages open on my phone browser and came across this page again. While it uses a RAM air hood, it also uses a COLD AIR INTAKE. And I would imagine they are not using a standard OEM air filter in it either. Banks has proved on a Dyno many times that an improved air intake system with NOT the OEM filter produces more power because of the improvement in air flow through the system, but an increase in the amount of air coming in. JMHO.

http://fordauthority.com/2019/11/shelby-turbo-diesel-hauls-anything-you-want-video/

Apparently the link is not active but copy and paste it. It should work.

Last edited by Overkill2; 12-09-2019 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Add to post
Old 12-09-2019, 09:14 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Okay I'm bringing this back from the dead to see if we get any fresh blood to contribute here.

But I also came back because while I found this a while back, I wanted to post then but forgot. I had like 65 pages open on my phone browser and came across this page again. While it uses a RAM air hood, it also uses a COLD AIR INTAKE. And I would imagine they are not using a standard OEM air filter in it either. Banks has proved on a Dyno many times that an improved air intake system with NOT the OEM filter produces more power because of the improvement in air flow through the system, but an increase in the amount of air coming in. JMHO.

Shelby Turbo Diesel Hauls Anything You Want

Apparently the link is not active but copy and paste it. It should work.
not new blood here, but I too believe there are major gains to be had from an air intake system, and to those that say if they’re so good why doesn’t the factory put them on? The main reason is cost, followed shortly by noise, followed by capacity and efficiency. The stock air box and filter is a happy compromise between all those. Also I truly don’t believe there’s many systems that filter air better than stock. When it comes to dusty conditions if I were a farmer or rancher I’d rather have stock filter and air box. For mostly interstate and city driving, a cold air intake is beneficial.
To add to the factory would install if they were beneficial, look at Ram with the active ram air function on their Cummins equipped Trucks, and GM with their functional ram air hood on the Duramax, personally that’s enough proof for me

Quick Reply: What's everyone running for air intake: OEM or CAI??